Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I had posted in the CNC thread about taking my first steps into CNC milling, maybe getting a desktop kit or even build one myself. It was recommended to me that for my needs, I'd maybe want a laser cutter instead. First, here's what I posted in the CNC thread:

quote:

I've had this project I've wanted to do for years. I "collect" comic books, quoting because I don't care for the collecting part of it. I buy comics to read them. Putting them into longboxes in my closet never interested me. What I've always wanted to do is to put collections of my single-issue comics on my bookshelf, along with my trade paperbacks and hardcovers. My idea is custom-sized magazine holders[url]. The kind you buy at the store, they just come in one size. I want specific sizes for each collection. I have stories ranging from three issues to twenty six and beyond. I made these out of cardboard and duct tape; [url=http://i.imgur.com/lQJQdBG.jpg?1]they came out alright. I wasn't satisfied with the process, though. It took too long to make each one, and they aren't as strong as I'd like. They just don't hold up well. I stopped making them, and have struggled with conceptualizing a new design ever since.

Last week, I just had a thought: CNC mill! My problem has always been material; cardboard just isn't going to cut it, but I can't work with anything stronger. If I went with wood or plastic, I'd need something like a jigsaw, but that's still going to require a little more time than I would like. Plus, I wouldn't trust myself in being able to get measurements well enough to insure that the build will be sturdy and tight. But I imagine this would be pretty easy to pull off with a CNC mill. On top of that, I could use a 3 axis mill to do engraving for labeling the titles and creators on the books.

I have two concerns about this. First, cost. I want to go the DIY route. Does anyone have experience with that? My goal is a 3 axis mill that can work an area of about 12" x 12". The second concern is the mess. I live in an apartment, and I don't think I'd want to keep this out in my patio. I think I could get away keeping it on my desk, but what could I do with all the chips and dust? Do you build an enclosure around your mill? And if so, is it easy to clean it out?

I actually have some past experience with the world of CNC; about 7-8 years ago I worked for BobCAD-CAM. If anyone owns V23 of their software, I designed the disc and DVD cover for it.

The laser cutter does make a lot of sense for me. The main use I'm looking out of this would be to carve wood about 1/4" or so thick, making jig joints. I have a lot of concerns about the laser cutter, though.

* The unreliability of the Chinese product. I'm no stranger to buying products from the East, understanding that it could turn out to be a lemon. I jumped on the bandwagon a few years ago when people figured out that Korea was making cheap 28" LCD monitors. But with that I know what to expect, and I know what it would look like if it doesn't work. I wouldn't know how to inspect a laser cutter for damage or defect. My biggest fear is I get the K40, I try to use it, it doesn't work and I am just left clueless as to why. I love the price, but man, I'd love to spend a little more to get a tested product.

* I live in an apartment. A desktop CNC machine would have its own issues here too, but with the laser cutter I am worried about fumes. I expect to use this thing beyond my little woodworking project, and get into plastics. I get that I can have the fumes sent to a windows, I think I can pull that off, but that doesn't just make the problem disappear. I have neighbors literally right on top of me.

* A laser cutter is similar to a 2.5 axis CNC mill, I imagine. That's all I'd need for my comic book holder project, but again, I'm going to want to expand, and the idea of full 3 axis milling is very interesting.

* But it's not true 2.5 axis, is it? One reason why CNC sounds like my solution, and not something hand-made, is the engraving. A laser cutter won't actually engrave, though, right? It doesn't create so much depth, as it scorches or etches the material. The idea I had is that I would carry over what I did with my previous design: using duct tape, I had boxes made of different colors. DC is blue, Marvel is red, Batman is black, etc etc. With engraving, I could keep all the boxes plain wood, but color in the engraving. I think it would look good. Laser cutting etching looks really sharp too, but I think the colors would help each box stand out more in my bookshelf.

After all that, there is still a lot going for the laser cutter. It seems like a cheaper point of entry, and it appears easier as well. I'm especially disappointed with the cost of desktop CNC. In my research, I see that the whole point of the first Shapeoko was the ridiculous price that they got it down. Fast forward to now and the current model is about a thousand bucks. I think if I could find a Shakeopo 2 for sale, which originally retailed around $600, I'd jump at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread