Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Labors Taxes Labors Taxes Labors Taxes Labors Taxes Labors Taxes Labors Taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Emergency press conference to announce another loss of a great big tax. Are they just going back to the well?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Does anyone even know what this tax was?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I feel like im watching a fat man drown on live tv.

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality
I wonder what Tony 2015 would say about Dutton's media bias concerns.

Presumably not the same thing as Tony 2013: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...y-1226704995609

Murdoch's minions posted:

Rudd gets coverage he deserves, Tony Abbott says
BEN PACKHAM | THE AUSTRALIAN | AUGUST 27, 2013 1:19PM

TONY Abbott has dismissed Kevin Rudd's latest attack on the media, saying if he wanted better coverage, he should perform better.

The Prime Minister hit out at the Murdoch press once again today, claiming its reporting of the election was inhibiting fair political debate.

But the Opposition Leader said the coverage was a direct reflection of the government's performance.

"The reason why this government gets poor coverage, at least in some areas of the media, is because it has been the worst government in our history," he said.

"If you want better coverage, be a better government."

Mr Abbott said a free media must be allowed to take a position, as many newspapers had done in 2007 when they supported Mr Rudd over then-prime minister John Howard.

"I didn't hear Mr Rudd complaining then," Mr Abbott said.

"I suspect that many of them will support a change of government this time, and that's their right.

"But fundamentally, if you want good coverage, you've got to perform well."

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
the coalitions big new revenue deficit

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Is there a news link for this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Les Affaires posted:

https://www.goatse.cx

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty sure he meant this particular announcement, not the LNP economic policy as a hole.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Pretty sure he meant this particular announcement, not the LNP economic policy as a hole.

You have to admit their policy has a nice ring to it.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Les Affaires posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Les Affaires posted:

You have to admit their policy has a nice ring to it.

I think it would be a bit of a stretch for the voting public to take it as a whole

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

An organisation called the Committee for Economic Development of Australia are releasing a report recommending that super be used to help fund first home buyers into the real estate market.

A quick look at their website and the list of patrons:

Look who it is.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

More recently, Newman has called climate change a delusion, stating that the IPCC "progressively has applied mass psychology through a compliant media to spread the delusion that wicked Western industrialists are causing irreparable damage to the climate." Newman wants the current Australian target for electricity generated by renewable sources dumped because he does not accept climate change science and says renewable energy is pushing up prices.[3]

In August 2014, Newman was widely criticised by leading scientists and newspaper journalists for stating that the earth is undergoing "cooling" rather than warming.[10][11] Furthermore, he suggested that climate change is propaganda

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Interesting to see on QandA last night Tom Switzer calling out Naomi Klein for being "intellectually honest" about calling for a review of the entire capitalist system in order to stop climate change. He dropped in other popular phrases such as Watermelon and how fossil fuels are helping lift millions of people out of poverty.

As usual, it's the episodes without politicians that prove to be the most fun.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

quote:

Switzer was raised in Sydney's Northern Beaches

ah.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Lid posted:

Does anyone even know what this tax was?

From what I got out of it was that they axed a tax they themselves were going to introduce, because it was a bad tax. Something about a tax on bank accounts.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Ahh, this was the deposit tax. I wrote something up about it a while back which explained how it works. It's effectively an extra 0.05% interest on all deposits, which would reduce the effective interest rate earned on savings.

So if you have $10,000 in savings in your account, earning say 2% p/a interest, it would instead earn 1.95% p/a. In real terms this is $200 vs $195 in interest.

In a year.

...for $10,000 in savings.

Getting rid of it now is pretty stupid.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Labor suggested it in 2013, LNP criticised it. LNP considers it in 2015, Labor criticises it. LNP drops their plans to bring in the tax, attacks Labor.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Amoeba102 posted:

Labor suggested it in 2013, LNP criticised it. LNP considers it in 2015, Labor criticises it. LNP drops their plans to bring in the tax, attacks Labor.

