Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

asio posted:

What do you mean, its a privilege to live in Australia? It's a right. The root cause of the problem is nationalism. Obligations my testicle. You are obligated to treat people like human beings.

It isn't border controls problem who comes here and how they act, it's our problem, as the people who live in this society.

What right does someone have to just leave wherever they currently are and come here to live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Unimpressed posted:

No I mean it's a privilege for people who aren't Australians to come into Australia. As in, we don't have any obligation to let them in. The only non Australians we have an obligation to let it are asylum seekers. Do you think anyone who wants to should be able to just come? What about come and live here?

Who's arguing that again?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

Who's arguing that again?

Asio was, read his post.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Unimpressed posted:

No I mean it's a privilege for people who aren't Australians to come into Australia. As in, we don't have any obligation to let them in. The only non Australians we have an obligation to let it are asylum seekers. Do you think anyone who wants to should be able to just come? What about come and live here?

I understood perfectly what you meant. We have every obligation to "let them in". Who are you, or we, to give or withhold permission for someone to travel to Australia? Or live their life here? And who is " them"?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

gay picnic defence posted:

What right does someone have to just leave wherever they currently are and come here to live?

Are you trolling?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

asio posted:

I understood perfectly what you meant. We have every obligation to "let them in". Who are you, or we, to give or withhold permission for someone to travel to Australia? Or live their life here? And who is " them"?

We are the citizens of Australia and them is the non citizens of Australia. Why do they just have a right to come and live here? Why can't we have a say about who can and can't come and live here? You sound like you're advocating for anyone to be able to migrate here, yet you accuse gay picnic of trolling when he puts that to you.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

asio posted:

Who are you, or we, to give or withhold permission for someone to travel to Australia?

The people who already live here? I don't see why people should accept their lives being made worse off just because someone wants to leave their own country and live here instead.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Unimpressed posted:

Asio was, read his post.

Oh right, I mean he's expanding the scope of the argument beyond what Amethyst was on about, but I've personally got no problem with it. What's yours?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh right, I mean he's expanding the scope of the argument but I've personally got no problem with that. What's yours?

Well, I have every problem with the idea that anyone can just come over and become a citizen of this country. For starters that would completely undermine the already weakening social contract. If 10 million people come here next year, do you think we will still be supporting unemployed people with even the meagre hand out that is Newstart?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does this seem likely? Regardless, it's a moot point, migration control isn't going anywhere soon. I'd like to see restrictions lifted on a global scale, but that's more than a little idealistic I know

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

Tell me why you think you should be allowed free entry to every country ever. What actually gives you the right to do that? I'm curious as to your thought process.

White male.

Duh.

It's why Human Rights Commissioner Tim Wilson believes the single most important issue facing him is the right of wealthy white men to say 'friend of the family'.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Well, I have every problem with the idea that anyone can just come over and become a citizen of this country. For starters that would completely undermine the already weakening social contract. If 10 million people come here next year, do you think we will still be supporting unemployed people with even the meagre hand out that is Newstart?

Firstly, your 10 million people/ new start example is ludicrous. There are more ways to skin a cat than letting it drown while border force watches.

Secondly, you are assuming that border force is responsible for allowing people in that live to your standard when the burden is on you as their neighbour.

Third, the idea that you have a concept of the "right" kind of migrant is arrogant. "Just anyone"? You are not that fantastic a person yourself. You are an Australian, after all.

Your fourth sin was trying to make me care more about unemployed folk and the horror that is newstart. This is twofold: one problem is not inferior to the other, and the nation can afford to increase both welfare and the population.

Edit

Lizard Combatant posted:

Does this seem likely? Regardless, it's a moot point, migration control isn't going anywhere soon. I'd like to see restrictions lifted on a global scale, but that's more than a little idealistic I know

Migration control doesn't need to have the nature it has now, though. There is no problem with having someone at the gate looking out. It's when that person is a bully and the people inside are cowards is the problem.

asio fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 30, 2015

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

asio posted:

Firstly, your 10 million people/ new start example is ludicrous. There are more ways to skin a cat than letting it drown while border force watches.

Secondly, you are assuming that border force is responsible for allowing people in that live to your standard when the burden is on you as their neighbour.

Third, the idea that you have a concept of the "right" kind of migrant is arrogant. "Just anyone"? You are not that fantastic a person yourself. You are an Australian, after all.

Your fourth sin was trying to make me care more about unemployed folk and the horror that is newstart. This is twofold: one problem is not inferior to the other, and the nation can afford to increase both welfare and the population.

Firstly, I'm not talking about asylum seekers, we have an obligation under the law and under human decency to allow them to come here and seek safe haven and not be put into concentration camps. I'm talking about letting say anyone from any country just come and live here.

Secondly, If you just open up our borders do you really think it's impossible for a few million people, maybe even 10 million to come over to one of the richest countries in the world in the span of one year? I don't think it would be unreasonable.

