Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

dyne posted:

Why can't they just filter the exhaust through a bunch of activated charcoal granules?

At our hackerspace, this is exactly what we do. We bought a giant charcoal filter from a :420: Hydroponic Supply Store :420:, and ran the laser through that. We still vent it outside for the smoke, but that allows us to vent directly over an outside sidewalk without complaints from the other tenants in the building. Works great, can't smell a thing, and the filter is still high-flow. We have to change out the charcoal every 3 months or so with heavy use. We have an airflow switch inline with the safety cut-off, so the laser won't fire unless there's sufficient airflow through the filter.

We've actually got a smaller (40w, ~8x12) laser on a fancy official laser filter device, venting indoors. It's just a giant bed of charcoal, plus a HEPA filter. No odor, no smoke from that one at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

huhu posted:

Would this material be decent for laser cutting?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboard-Tempered-Common-1-8-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Actual-0-125-in-x-23-75-in-x-47-75-in-7005015/202088786

Edit, or this: https://www.officesupply.com/craft-supplies/paint-more/surfaces/dowels-craft-sticks-more/plywood-sheet/p452491.html

The two answers I've found thus far are rather vague. My only requirements for material are something that's 1/8" thick and is super cheap. I don't care about what the final product looks like, just trying to design a basic box with makercase.com to create.

I've had really mixed results with Hardboard. I've bought sheets that cut beautifully, like butter, and I've had sheets that char, and make a mess, and are impossible to work with.

That said, if you're working with >40 watts, probably no problem at all.

• Locked thread