Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Have you considered using the spare tube to create a metal powder based 3d printer? That would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
You can also get argon from welding supply places pretty easily.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Slanderer posted:

Is that laser completely unenclosed? :ohdear:
Looks like an industrial power one so it's likely in a huge enclosure with a light and camera inside for the video.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Nah I think the real comedy option would be to go full Biodome and use a poo poo ton of cigarette butts to make a filter.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
While you're at it you should see if kydex will behave with the laser. Assuming it won't put off noxious vapors of course. ed: looks like the answer to is it safe to do kydex is gently caress no don't do it.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 28, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
In exchange for helping her figure out the nitty gritty on the machine I am going to get near unlimited use of a smaller full-spectrum cutter. :w00t:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Okay gently caress full spectrum and their lovely software. Been fighting with one of their setups for 8 hours now and still no respectable results.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Didn't get a response in the CNC thread so I'll ask here too, has anyone tried the JTech Photonics laser kit? It looks interesting, much lower power than the Chinese IR cutters, but my main interests are burning photos into wood and possibly using it to make masks on PCBs with laser printer toner anyways.
http://jtechphotonics.com/?product=new-2-8w-laser-and-2-5amp-safety-compliant-driver-kit-with-us-style-power-adapter

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Do you have a link? I'm finding a bunch of CO2 lasers and other random stuff like hair removal lasers instead.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I'm okay with it not cutting since etching/burning is my focus, but poo poo it'd be nice if it did both.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Oh look, something I can attach to my shapeoko. :getin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusable-h...ScAAOSwxp9W9Uug

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mister Sinewave posted:

Comes with good quality safe! !1! glasses? I'm sold :razz:
So quality!

I'm hoping that I can get this shortly and find a way to mount it that still leaves the router on the shapeoko. How rad would it be to be able to laser something and then mill it out? :hellyeah:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well I don't know of any cheaper gantry only kits but if you look up the info on the old shapeoko 1s and 2s there will be plenty of info on how the gantry works. You should also be able to simplify things since a z-axis won't be required.

There's also the cheaper very low power kits like what was linked a page or two, you might be able to find one that doesn't come with a diode.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I keep waffling on exactly what I'm going to stick to my shapeoko, but I think I've finally settled on a jtech photonics kit. Known plus side with it is it will handle PWM for burning photos, and from what little I've been able to find online from folks who have bought it they seem to have really good customer support if something goes awry or is just plain confusing.

Now to actually work up the nerve to drop the money on it. :negative:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Have any of you guys with the chinese CO2 lasers tried the inkscape plug in for generating code?
https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2012

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Is a 500mw blue diode enough for me to burn line art into wood?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Rad. Was about to snag one but noticed a 1w version for about $10 more currently. So I ordered it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-1200...DQAAOSwll1Wxcxt

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I have one of these on my desk now. :getin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000mW-1200...DQAAOSwll1Wxcxt

Gotta figure out a mount and then time to fire that fucker up. :getin:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Would the 40 to 90w CO2 lasers be suitable for making laser pinholes in aluminum flashing? I believe it's about .015" thick, though it'll also be reflective as hell. What'd be ideal is if it could punch the pinhole and then cut out a square or circular shape around it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I saw a pure oxygen assist setup in a vid I didn't have time to really look at in depth and the dude was apparently cutting thin steel with his co2 laser. That's pretty cool, but dang that's gotta be risky.

What kind of eye protection do you have to use with these lasers anyways? His wasn't enclosed and I didn't see if he said anything about eye protection.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I've been procrastinating on getting that 1W dealie set up on my shapeoko, but the plus side is work is having me take a fiber optics course so by the end of the week I should know everything needed to hook the diode (or another if mine isn't the right size) to one of these awesome fiber coupled collimators.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiber-Optic-Collimator-for-Laser-Diode-Engraver-Etch-Cut-ST-Connector/251597123585

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Bought one of the K40s from a coworker today and my plan is to pull out the control board and swap it with something else, probably either an Arduino + Gshield or maybe even a TinyG. Has anyone else here tried this?

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
There was someone on youtube that got their CO2 laser to etch and possibly even cut thin steel, but they did it by pumping a lot of pure oxygen into the enclosure. Seems like a very very bad idea.

edit: did a search and apparently there are a fair number of folks doing this with 150+ watt lasers, but instead of filling the enclosure they replaced the air assist with an oxygen feed. Less of a bad idea, but still seems risky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnuSO7eIkVY

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread