Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
Holy poo poo a laser dork thread.

Just read through this quick and a couple things popped out at me. I've found that acrylic itself doesn't stink and it is usually the protective film that makes you want to die. Also, you can filter out the fumes. You just need an exhaust system that costs more than the lasers themselves I've seen people post prices for. Don't ask how I know.

I now have a place where I can post pictures of the dumb poo poo I make with mine.

I can also answer some questions about lasers. Also being dumb and buying the Bentley of laser engravers and cutters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

I made dumb poo poo! Here's a puzzle design I cut as a test.

It's not a great execution but it's ridiculously satisfying to slide a piece in where it fits perfectly.

Nice. I really need to work on my puzzle making. You draw that yourself?

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Playing around with making some night lights. Everyone wants the Eye of Sauron observing them as they go down the hallway in the middle of the night to take a piss, right? Still need to work on this, find some paint, fix the laser annihilating the tips of the tower.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

I use Coreldraw X8 (now) and used X7 before. I have not had the issue of it moving objects around at all. I'm sort of familiar with the Epilog and I'm glad I don't have to deal with positioning in that manner. Does the driver not allow you to position the job to where the laser is actually sitting? I know you can have the jobs independent of the computer, can they not be moved around?

I really like Coreldraw, it handily beats Adobe Stockholm Syndrome, I mean Illustrator on a pure UI basis, nevermind workflow and curve handling. There are things I like about Illustrator that Corel doesn't have, but not enough to actually want to use it.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

I made some refrigerator magnets. Laser printed cardstock glued with Super 77 to 1/8" hardboard, rare earth magnets super glued on the back.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Trotec. With the camera and rotary attachment. Was ~45k.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

If I drop black 6mm circles on an artwork I would like to cut out, the camera will go and find them and know exactly where it is supposed to cut. Slightly crooked when you place it in the laser bed? Adjusts for that. The printer scaled it 1%, it'll adjust for that. It is accurate enough I don't put bleeds in.

Print this on a laser printer:

Send this cut file to the laser cutter/engraver

Cuts on the red after finding the black circles. I have more trouble with the laser printer registration than I do with the engraver.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

You'll need a fan to pull the burning smells away and out a window or something, but mostly that's how they work.

In practice you might end up needing to insert an extra step in the workflow where you export from your design program and import it into the laser cutter's software but not necessarily.

Ventilation also keeps fires to a minimum. Air assists help too.

I've cut paper before and it works pretty good, although it can brown the edge of the paper a little bit.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Cloud based software? Fuuuuuck that.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

The March Hare posted:

Hi thread, does a laser cutter exist that can go through thin paper (under 1mm) without burning it (or maybe more precisely without leaving a burnt edge) for under $1,000? Don't need a bed bigger than A4.

I use mine to cut paper. There is minimal burning if you play with the settings a whole bunch. Any laser should be able to work with that. One for less than a 1000 bux? No idea.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

I finally realized that it wasn't the burned acrylic that stinks, but the protective sheeting on some of them. If it is removed before cutting, it almost doesn't stink at all. Still need to vent though.

It's that or my nose has been broken and I am immune to the smell.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

No, acrylic itself still stinks when cut. It's got a really sharp acrid smell that I would describe as like a very powerful rotting celery.

I know that a lot of people just vent their laser cutters outdoors but I can't quite understand how that's ethical. If you're only cutting wood well whatever that's just a campfire but the plastic smells are god-awful.

Oh it will stink, but when I had the cover sheet on it was way, way worse. I only figured it out after cutting a different one and it didn't smell nearly as bad. I generally left the bottom one one, since that is where most of the flame outs occur.

If I was doing a poo poo load of acrylic, I would hook up the filter, but I cut mostly wood which clogs that thing like crazy, so outside it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

peepsalot posted:

I'd also be genuinely interested in hearing about filtration options available for these. Is it even feasible/safe to consider some filtration setup that doesn't vent outside at all? I imagine that if something sufficient exist its would be prohibitively expensive?

It is possible. Cheap? I doubt it. My filtration was 7000 CAD. But you don't smell anything at all. It's probably the 65 pounds of activated charcoal that does it in addition to all the other filters.

• Locked thread