Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
Im considering taking the plunge and gambling on one of these cheap laser cutters. There seems to be three main models available at the moment:

The K40 small cutter for about $350 or so:

This 500mm x 300mm 50W one for around $1450:

And this 700mm x 500mm 60W one for $1600

I know the K40 can be kind of ok if you tinker around with it, but has anyone had any experience with the larger ones? Is the build quality on them just as poo poo as the K40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Aurium posted:

So it's hard to actually sperate out what people are talking about, but I've seen a few people talking about the larger cutters as having substantially better build quality/not being built down to price so much, and often coming with nice controllers like a DSP.

Do you have links to those ones convenient?

I've found a little more information about the 60W one, its apparently a clone of a RedSail X700 eBay link

I cant find out too much about the 50W one, or what model its a copy of. There are a few youtube videos around, but not too much detailed info. eBay Link

From what limited info I can find, the bigger ones seem to have much better build quality and a DSP. There are still reports of cracked laser tubes and things fallen off inside the shell, but it seems to be a transit issue rather than a build one.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

I ended up taking a gamble and ordering one of these. $2900 AUD and 1 week later it arrived. I'll try post more thoughts as I use it more, but initial thoughts:
- It comes with honeycomb and a powered Z-axis which was a surprise
- Has a red aiming laser, which seems aimed wrong, but that should be a simple fix
- Laser tube was already installed, and it doesnt look like a terrible job either
- Only 1 mystery bolt laying around!
- Its not a 60w laser, but that was expected.

We've hooked everything up and tested the pulse on the laser, now we just have to hook it up to a PC and try cutting something. The seems aimed pretty well, but i'll probably do some tests to make sure.

I also want to install an ammeter so we can gauge what power level is actually 100% of whatever tube is in there. I think tubes are supposed to draw around 18-20 mA, and anything more than that is generally damaging the tube..

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mister Sinewave posted:

Finished engraving after removing masking.

Nice, we are looking to try leather engraving/cutting, what do you use to mask your leather? And do you mind sharing what settings you find best for your leather? It looks like its about 4-5mm veg tan?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Sound_man posted:

How would this thing survive in a non climate controlled garage? I live in Tennessee so it won't get too cold but maybe down in the 40s. My other option is setting it up in a spare bedroom.

Most machines ive seen are in a non-climate-controlled warehouses or garages and it doesnt seem to affect them very much. The main issue is that your materials get cold and sometimes you need to tweak the speed/power a little.

I should note that i'm in Australia though, so temps only get down to like, 2-4degC at the very worst just before dawn, so take that as you will...

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
What does everyone use for their cooling?

At the moment I have a bucket of water and some ice bricks, but I'm looking at some more permanent cooling solution. The CW-3000 that comes with many cutters is apparently a radiator+fan thing, whereas the CW-5000 that everyone recommends is refrigerated. Both of those seem pretty expensive. Has anyone done anything weird that works well? I was thinking an icecream maker (one with a compressor) might be able to cool the water enough, and they are reasonably cheap..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

CADPAT posted:

Hey Gumby, can you shoot me an email?

Sent a thing.

Ice-cream maker update!

I found a used one on gumtree for $75AUD (score!). It was cheap because they lost the paddle, which is great for me since i was going to throw that out anyway.

So far it seems like it will do the job, it keeps the water cooled even though i'm just threading a coil of plastic aquarium tubing through the chiller. Once I get a nicer coil of copper tubing or something I think it will cool a lot better. I'll have to do some tests to see whether it still keeps it cool while the laser is sustained at 100%, but its looking promising.

• Locked thread