Thirdly, I never said there was a "right" kind of migrant and I never claimed to be fantastic. So I'm not sure which orifice you're pulling that out from.

Fourthly I wasn't trying to make you care about anything, in fact I couldn't give two fucks about what you care about. I was thinking to myself actually, what the meaning of our national grouping is to me. And the social contract is what came up. I feel more obliged to support a poor person in Australia than a poor person in the UK or in the US, or in Kenya for that matter. I do feel more obliged to support a poor person in Kenya than a poor person in the US because Kenya is a poorer country than the US. So to me countries are about internal obligation, and breaking the boundary of what a country is would break that obligation. Also I wasn't juxtaposing welfare and increasing population, but you're not talking about increasing population in any measured way, you're advocating throwing all the doors open.

Finally, I'm making a reasoned argument while you're twisting my words and declaring my sins. I think you should gently caress off.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Well I'm glad we settled that Chris Brown debate

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Firstly, I'm not talking about asylum seekers, we have an obligation under the law and under human decency to allow them to come here and seek safe haven and not be put into concentration camps. I'm talking about letting say anyone from any country just come and live here.

Secondly, If you just open up our borders do you really think it's impossible for a few million people, maybe even 10 million to come over to one of the richest countries in the world in the span of one year? I don't think it would be unreasonable.

Thirdly, I never said there was a "right" kind of migrant and I never claimed to be fantastic. So I'm not sure which orifice you're pulling that out from.

Fourthly I wasn't trying to make you care about anything, in fact I couldn't give two fucks about what you care about. I was thinking to myself actually, what the meaning of our national grouping is to me. And the social contract is what came up. I feel more obliged to support a poor person in Australia than a poor person in the UK or in the US, or in Kenya for that matter. I do feel more obliged to support a poor person in Kenya than a poor person in the US because Kenya is a poorer country than the US. So to me countries are about internal obligation, and breaking the boundary of what a country is would break that obligation. Also I wasn't juxtaposing welfare and increasing population, but you're not talking about increasing population in any measured way, you're advocating throwing all the doors open.

Finally, I'm making a reasoned argument while you're twisting my words and declaring my sins. I think you should gently caress off.

I am advocating for open borders. When you say "anyone from any country just come and live here", why are you so offended by that thought? Is it because ten million in a year is a specific number where Australia would cease to exist?

I agree that the social contract is part of what defines Australia. I disagree with the idea that border force has the right to withhold that from anyone who wants to share.

And you should gently caress off yourself you nationalist

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

asio posted:

I am advocating for open borders. When you say "anyone from any country just come and live here", why are you so offended by that thought? Is it because ten million in a year is a specific number where Australia would cease to exist?

The problem is the views they potentially bring with them. Would you be happy if you were gay or female or some other minority and the country that previously had some degree of tolerance for your gender or sexuality or whatever was flooded with people who don't consider you human?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

please do not quote or reply to amethyst, aka blue stymie

tia

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

BBJoey posted:

please do not quote or reply to amethyst, aka blue stymie

tia

stfu, lightweight coward.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like amethyst

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

asio posted:

I agree that the social contract is part of what defines Australia. I disagree with the idea that border force has the right to withhold that from anyone who wants to share.

What if they don't want to be part of the existing social contract? Is someone coming here advocating that doctors providing women with abortions be killed upholding the social contract? Is a hypothetical fundamentalist who thinks gay people are an affront and should be tortured someone who looks like they want to share in the existing social contract?

There are plenty of people out there who want to enjoy the stability and standard of living but want to tear down the rights enjoyed by existing residents.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bowmore posted:

I like amethyst
hosed up if true

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this was why IWC was a good poster. Amethyst is too stupid to defend arguments of marginal value properly so people just get the shits rather than make the effort to debate the point.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

all the good trolls have gone away and all that remain are the tedious idiots who lead the thread in circles for 10 pages by making the same post 100 times.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
haha amethyst is salty about "free speech" because he got kicked by the irc bot

what a dunce

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I don't get it.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Endman posted:

I don't get it.

Taxis are an outdated business model, or a 'dinosaur', that are under intense government scrutiny. Uber is under some scrutiny. Uber doesn't realise that it itself is also a primitive system (in contrast to having consumers and drivers directly connect, I guess?). Uber is some less scrutiny than taxis. Uber is successfully by stepping on the users/drivers.

idk

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Narrator posted:

Taxis are an outdated business model, or a 'dinosaur', that are under intense government scrutiny. Uber is under some scrutiny. Uber doesn't realise that it itself is also a primitive system (in contrast to having consumers and drivers directly connect, I guess?). Uber is some less scrutiny than taxis. Uber is successfully by stepping on the users/drivers.

idk

But... regulation is... good? I'm confused.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Endman posted:

But... regulation is... good? I'm confused.

