Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I know this is unrelated but I am really genuinely curious about what need you had for a high powered rocket and what sorts of things you do / did with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That is super loving awesome! What do you think of guys like the Copenhagen Suborbitals? Do you think it's possible to make orbit without being a major government or Elon Musk?

Holy poo poo. I mean, the closest I get to rocketry is flight droning or maybe playing Kerbal Space Program. I didn't know such things were possible, actually. gently caress, that's awesome.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I designed the shape as a sketch in Fusion 360, exported as DXF, imported to Laser CAD, and cut from there.

Speaking of that: "The issue with contemporary lasers is that they require the operator to do a lot of things that have nothing to do with lasers."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R3mMUsHFvU

Is this as big a deal as he makes it out to be?

edit: The glowforge laser is an IR cutting laser that's had most of the China stripped out and replaced with something that allows it to work with an iPad. No auto-cad or knowledge of machine code required.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 1, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Let's say you were only interested in the project for the theoretical, "take jigsaw 1/4" plywoodcutting skills, apply to acetylene torch head for 1/4" steel-cutting" purposes.

e: I do not know Autocad and I have other matters requiring my attention.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 2, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
That's actually something that really interests me about the Glowforge. I've been reading up lately on fly-by-wire redundancy requirements and more recently, NASA's IFCS for purposes of flight droning. The subject of machine learning interests me. If a guy can get a robot to adjust both speed and power (something I never figured out myself for MIG welding) for a laser, on the fly, and then remember that setting for later use, I figure maybe also it's possible to teach a flight drone to lean into the wind constantly instead of bouncing between "Perfectly Level Flight" and OH poo poo GPS IS OFF TARGET BETTER VEER SHARPLY over and over again.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

Holy gently caress. This exists now? Jesus.

Do you have any idea what's possible with such technology? You could do away with the entire idle system on your carburetor. You could precisely control the flow of coolant in a reflux column. This has applications for both moonshining and the oil industry.

Edit: If you could design a temperature sensor that outputs to software, you could regulate your BBQ to use less gas once you got water up to boiling. That would save a ton of propane for water purification. You could do something similar with a HVAC system to save on energy costs. I probably can't even think of all the things you could do with a PID controller.

I mean, I had no idea that you could get a computer to control such things. I mean, I know the software is there, but I didn't know that sensors existed that a computer could read in order to know what to do. I thought you could only do that kind of stuff in minecraft.

Let's say someone wanted to take a highschool basic 101 introductory course to PID controllers. Could you recommend any reading material?

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 6, 2015

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I am from a place where highschool textbooks are from 1967. By the time I graduated from university, you could send an "E-mail" (in quotation marks) to your professor (but not in lieu of a written copy) if you wished to prove on-time submission.

I am not up to date on the topic of how computers are able to interface with human concepts of physical space (beyond keyboard, mouse, monitor, gaming peripherals, and speakers). Did you know that someone stuck a zoom lens on a mouse and got it make a flight drone use it to maintain position more precisely than it could with gps alone? I didn't until about 3 months ago.

Not sarcasm. Curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I only shitpost on facebook.

• Locked thread