Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Sounds like you need to tune your PID loops bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No. It's unproven, will have relatively poor support, and all of the extras are mostly gimmicks for non-technical people. Also the filtration claims they make are dubious.

Look into getting an Epilog, they're barely more money and are fantastic in every way.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Dirk the Average posted:

The entry level model is nearly triple the price! They look fantastic, but that's quite a bit of money to shell out.

I could have sworn I saw a link to a distributor selling the Epilog 40W for $4500.

Maybe I was thinking Full Spectrum, which is also really solid. There's a TechShop-like outfit nearby that's been running them 24/7 for a couple years now, and keep buying more.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Dirk the Average posted:

Hah, good point. Yeah, my big limiting factor is a lack of adequate ventilation combined with an unsuitable place to really put a laser cutter. I've got access to exactly one window that might work for venting fumes, but it's into the middle of an apartment complex, and people might be a tad upset when smelling burned acrylic while swimming (both windows also open horizontally and I'm on a ground floor, so actually venting anything is a tricky situation even if I pump fumes into a public space). The low price + air filter are the only things really attracting me to the glowforge, and if those don't live up to the advertising, then it's not exactly worth buying.

I might have to put together one of these Chinese monstrosities instead. Is there a good way to build a ventilation setup? I can stick to cutting wood instead of acrylic to reduce any toxic fumes.

Couple things:

Anyone claiming to be able to filter out acrylic with no odour without external ventilation is lying.

Acrylic isn't toxic! It's quite unpleasant, though.

Burning wood isn't really that much better, tbh.

At my hackspace we were kicking around the idea of a water bubbler filtration. Like a bong. We ended up deciding not to do it because it sounded like a pain in the rear end to change water and dispose of it, and you won't get volunteers to do it, but that might be different if it's your own personal cutter.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I made a bunch of predictions, so I am super curious if I'm right. Please report back when it arrives and gets used and stuff.

I think it will ruin your life!

Does look really pretty, though.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You need a HV power supply for the tube itself, but I don't see why a 3D printer driver wouldn't work, for the most part. Make sure the motor drivers are capable of handling the motors. All of the lasers I've used have way bigger steppers than 3D printer steppers.

I'd be a little more hesitant about changing mechanical design. Moving the tube is a tricky thing. What if some scrap wood falls and gets caught in the path? No more $1000 laser tube :(

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Our hackspace got an 80W RedSail a few years ago. IIRC, they replaced the controller because it was junk, and some other modifications to the electrical system.

Other than that, it's been fine, I guess. Software is crappy, but usable once you get the hang of it.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm so excited for all the schadenfreude from all the people that impulse bought a pretty-but-totally-untested laser cutter :allears:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I designed, cut, and assembled a box in under half an hour last month.

Best case, climate changes will throw out your calibration every season. Worst case, it will gently caress everything up! Lasers are precision pieces of glassware. I wouldn't do it.

ante fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 3, 2016

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I did a few experiments a couple years ago. The mode of glass being etched looks like the glass heating up quickly in a very localised spot and then chipping off. My tests without masking tape looked like they had a much larger (read: much blurrier) etch area. Your lines look way better than mine ever did.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Mister Sinewave posted:

I actually have one of those. The laser is a "burning" laser, it's not ionizing radiation like from an e.g. CO2 laser. In other words, the laser makes hot and melts/burns. That's fine for some kinds of etching and junk (I get pretty nice results on thermal paper for example at a really low duty cycle, and no ventilation needed because no smoke or fumes.) However it won't cut anything except by burning it.

I've meant to see what it can do to chocolate (will it melt it a little, enough to write on the chocolate by basically annealing it?) and had some nutso idea to try carving into wax with it or something. But besides that and the probably malware-ridden driver program there's nothing much to say about it. This was some 500mW diode one.

The difference in power level and air assist makes the engraver turn cutter. Ionizing radiation is a very different thing :)

And yeah, that kit looks like probably not as good a deal as the AliExpress kits because the machine parts (the expensive parts) aren't included.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

LurkingAsian posted:

Its supposedly capable of marking metal.

Hahaha no, absolutely not. It'll activate Thermark, though, which is rad and can provide centre marks and outlines such for finishing with hand tools.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm gonna laser etch a whole bunch of stones with rude phrases and seed them all over the local beaches

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Fleedar posted:

Awesome! I'm thinking it may very well be worth a roll of the dice for the prices I'm seeing. If I'm only ever going to be cutting and etching paperboard, is a 40+W laser overkill? I'm seeing some lasers with single digit wattages that are passively cooled, which sounds appealing. Or is it a case where higher power leads to cleaner/more accurate cuts or something like that?

Oh you'll find a use for it :getin:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Aluminum is non reflective in the wavelength that CO2 lasers emit, but yeah, not really enough energy to do anything. I like to use spraypaint or moly dry lube to make marks on metal, and could full-power it all day without making a mark on the metal itself.

I hear rumours of people using pure oxygen assist and actually managing to cut metal, research and report back?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Dented bearings maybe?

I wouldn't go spraying that stuff willy nilly. Don't be lazy. Do it right.

thegasman2000 posted:

Does anyone have a smaller Chinese laser like the neje? I want one for burning monograms and logos on stuff and the size is great but my items (chopping boards for example) are larger so I wonder if I can cut the thing apart to take a larger work piece.

There are some larger frames for around the same price based on aluminum extrusion

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Don't buy Kickstarter laser cutters, don't buy Kickstarter 3D printers. Ever!

I can't think of a single case where people wouldn't have been better served just by chilling and ignoring the hype.

This field is moving too fast for that. For every machine that will be purchased in anticipation of receiving it two years later, there will be a better or cheaper one six months out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
No, nothing in those sub-100W lasers will be able to engrave metal. Look into Thermark or Cermark if you just want to make marks, and but there won't be any actual engraving without a $40,000 fibre laser.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I got dry moly to work okay. Seemed pretty permanent, but not so consistent in density.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Good laser cutters pretty much are like that, yeah

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also, I wouldn't buy a Glowforge.

They have the marketing machine very well oiled, but everything I've seen about them has confirmed that they're pretty low value compared to Chinese equivalents, or even other American companies

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Everything I've seen about them seems like overpriced hardware with the "easy software" marketing that may indeed make it easier for beginners starting out, but will ultimately limit you and over process your poo poo when you know exactly what you want.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Lots of people doing art-focused stuff in Processing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The plugin system for Inkscape provides a couple SVG helper object, but for the most part, you're interacting with SVG directly in Python.

• Locked thread