Me too, Endman, me too.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

bowmore posted:

I like amethyst

Amethyst is a better poster than roughly 75% of Auspol regulars. Once again he's on the right side of the argument, in this case that Peter "loving" Dutton shouldn't have the power to judge whether someone is of suitable character to come to Australia. This is the case even when he turns away someone that holds views that you may dislike.

That is loving self evident and yet here we are.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can't say I can imagine how much more direct most people would be willing to get. I mean you already have enough concerns about the reliability of the drivers with Uber, if you take a step more direct say a craiglist/gumtree style anything goes taxi hiring service... yeah. I mean I could maybe see a few people go for it, but I think most people would consider that far to unreliable.

Maybe he just means everyone will start hitchhiking. :confused:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Problems with this post:

Tirade posted:

Amethyst is a better poster than roughly 75% of Auspol regulars.

Emotive and irrelevant hyperbole. Some kind of red mist must be obscuring your critical faculties.

quote:

Once again he's on the right side of the argument, in this case that Peter "loving" Dutton shouldn't have the power to judge whether someone is of suitable character to come to Australia.

Racing so quickly to be on the "right" side, you manage to be irrelevant to the argument Amethyst was making, about a point which no one was actually disputing. This makes me suspect you haven't even read the last few pages, or you'd have noticed that two of us explicitly made that point. Alternatively, some kind of automatically revisionist reflex kicked in before you engaged your critical faculties. Could be that red mist issue again.

quote:

This is the case even when he turns away someone that holds views that you may dislike.

That is loving self evident and yet here we are.

More irrelevance for extra "win". :v: If it is a red mist problem, you may need to wait a suitable period until it clears and then read what was actually written and avoid silly phrases like "loving self evident" when it doesn't apply.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Birdstrike posted:

haha amethyst is salty about "free speech" because he got kicked by the irc bot

what a dunce

Nope. I've never joined the irc channel.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Problems with this post:

Emotive and irrelevant hyperbole. Some kind of red mist must be obscuring your critical faculties.

Racing so quickly to be on the "right" side, you manage to be irrelevant to the argument Amethyst was making, about a point which no one was actually disputing. This makes me suspect you haven't even read the last few pages, or you'd have noticed that two of us explicitly made that point. Alternatively, some kind of automatically revisionist reflex kicked in before you engaged your critical faculties. Could be that red mist issue again.

More irrelevance for extra "win". :v: If it is a red mist problem, you may need to wait a suitable period until it clears and then read what was actually written and avoid silly phrases like "loving self evident" when it doesn't apply.

Cool line by line rebuttal you tiresome dickhead. No one was disputing my argument? Can you read? All you ever do is tromp in with some clumsy meta commentary in a weak attempt to look above it all, with liberal use of scare quotes around words like "right" and "win.

The main reason this is insanely boring is that your opinion on the actual matter at hand is noncommital milquetoast nothing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Cool line by line rebuttal you tiresome dickhead. No one was disputing my argument? Can you read? All you ever do is tromp in with some clumsy meta commentary in a weak attempt to look above it all, with liberal use of scare quotes around words like "right" and "win.

The main reason this is insanely boring is that your opinion on the actual matter at hand is noncommital milquetoast nothing.

:v: :v: :v: you are a goddamn funny poster sometimes :D

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ewe2 posted:

:v: :v: :v: you are a goddamn funny poster sometimes :D

Thank you for your valuable and extremely insightful contribution to the discussion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I may not agree with your right to be a terrorist and call for the murder of doctors, but I'll defend to the death your right to be a terrorist and call for the murder of doctors.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

The problem is the views they potentially bring with them. Would you be happy if you were gay or female or some other minority and the country that previously had some degree of tolerance for your gender or sexuality or whatever was flooded with people who don't consider you human?

In this day and age anyone can get any idea off the internet what does it actually matter if there is a person carrying that idea crossing our border? We don't ban music, we don't censor TV, we don't filter the Internet (or do we? I forget). The idea that stopping a person stops an idea from getting here seems a bit outdated, I mean sure maybe for the true believers who go and see the event those ideas are legitimised, but isn't it already too late for those people? Banning a person isn't going to change those people's minds, and if we were really worried about other people catching those bad ideas, why don't we block and censor the other ways that people can be exposed to those ideas? If Chris Brown or Tyler the Creator could fill concerts with fans here then it's too late and the "damage" has already been done.

It doesn't seem to really be about dangerous or offensive ideas, is what I'm saying, or we'd get all the other forms of "keeping us safe" too.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 30, 2015

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Eh, I agree with your general point but Australia certainly does censor the poo poo out of all our media. We're pretty god drat conservative. Even poo poo so ingrained into popular culture like American Psycho is still required to be sold in shrink wrap for example, an Adelaide bookshop had it removed from shelves by the police earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
A wealthy entertainer should be able to come here to make money, after all everyone else did, except the aborigines.

• Locked thread