Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Offer him a visa on the condition all proceeds go to a domestic violence organisation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Negligent posted:

Offer him a visa on the condition all proceeds go to a domestic violence organisation

NBNco Sat 1 is going up in 15 minutes (6:30am) , watch it live here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYxvpBNTduw

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-01/sky-muster-to-launch-amid-concerns-it-may-not-muster-promised-i/6817998

edit:
coverage map

drunkill fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 30, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
It didn't blow up. Liberals now have helped the NBN, they must be angry.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Stoca Zola posted:

In this day and age anyone can get any idea off the internet what does it actually matter if there is a person carrying that idea crossing our border? We don't ban music, we don't censor TV, we don't filter the Internet (or do we? I forget). The idea that stopping a person stops an idea from getting here seems a bit outdated, I mean sure maybe for the true believers who go and see the event those ideas are legitimised, but isn't it already too late for those people? Banning a person isn't going to change those people's minds, and if we were really worried about other people catching those bad ideas, why don't we block and censor the other ways that people can be exposed to those ideas? If Chris Brown or Tyler the Creator could fill concerts with fans here then it's too late and the "damage" has already been done.

It doesn't seem to really be about dangerous or offensive ideas, is what I'm saying, or we'd get all the other forms of "keeping us safe" too.

It is true that the internet is a source of a lot of terrible ideas, but people are just as opposed to those in plenty of cases. Stuff like boycotts of advertisers on sites that promote MRAs or whatever. That is a better way of doing it than having the power rest with one person, but I don't see how that is practical for stuff like issuing visas. In any case, regardless of the media people can be opposed to society being exposed to certain ideas and act accordingly.

Another way to look at it is the effect people with harmful beliefs have on existing believers within the country. Someone like that Dutch Islamiphobe politician can exacerbate feelings against an already marginalised community, should society permit that to happen?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Thanks for the link. Looks like it made it up their in one piece. 100km in 2 minutes or so is pretty bloody fast.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Unimpressed posted:

Well, I have every problem with the idea that anyone can just come over and become a citizen of this country. For starters that would completely undermine the already weakening social contract. If 10 million people come here next year, do you think we will still be supporting unemployed people with even the meagre hand out that is Newstart?

This argument is a really dumb Facebook meme used by neo Nazis. Unimpressed, your political position is fascism.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Splode posted:

This argument is a really dumb Facebook meme used by neo Nazis. Unimpressed, your political position is fascism.

At this point, it's possible everyone misunderestimated Dutton and he is some sort of master troll. By carefully picking his targets he's managed to get a bunch of "leftists" contorting into tortured knots of hypocrisy to justify it. Look at all the people in this thread regressing into paranoiac xenophobes terrified the Other is going to come in and ruin our way of life, pollute our culture with his sick ideas and strange rituals or whatever. So we need to suppress the Other, because it's not necessarily a right to come to Australia, and we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GetUp! apologise for 'racist aspects' of Chris Brown visa ban

Campaigning organisation GetUp! have issued an apology for “racist aspects” of their campaign to ban US R&B singer Chris Brown from touring Australia.

National director Paul Oosting said the group had acknowledged the inconsistency that had been pointed out over the weekend in targeting Brown, who has a history of domestic violence convictions, while not mounting campaigns for artists with similar backgrounds.

“We have a migration system that unfairly targets people of colour and this is a system that we inadvertently fed into,” Mr Oosting said.

“We caused angst and grief and we are unreservedly apologising for that.”

The African-American singer Brown was issued a notice by the Australian government informing him of its intention to ban him from entering the country on character grounds, because of his 2009 assault on his then-girlfriend, pop star Rihanna.

Brown pleaded guilty to bashing Rihanna and threatening to kill her, taking a plea deal that involved community service, counselling and five and a half years’ probation, which he completed in March.

The singer has since visited Australia in 2011 and 2012 without visa issues before being told he would not be granted entry a few days ago.

Brown tweeted on the issue saying he “would be more than grateful to come to Australia to raise awareness about domestic violence."

The Australian government has given Brown 28 days in which to give reason for his entry.

Brown will also need permission to enter New Zealand for a concert in December with the singer telling New Zealand he didn’t know how long someone should be punished.

“I’m not sure how long one person should be punished for their sins when they’ve taken the necessary steps to redeem themselves,” he said.

He has previously been denied entry to the UK and Canada.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/entertainment/2015/09/30/20/06/getup-retract-chris-brown-campaign-over-racist-aspects#sBlIyhqPRdbO1Q72.99

From a different interview:

"You have to forgive yourself," he said. "You can't beat yourself up over the years, because it'll just eat at you and you'll be stuck in the past. And for me, I just learned to be a more humble individual and more of a conscious person."