But I thought politicians need to save their ammo FOR an election, not BEFORE an election.

At this rate they're going to run out of things to lob at Shorten for Attack Ads and Slogans.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
:runs down the back stairs:

BUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDGEEEETTTTTTTTTT EMERRRRRRRRGEEENNNNNNNNNCCYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:trips over, lands in pool of poo poo:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
It sounds like Hockey actually included it in his budget for this year, so there's going to be an even bigger hole in it than expected. (March election looking more likely every day)

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

But I thought politicians need to save their ammo FOR an election, not BEFORE an election.

At this rate they're going to run out of things to lob at Shorten for Attack Ads and Slogans.

Welcome to the permanent election cycle Anidav.

When the ammo runs low they will just start slinging made up poo poo.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Ban Greens from voting on development proposals: property lobby

Councillors opposing new property developments should not be able to vote on development applications, the lobby group for big property developers says.

Local Government Minister Paul Toole last week said the government would amend legislation that allowed councillors to determine development conditions around projects in which they had a pecuniary interest.

The amendments would come just three years after the Coalition government introduced laws allowing councillors to vote on planning controls that could affect their developments.

They follow a call by Labor leader Luke Foley for developers and estate agents to be banned from acting as councillors, made after the furore over Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer's wedding.

The chief executive of the Urban Taskforce, Chris Johnson, said he agreed that councillors should not be able to vote on matters in which they had an interest. But Mr Johnson went further, saying councillors opposed to property development also had an interest and should be barred from voting.

"Quite a lot of councillors have been elected by action groups that are against development," Mr Johnson said.

"My position is that they have therefore been elected on a particular platform which makes them not independent about assessing the project, but which gives them a fairly strong bias."

Asked if under his proposal all Greens councillors would not be able to vote on projects, Mr Johnson said: "I think it would.

"I think this is the issue, those councillors that have a negative attitude to growth and change and greater densities cannot assess a project with absolute independence."

Mr Johnson said that rather than councillors approving projects, projects should be assessed by independent panels.

Leichhardt Greens mayor Rochelle Porteous said the party's mayors and councillors had supported many developments across the city.

"Urban consolidation is an important part of development generally," Cr Porteous said. "We are certainly supportive of appropriate development in appropriate locations in urban areas," she said.

Marrickville Greens councillor Max Phillips said Mr Johnson's proposal was "ridiculous."

"Standing up for the community and enforcing development controls against developers always trying to squeeze more and more in is not anti-growth but acting in the public interest," Cr Phillips said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/ban-greens-from-voting-on-development-proposals-property-lobby-20150831-gjbgix.html#ixzz3kSRxtfN3
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

hahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Yeah, saying that your election platform consists of pre-judgement and thus grounds for recusing yourself is really loving dumb

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Feel good thread of the year; feels good to not be Australian.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

:haw: clever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

QUACKTASTIC posted:

But what do you mean the Libs are the party of sound economic management.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lid posted:

hahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahaha

Wait, what? Is this like saying you cam only vote on development projects if you're going to vote yes.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Incorrect, only people who have never been introduced to the concept of development may make decisions on development.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/help-me-find-him-pregnant-french-tourist-seeks-sunshine-coast-lover-20150901-gjcel1.html

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Calling it now, this is some kind of stunt.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Any Goons from the Brisbane area have something they need to get off their chest?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's me I'm the handsome blonde man who had sex with a lady

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Any Goons from the Brisbane area have something they need to get off their chest?

She didn't say anything about facial tatts so Anidav is safe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm gay.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Greetings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pregnant with the gayby of a tanned, blonde man with six-pack abs and a nine inch dick. About 25 years old, his own place on the beach and at least 5 mil invested. Anyone matching that description better fess up and get in touch right now for me to move in.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

An old, gay friend of mine used to remark wryly that after ten beers anything was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
He's half right, in that it takes half that many beers.

• Locked thread