Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

that's exactly the answer I was expecting from you

essentially acting like your fetish art isn't just j/o material but some boundary pushing social experiment. that kind of attitude is very common around these parts and I'm getting pretty fatigued by it tbh

No poo poo Sherlock you solved the mystery of the CYOA literally titled "Space Tits and rear end."

E:The fact that it was empty calorie cheesecake art was so blindingly, stupifyingly obvious that I didn't comprehend the idea that it somehow needed pointing out.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
That doesn't excuse it, idiot.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Afraid of Audio posted:

That doesn't excuse it, idiot.

I don't need an excuse, HTH.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

I was happy to finally bring life to a character design that had been rattling around in my head for a while, and I think it found satisfactory expression. I was able to workshop some sci fi ideas as well. "Space Tits" was more an essay in the craft of running a CYOA than what I would describe as a "serious" work. I think I also learned a lot about the kind of emotions the eroticized female form can evoke in a broad audience (as opposed to the narrow one that usually seeks out such content).

I think if I were doing the story over again, I would have made the artistic style a lot more abstract. While the "cheesecake" art was certainly entertaining in its own way, I think it was a distraction from the central themes I was trying to express.

It definitely affected my creative life a lot and I think it has improved my consciousness quite a bit when it comes to producing more generalized content and audience selection.

What about you? I'm interested in hearing how my work has changed your life.Space Tits seems to have had a great effect on you if it provokes such an emotional reaction after all this time.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sorry if I do things differently. I know CC has evolved a slightly different posting culture than GBS.

Lol

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis gets it :)

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

Meis gets it :)

Bahahahaha

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Do you ever like just listen to yourself? And somehow think hmm yes this doesnt sound like the posting of a pompous rear end at all...

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Are you for real.

I'm still sticking with my original "dumb GBS troll" pick, but goddamit I want to believe that somewhere, a man who thinks JK Rowling is a real wizard is sitting at his computer desk trying to sell people on the complex themes of Space Tits and rear end.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Meis posted:

Do you ever like just listen to yourself? And somehow think hmm yes this doesnt sound like the posting of a pompous rear end at all...

It is the posting of a pompous rear end that's the point. You've talked to me, Meis, come on. I outright told you it was dumb Benny Hill level humor.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I'm still sticking with my original "dumb GBS troll" pick,

Well, my OP wasn't a troll but the whole "catharsis of Space Tits" thing was meant sarcastically and I pulled it out of my rear end on the spot.

Watch I'll do it right now:

Space Tits and rear end is meant to embody the larger themes of tension between social expectations and personal reality. Space Tits is a stereotypically "curvaceous" female on the surface, but underneath she struggles internally with society's expectation of a "masculine" identity. She projects this frustration onto her former partner, Space rear end.
Space rear end's name has a double meaning, both referencing her posterior (or "rear end") and her stubbornness (as in "stubborn as an rear end"). Her struggles with society express themselves in the form of overeating (filling a void within herself) and her unwillingness to accept Space Tits's true feminine identity because it would mean (to her) that a formerly masculine figure in her life is more feminine than she will ever be. [/bullshit]

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Anyway if you want to discuss it further let's take the topic to GBS where it belongs. Go make the thread and maybe I'll be along. Or PM me if you want to talk it out. I'm not gonna waste any more space in CC with this stupid bullshit.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Troposphere posted:

welcome to creative convention

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Applewhite is cool

His posting, wasted on us

Create for others

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Applewhite posted:

Thanks for the tip. I'm sorry if I do things differently. I know CC has evolved a slightly different posting culture than GBS.
All of the sub-forums are different from one another. It's safe to assume that no one wants you to post the same way anywhere. Which is why the regulars, lurkers, and frequently probated or banned users develop in each. This is subject to change at any time due to mod, rule, or sub-forum changes.

It's also why this thread was re-opened: CC's rules are different from those in GBS. If you had read them, you might've thought twice before closing your own thread.

That aside...

Applewhite posted:

It definitely affected my creative life a lot and I think it has improved my consciousness quite a bit when it comes to producing more generalized content and audience selection.
... It seems kind of unfair of you to pretend that creating a character design is somehow different than writing a character. Are you implying an artist's mindset is different from an author's? That, working under the assumption that an author is affected by their work, an artist who draws a slobbering individual contortion-ed in a straight-jacket, with tears, saliva, and snot dripping from their face, is affected less than an individual trying to write out the contents of said character's thoughts?

