Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DRUNK HISTORY SEASON 3 PREMIERES TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st AT 10:30 PM EST

quote:

http://tvimpulse.com/comedy-central-sets-summer-premiere-dates-for-another-period-the-meltdown-more=40826

“Drunk History” returns for a third season of pairing inebriated storytellers with A-list talent to reenact great moments in history with unforgettable results. Created for television by series host Derek Waters and director Jeremy Konner, “Drunk History” takes viewers on a tour of cities across America, providing a unique take on the familiar and less familiar people and events from our country’s great past. As told by narrators who stumble and slur their way through the re-telling, season two segments featured guest stars including Jack Black, Courteney Cox, David Cross, Charlie Day, Laura Dern, Emily Deschanel, Nathan Fielder, Johnny Knoxville, Nick Kroll, John Lithgow, Jordan Peele, Joe Lo Truglio, Jack McBrayer, Stephen Merchant, Patton Oswalt, Busy Philips, Jason Ritter, Winona Ryder, among many others. This season the show takes on stories about Cleveland, New Jersey, Miami, New Orleans, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, space, inventors, games, spies, and journalism, covering everything from the invention of motion pictures to the rise and fall of the Cocaine Godmother and the truth behind Roswell.

In case you're reading this thread and you're not familiar with Drunk History, here's what you need to know. Our host, Derek Waters, goes to the house of some sort of comedian or writer and plies them with liquor (or beer or wine, whatever's going to go down easiest). Throughout the course of the night, he asks them to recount a story, in their own words, from American History that they've researched previously. They film it, and drinking continues until the storyteller can no longer stand.

They then edit the various retellings together into one cohesive story, typically using the drunkest take each time they can get away with it. (I feel it's important to mention that they do make a concerted effort to make sure the final product is as historically accurate as possible, making the show somewhat educational!) They then have actors portray the actions and dialogue being recounted by the storyteller, using both a pool of talented house actors combined with a very impressive list of guest actors. Seriously, check out the names on the Drunk History Wikipedia page for a full list of actors who have appeared on this show.

Links:

Drunk History official Comedy Central Page - Watch every episode from Seasons 1 and 2, plus some cool behind the scenes features
Drunk History Wikipedia page - Contains a full list of storytellers and actors from each episode
Season 1 archived thread
Season 2 archived thread
AV Club article Parts One and Two - some really interesting insight into the process of filming Drunk History, including detailed notes from Derek Waters and Jeremy Konner on each episode in Season 1

timp fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag posted:

I have a friend who insists that they fake being drunk in this show. You know, acting for the sake of being entertaining.

I suspect the Harmon segment is gonna put that to rest.

Well there's definitely a spectrum of drunkenness. Jonah Ray (Season 2, Hawaii, Captain Cook) probably got the least drunk of anyone in the first two seasons (they give him a lot of poo poo over it in the DVD commentary and extra features)

But Kyle Kinane (Season 1, Chicago, Haymarket Riot) and Drew Droege (Season 2, Hollywood, Ronald Reagan) stand out to me as just being obliterated, moreso than any others I can recall. If they were faking they sure as hell fooled me.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maya Rudolph is a goddamn natural at this

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:hellyeah:

I will definitely be adding any gifs posted in this thread to the OP so throw em up if ya got em! This is quite possibly the most giffable show on TV right now, especially when subtitled.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wagnike2 posted:

I guess that I expected too much from the Harmon hype, I enjoyed it.. but wasn't blown away from what I thought it'd be.

Considering Derek had mentioned before the premiere that his interview with Dan Harmon was the drunkest he's ever been in his life...yeah, I was expecting something really crazy. It was a good segment, definitely funny, but not off the rails like an evening with Kyle Kinane or Jen Kirkman.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I really like Gloria Calderon Kellett as narrator. It's always good when they're clearly enthusiastic about the subject matter.

Yeah I noticed during this story that her way of storytelling fits Drunk History perfectly. The second story about Sam the Banana Man is another reason why I love this show so much. Apparently some punk teenager tries a banana in the late 1800's, loves it, and notices people dumping ripe bananas overboard. He convinces them to sell the ripe bananas to him instead and proceeds to make $100,000 selling bananas in America before he's 21. Who the gently caress knew?!

Overall I think this was one of the best episodes yet, certainly the best episode of this season so far. The other episodes have taken a rewatch for me to truly appreciate, which is typical for me and this show, but this one was even great live; can't wait to rewatch it!

The moment I had to rewind for was such a short, stupid moment, but when Young Louie Armstrong is riding around on his horse with his cornet and he plays a little melody and goes "We're comiiin!" That little kid just nailed the facial expression on that and it cracked me up.

EDIT: more info on Sam the Banana man for any who are curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Zemurray

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Solice Kirsk posted:

"I'm druuuuuuunk!" *cracks Derrick's back

Louis Armstrong: "I'm drunk, I'll do whatever the gently caress you want"

Bubbles King Oliver's reaction to that before quickly cutting back to Daryl was hilarious

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Watervodka sounds like almost a good idea.

I've played it...you pretty much just expect to drink vodka every time so it's less about a shock from sudden liquor than it is occasionally being disappointed/relieved by water.

Lol Regulated to the anals of history

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've just been really impressed in general with this season. It's borderline embarrassing how much I love this show so it's hard to be subjective. I've said this before, but even the segments that I don't find as funny still make me laugh based on the overarching premise of the show just being so goddamn great.

You'd almost expect the narrators to get more self-aware or self-conscious the more seasons are filmed since at that point they know the deal, know what Derek's looking for, what he's likely to use and not use. But y'know, that's the funny thing about alcohol - it makes you not give a gently caress! So the narration has still been fantastic. There's been some really great new narrators this season too!

I think this show is also cool in that it gives actors the chance to play a role they would otherwise never be considered for, ever...like Steve Little as Mark Twain, or Thomas Middleditch as Sam the Banana Man. And Michael Cera in the journalism episode was great too...haven't rewatched yet but it seemed like he was really enjoying being able to play a tough leader as opposed to his normal mousey roles.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another great episode, and once again I'm mostly just blown away that these are actual, factual stories of American History. What the poo poo was up with the founder of the Boy Scouts? What a weirdo!

Also I feel this season's thread is severely lacking in the gif department...may need to bite the bullet and make a few of my own before too long!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

hey now

don't be like that

I wish I could find a source with the subs in for gif-making purposes.

drat that's one hot, hot lady-wolf

I wonder if Derek asked him to tell the story that way or if that guy just thought it'd be funny to frame it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

Is this just American history? I saw a few episodes when it started and it was funny, but that was a major downside for me. I wanna see them get into some of the crazy poo poo that happened in Europe or Asia.

Technically it's just American History, yeah. But there have been quite a few stories that mostly took place in Europe that just had some sort of tie to America...the most recent episode discussing Wernher von Braun, for instance.

Just so you know, there apparently is a UK version of Drunk History that would presumably feature more World History, but by all accounts it's absolute trash, not even a little bit funny.

e: typo

timp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 25, 2015

• Locked thread