Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I am shopping around for a laser cutter for the purpose of cutting paperboard for very small scale architectural models. The price of these cheap Chinese lasers is very appealing, but I'm a huge dummy who has basically zero experience tinkering with hardware or messing with electronics. Is it a terrible idea for someone like me to buy one? Should I bite the bullet on something much more expensive and idiot proof?

Also, how hard is it to get one of these lasers to etch paper like this?:

For scale, that paper is .5mm thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Nevets posted:

If you get lucky like I did you'll get a laser that doesn't need any calibration, all the parts included and works just fine with Windows 10. But since these are all knockoffs of knockoffs with little quality control there isn't really any way to guaranty you get a good one even if you buy yours from the same distributor I got mine from (Orion Motor Tech). If you are willing to risk having to spend some time learning how to align the mirrors, etc. I'd say you've got a pretty decent chance of getting one that works out of the box or just needs some minor adjustment.

As far as capability goes, it will etch or cut paperboard like no tomorrow. I'm holdinging off on playing around with wood and acrylic until I get my air assist and exhaust system upgraded, but I've lasered a few sheets of very thin cardboard:

I'd say this piece was about 0.5mm or a little thicker, with the power dial turned down as low as I could and still get a beam out of the tube. The first engraving is barely etching the cardboard, the last one is so far through you can see light through the engraved portion.

Awesome! I'm thinking it may very well be worth a roll of the dice for the prices I'm seeing. If I'm only ever going to be cutting and etching paperboard, is a 40+W laser overkill? I'm seeing some lasers with single digit wattages that are passively cooled, which sounds appealing. Or is it a case where higher power leads to cleaner/more accurate cuts or something like that?

• Locked thread