:v:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Digiwizzard posted:

At this point, it's possible everyone misunderestimated Dutton and he is some sort of master troll. By carefully picking his targets he's managed to get a bunch of "leftists" contorting into tortured knots of hypocrisy to justify it. Look at all the people in this thread regressing into paranoiac xenophobes terrified the Other is going to come in and ruin our way of life, pollute our culture with his sick ideas and strange rituals or whatever. So we need to suppress the Other, because it's not necessarily a right to come to Australia, and we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come.

Exactly. I'm disappointed that so many auspol posters fell into this trap, and I'm glad amethyst fought the good fight even if it was in his usual style.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We are all John Howard at the end of the day.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I don't believe people who promote the murder of abortion clinic doctors should be allowed into the country.

I also don't believe decisions on who should be allowed into the country should be made on a case by case basis at the discretion of the immigration minister.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Splode posted:

Thanks for letting me know! I'll quickly ring up the united patriots or whatever the gently caress they're called.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't believe people who promote the murder of abortion clinic doctors should be allowed into the country.

I also don't believe decisions on who should be allowed into the country should be made on a case by case basis at the discretion of the immigration minister.

e: You too, are apparently a fascist!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm big and tough and could smash basically any celebrity.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Elected officials are uniquely unsuitable for making case by case decisions because there will be at the very least the suspicion of political considerations outweighing the actual details of the case.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Excuse me, you appear to simultaneously hold views that belong to the "right" and the "wrong" side of this argument. Please correct this inconsistency ASAP.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solemn Sloth posted:

I also believe these things, I better report to the Re-Neducation Center.

Also, we need a new thread I guess?

Auspol October: Grey Areas Don't Exist, Right?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Memento posted:

Mostly greens in here, so no, no such thing as grey.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shifty shades of grey

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
Not 100% sure that this isn't a troll, because I don't think someone would be this stupid.

quote:

Troy Newman
Dear Friends
As many of you know I'm scheduled to speak in a national tour with Right to Life Australia from the 1st to the 10th of Oct. But the Australian government revoked my visa at the last minute. The revocation was based on a pile of lies, including the idea that I promote violence. My 25 year history of peaceful, prayerful action speaks for itself. Through a chain of events the Lord has allowed me to get on a plane in spite of many objections by the airlines and Australia. we have been in the air 11 hours and will land in about 4. Please pray that we can get past immigration so the truth can be told throughout Australia
6hrs

If he landed in Sydney, that would have been one of the following :
Qantas / American / @ 6:10am
Virgin / Delta / Air France / KLM @ 6:20
United / Air new Zealand / Lufthansa @ 6:50am
Qantas / American @ 7:40am

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

evilbastard posted:

Not 100% sure that this isn't a troll, because I don't think someone would be this stupid.

If he landed in Sydney, that would have been one of the following :
Qantas / American / @ 6:10am
Virgin / Delta / Air France / KLM @ 6:20
United / Air new Zealand / Lufthansa @ 6:50am
Qantas / American @ 7:40am

How did he get on the internet?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

He was going to Melbourne. The map even has a green target on Melb.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How did he get on the internet?

They've had internet on planes for a while now. It's not cheap, but I guess hate preacher is a pretty lucrative racket these days.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Memento posted:

I also believe these things, I better report to the Re-Neducation Center.

Also, we need a new thread I guess?

"How dare you say that banning people for political speech is wrong and idiotic! Why are you so intolerant? Are you trying to ban my political speech?? Are you going to put me into reeducation camps?? Looks like liberals are the REAL racists!.." etc

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Amoeba102 posted:

He was going to Melbourne. The map even has a green target on Melb.

Whoops, missed that.

In any case it looks like it has landed, and he was on the plane.

quote:

Rev. Patrick Mahoney ‏@revmahoney 22m22 minutes ago
Troy Newman has a hearing in 40 minutes in Melbourne, Australia as they consider allowing him into the country. Please pray! #prolife #pray

@clementine_ford #TroyNewman has been stopped at the electronic gate and is now at the "assistance desk".

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
Read on SMH that gov. is dumping university reforms. Though not really dumping, still leaving the option of reform open but not 'until 2017 at the earliest'.

Guess they've got another election to win...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Send him to Christmas Island for 'processing'.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Only I should decide who comes to this country, and the circumstances in which they come.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
hey it's October

thread end.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Religious groups have requested Cannibal Corpse be banned from touring but its never been actioned. Would these recent denials of visas change that, if they were to tour now?

I mean, their lyrics are pretty hosed up, but its just art. Tyler the Creator is also hosed up, but I dont believe hes been convicted of any crimes against women, and its just art too.

You could be naive and assume Tyler was banned because he is more culturally relevant than Cannibal Corpse, but I think we all know thats not the case.