Because by claiming that drawing 'cheesecake,' as you've put it, into a character's design prior to implementing it into a choose-your-own-adventure project did not affect beyond a very business-like way, it appears that your claim is "my question only applies to everyone else, but not to me for reasons I will not reveal any time soon." As if by outsourcing the character's personality you've somehow waived any responsibility for their design.

Or were you not afraid that by objectifying a woman via character design you would come off as a misogynist of some caliber?

It might just seem a painfully obvious joke to you, helpfully labeled and packaged as such, and perhaps your desired audience saw it for what you meant it to be. But there's all kinds of humor out there. By picking the one you chose, did you believe that perhaps it wasn't going to become a telling aspect of your personality? That it says something about you what sort of things you feel are fine to make light of? That your joke might not only fall flat and might even outright offend some people?

Do you ever worry that by writing a joke about a group of people you're not a member of you'll become unable to take said group seriously and vice-versa?
Get it, it's your original dumb question given a practical spin.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Applewhite posted:

Anyway if you want to discuss it further let's take the topic to GBS where it belongs. Go make the thread and maybe I'll be along. Or PM me if you want to talk it out. I'm not gonna waste any more space in CC with this stupid bullshit.

I am torn between never wanting this farce to end and finding you an insufferable person and poster.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

thanks mods

Applewhite posted:

It is the posting of a pompous rear end that's the point. You've talked to me, Meis, come on. I outright told you it was dumb Benny Hill level humor.

Well, my OP wasn't a troll but the whole "catharsis of Space Tits" thing was meant sarcastically and I pulled it out of my rear end on the spot.

Watch I'll do it right now:

Space Tits and rear end is meant to embody the larger themes of tension between social expectations and personal reality. Space Tits is a stereotypically "curvaceous" female on the surface, but underneath she struggles internally with society's expectation of a "masculine" identity. She projects this frustration onto her former partner, Space rear end.
Space rear end's name has a double meaning, both referencing her posterior (or "rear end") and her stubbornness (as in "stubborn as an rear end"). Her struggles with society express themselves in the form of overeating (filling a void within herself) and her unwillingness to accept Space Tits's true feminine identity because it would mean (to her) that a formerly masculine figure in her life is more feminine than she will ever be. [/bullshit]

1) Yeah I have talked to you and if you recall I told you I don't agree with you on some things

2) Pulling the "haha! I was acting stupid on purpose! Now who's the dumb one?" defence makes you still look dumb. Like that last paragraph is pretty cringey to read even when I know you're being ironic.

3)Just because something is comedic doesn't mean it's immune to critique

edit: mega-thanks to whoever changed my avatar :love: :love:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hello friends

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

well, i am irl a villain to a number of people. i constantly enrich their lives with my villainous ways

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
with Halloween around the corner, I am planning to dress as a spooky skeleton however I am worried that I will become a skeleton please advise

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

well, i am irl a villain to a number of people. i constantly enrich their lives with my villainous ways

Yeah, you can really give people's lives meaning by being a horrible person to rally against.

Applewhite, you've done a great service by posting this thread.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
im basically a rubix cube of mary sues

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i am a villain in the 1980's timeline where the two protagonists split into good and evil but the twist is the good one was corrupted (inspired by my favorite writer christ metzen) and the evil one was merely misunderstood

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ElTipejoLoco posted:

It's also why this thread was re-opened: CC's rules are different from those in GBS. If you had read them, you might've thought twice before closing your own thread.

Ah okay. I apologize for the breach of etiquette. I felt bad enough wasting your time and thought closing the thread would be the most dignified option rather than have the thread drag on in a pointless flamewar.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

... It seems kind of unfair of you to pretend that creating a character design is somehow different than writing a character. Are you implying an artist's mindset is different from an author's? That, working under the assumption that an author is affected by their work, an artist who draws a slobbering individual contortion-ed in a straight-jacket, with tears, saliva, and snot dripping from their face, is affected less than an individual trying to write out the contents of said character's thoughts?