If you ask Cannibal Corpse or Tyler if they Think their lyrics are cool and good ways to be, I dont think they would agree with you. When you ask Abortion hater guy, its a different story.

I dont think we should be banning artists from performing here. I think its reasonable to ban someone who incites violence based on his own religious beliefs.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Birdstrike posted:

hey it's October

thread end.

I really hope nobody makes another thread.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Laserface posted:

Religious groups have requested Cannibal Corpse be banned from touring but its never been actioned. Would these recent denials of visas change that, if they were to tour now?

Cannibal Corpse toured last year, apparently they even did all ages shows.

People don't care about Cannibal Corpse because it's obviously an act, if they were more subtle they'd probably get more flak.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

Cannibal Corpse toured last year, apparently they even did all ages shows.

People don't care about Cannibal Corpse because it's obviously an act, if they were more subtle they'd probably get more flak.

So Tyler the Creator is less of an act?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Artists can be provocative, as long as they aren't rude and "in your face" about it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Tyler the Creator was unfortunate enough to attract the attention of a very vocal group and the government saw it as an easy win. Cannibal Corpse would have probably been denied a visa if the same thing happened to them, but they're not seen as a threat in the same way.

I don't think Tyler the Creator should have been banned, but it's pretty easy to argue that misogyny represents a real threat while mock Satanism doesn't.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 1, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Good news everybody! Where's Mr Fix It??

Turnbull government abandons controversial university reforms in major departure from Abbott era

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...930-gjynlt.html

quote:

The Turnbull government has dropped its plan to allow universities to set their own fees from next year, and will go back to the drawing board on higher education reform.
To those who claim consideration of reform is about ideology or privilege, you are dead wrong

Education and Training Minister Simon Birmingham will announce on Thursday that he will not reintroduce the government's higher education bill into Parliament for another vote this year.
Any changes to university fees will now come into effect in 2017 at the earliest, after the next federal election.
Former prime minister Tony Abbott immediately condemned the decision, saying he was "disappointed".
"I'm a little disappointed by it and frankly, I am disappointed that the people who call for reform did not get behind the 2014 budget," Mr Abbott told 3AW host Neil Mitchell.

Senator Birmingham's predecessor Christopher Pyne had insisted the bill - which would deregulate university fees and cut course funding by 20 per cent - would be reintroduced this year after his reforms were twice knocked back by the Senate.
"With only three months left in 2015, it is necessary to give both universities and students certainty about what the higher education funding arrangements for 2016 will be," Senator Birmingham will say in a speech to the University of Melbourne.
"Therefore, today I am announcing that higher education funding arrangements for 2016 will not be changed from currently legislated arrangements, while the government consults further on reforms for the future.
"Any reforms, should they be legislated, would not commence until 2017 at the earliest."

Senator Birmingham said the government was "accepting reality" that the reforms would not pass the Senate in their current form. But he said the government's policies officially remain in place until cabinet decides otherwise.
Senator Birmingham said as someone who was educated in government schools in low socio-economic areas - and whose parents never attended university - he is "resolutely committed to equitable access" to higher education.
"To those who claim consideration of reform is about ideology or privilege, you are dead wrong. I will only ever champion reforms that achieve both equity and excellence," he said.
"I invite ideas and conversations about how to achieve such equity and excellence in higher education, while honestly recognising the financial limitations of taxpayers."

Although the government has shelved its reforms, Senator Birmingham said Australia's higher education funding system is not perfect and needs reform.
The previous Labor government's decision to uncap undergraduate numbers has not been matched by sustainable funding, he said. And it is unfair that students at TAFEs and private colleges do not receive direct federal funding and they have to pay expensive loan fees that university students do not.
This suggests the government remains in favour of its plan to extend federal funding to private colleges, TAFEs and associate degree programs.
He said he hopes the debate leading up to the next federal election is based on "sensible discussions, not fear campaigns".

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

open24hours posted:

Tyler the Creator was unfortunate enough to attract the attention of a very vocal group and the government saw it as an easy win. Cannibal Corpse would have probably been denied a visa if the same thing happened to them, but they're not seen as a threat in the same way.

I don't think Tyler the Creator should have been banned, but it's pretty easy to argue that misogyny represents a real threat while mock Satanism doesn't.

Cannibal Corpse arent exactly 'mock satanism'

Songs include "stripped, raped and strangled", "hosed with a knife", "Hammer-smashed face"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

As far as I know they don't actually do those things.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
At what point is Tony going to get told to knock it the gently caress off? Every time he's been heard from since the spill, it's been him undermining the new government.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

open24hours posted:

As far as I know they don't actually do those things.

Neither does Tyler the Creator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Narrator posted:

At what point is Tony going to get told to knock it the gently caress off? Every time he's been heard from since the spill, it's been him undermining the new government.

The right has too much invested in Abbott for him to leave this quickly

• Locked thread