I can only speak for myself, and can't tell you how you feel, but as a person who both designs characters in a visual medium and "writing" a character are two very different processes for me. My "artist" mindset is different from my "author" mindset.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that an artist is not affected by their work, either. I do think that imagining the image of a subject and "getting inside the head" of a subject would probably affect the creator in different ways.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Because by claiming that drawing 'cheesecake,' as you've put it, into a character's design prior to implementing it into a choose-your-own-adventure project did not affect beyond a very business-like way, it appears that your claim is "my question only applies to everyone else, but not to me for reasons I will not reveal any time soon." As if by outsourcing the character's personality you've somehow waived any responsibility for their design.

I didn't intend to imply anything of the kind. A character's appearance, bearing and mannerisms create an impression on the viewer, and the viewer builds up their own idea of the character in his or her head that is shaped by that impression. Even as I intended Space Tits to be an empty vessel avatar for the players, I couldn't keep all my own ideas about her personality and history out of the design.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Or were you not afraid that by objectifying a woman via character design you would come off as a misogynist of some caliber?

Yes, but I can't base all my decisions on fear.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

It might just seem a painfully obvious joke to you, helpfully labeled and packaged as such, and perhaps your desired audience saw it for what you meant it to be. But there's all kinds of humor out there. By picking the one you chose, did you believe that perhaps it wasn't going to become a telling aspect of your personality? That it says something about you what sort of things you feel are fine to make light of? That your joke might not only fall flat and might even outright offend some people?

I expect somebody to be offended any time anyone tells any joke stronger than a mild pun (and puns, of course, offend everybody). It's unreasonable to hold humor to an inoffensive standard.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Do you ever worry that by writing a joke about a group of people you're not a member of you'll become unable to take said group seriously and vice-versa?
Get it, it's your original dumb question given a practical spin.

I think jokes are a double edged sword in that regard. Mean jokes can exclude people and make them feel small, but the same mean joke in the right spirit can also be inclusive. It's an old saying "we only tease the ones we love" and I think it's very true. Friends "belittle" each other all the time, dredge up past embarrassments and even make prejudicial comments about race or sex. However, such jokes among friends are intended, not to belittle the person, but belittle the differences they supposedly mock. They break down the barriers between people and encourage a sense of belonging to a larger group that transcends our petty divisions.

I did not intend to belittle any group with Space Tits, and I apologize if anyone felt belittled.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
to humanize my villains and make them relateable i always show them eating a slice of pizza (which i abbreviate as the 'za, because my demo is 13-18 year old internet users with high disposable income)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
applewhite i heard you made a dumb webcomic in gbs

explain urself

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Applewhite posted:

I did not intend to belittle any group with Space Tits, and I apologize if anyone felt belittled.

draw smaller space tits and that would be more inclusive. actually draw more space tits of different sizes

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
can you please draw me my own personal space tits? Then I would feel included

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh my glob tits in space? theres reduced gravity. epic loving poo poo. wow, i cant believe ive never thought of that. jfc

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Realtalk: if you are legitimately worried that trying to write a character who isn't like you will change you into them, then you must have shockingly little sense of your own identity. If you know who you are and what you want from your life, there's no risk of "becoming the mask" if you'll forgive the terrible nerd expression.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

jon joe posted:

can you please draw me my own personal space tits? Then I would feel included

Yeah sure. PM me.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
we're actually all in a villain origin story right now, just before applewhite goes evil because we all misunderstand his posting

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
sometimes you just gotta take a chance and objectify women

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

thomas harris literally cannibalised a bunch of people to write Hannibal. also sStephen King became two entities when he wrote The Dark Half, his evil Richard Bachman identity was eaten by a bunch of birds later

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sitting Here posted:

we're actually all in a villain origin story right now, just before applewhite goes evil because we all misunderstand his posting

Depending on who you ask I've been evil for some time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Troposphere posted:

sometimes you just gotta take a chance and objectify women

perhaps we should objectify... men!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

thomas harris literally cannibalised a bunch of people to write Hannibal. also sStephen King became two entities when he wrote The Dark Half, his evil Richard Bachman identity was eaten by a bunch of birds later

hosed up if false.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

haha i was lying all the while

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
when you think about it, I was actually taking a huge risk when I made my comic about women with huge tits, butts, dicks. you should be thanking me for my heroic bravery

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Troposphere posted:

when you think about it, I was actually taking a huge risk when I made my comic about women with huge tits, butts, dicks. you should be thanking me for my heroic bravery

thank you

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Troposphere posted:

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Troposphere posted:

thank you

• Locked thread