Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Troposphere posted:

when you think about it, I was actually taking a huge risk when I made my comic about women with huge tits, butts, dicks. you should be thanking me for my heroic bravery

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
*nods head*

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
oh man i've been waiting to really stick it to this applewhite guy for doing space tits but he never posts outside gbs

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
we're not trapped in here with him...hes trapped in here with us

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i am rorschach, paladin of nerds, and sitting here is the handsaw

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Applewhite posted:

Ah okay. I apologize for the breach of etiquette. I felt bad enough wasting your time and thought closing the thread would be the most dignified option rather than have the thread drag on in a pointless flamewar.
Rules are kind of important to maintain dignity in most situations. Just own up to the fact that you didn't bother reading them- the consequence of breaking it was handled by a mod, and an unrelated apology (subforum rules are not all exactly about etiquette) is not really necessary.

Applewhite posted:

I can only speak for myself, and can't tell you how you feel, but as a person who both designs characters in a visual medium and "writing" a character are two very different processes for me. My "artist" mindset is different from my "author" mindset.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that an artist is not affected by their work, either. I do think that imagining the image of a subject and "getting inside the head" of a subject would probably affect the creator in different ways.
Well, you have to claim that their affects are different because otherwise you would be admitting that your initial question was pointless once the scope was extended to include people who draw or compose images and music meant to convey evil or insanity.

Applewhite posted:

Even as I intended Space Tits to be an empty vessel avatar for the players, I couldn't keep all my own ideas about her personality and history out of the design.
And why is that? Especially as someone who claims can keep their artistic and authorial mindsets separate, it seems like it would have been a trivial matter to excise your artistic influences for the sake of keeping the character a blank slate. Why did you feel compelled to use the character design as-is? Why not make the players' character a new, more personable one and have 'Space Tits' be a deutaragonist, giving you the freedom to keep intact her 'personality and history'?

Applewhite posted:

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Or were you not afraid that by objectifying a woman via character design you would come off as a misogynist of some caliber?
Yes, but I can't base all my decisions on fear.
Here's the crux of your problem: Fear is not frequently unfounded. Not one person is even entertaining the possibility that you're serious. I hope that was your end goal.

Applewhite posted:

I think jokes are a double edged sword in that regard. Mean jokes can exclude people and make them feel small, but the same mean joke in the right spirit can also be inclusive. It's an old saying "we only tease the ones we love" and I think it's very true. Friends "belittle" each other all the time, dredge up past embarrassments and even make prejudicial comments about race or sex. However, such jokes among friends are intended, not to belittle the person, but belittle the differences they supposedly mock. They break down the barriers between people and encourage a sense of belonging to a larger group that transcends our petty divisions.
I don't think anyone actually appreciates jokes made at their expense. They're just considered socially acceptable compared to the threats of physical harm or sexual assault that are also prevalent in this day and age. Add to that the tendency for Western cultures to teach men to bottle up their emotions, and you'll find that these jeers just go unopposed or are responded with mutual 'platonic negging' in the cases where the victims choose not to voice their discomfort at being the butt of a joke that may or may not even be funny to them. Heck, the whole 'joke at another's expense' tends to be a one-way street in most cases as most people that can dish out jokes can rarely accept being made fun of. It's just thinly veiled bullying in a group under the guise of friendship. And that's terrible.

If you want to be inclusive and friendly, maybe you shouldn't be using a 'double-edged sword' that can just as easily backfire. Let the stand-up comedians juggle with those.
Did I really just type 'platonic negging,' haha wow.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Applewhite posted:

Depending on who you ask I've been evil for some time.

Get over yourself.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

Get over yourself.

How about we all get over me?
I didn't initiate this ridiculous Space Tits discussion.
I initiated a ridiculous discussion about the creative process.
I shouldn't have risen to Troposphere's bait but goddamn dude the thread has been over for three months lol if you even remember I made it much less give a poo poo.
The people who need to "get over me" are the chucklefucks who made a special point to visit an unrelated thread to complain about the least of the GBS CYOAs because they're still caremad about some cartoon boobies.
I'm not sorry I drew the boobs. I like boobs and that is literally the only justification any artist needs to include anything in his or her work.

As Meis said, comedy is not immune to criticism but lol if you think I'm the one being humiliated by the collective criticism of Space Tits. Every single person in this thread looks like the biggest dumbass in the world. Including me. You should all consider what just took place to be just as embarrassing as if we'd all engaged in a bicker battle over whether the Crystal Gems have vaginas or some poo poo.
And yeah you can say "well what does that make you, the creator of this foul work?" And the answer is obviously "a big drat price of poo poo."
Congrats on getting down to my level.

This interview is over.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

How about we all get over me?
I didn't initiate this ridiculous Space Tits discussion.
I initiated a ridiculous discussion about the creative process.
I shouldn't have risen to Troposphere's bait but goddamn dude the thread has been over for three months lol if you even remember I made it much less give a poo poo.
The people who need to "get over me" are the chucklefucks who made a special point to visit an unrelated thread to complain about the least of the GBS CYOAs because they're still caremad about some cartoon boobies.
I'm not sorry I drew the boobs. I like boobs and that is literally the only justification any artist needs to include anything in his or her work.

As Meis said, comedy is not immune to criticism but lol if you think I'm the one being humiliated by the collective criticism of Space Tits. Every single person in this thread looks like the biggest dumbass in the world. Including me. You should all consider what just took place to be just as embarrassing as if we'd all engaged in a bicker battle over whether the Crystal Gems have vaginas or some poo poo.
And yeah you can say "well what does that make you, the creator of this foul work?" And the answer is obviously "a big drat price of poo poo."
Congrats on getting down to my level.

This interview is over.

I repeat: get over yourself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Yes... Let the anger consume you, let the rage take over! Soon, you shall be the one you fear most... A villain!!!*

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Seriously, dude, if you just owned up and said you love drawing big ol' titties instead of desperately trying tack on a deeper meaning, that would actually be respectable.

The reason you and every other dork who draws obvious wank material gets endlessly mocked is you try to say it's a parody, a deconstruction, a what-the-gently caress-ever.

Everyone else who's not also jerkin' to it, or playing along with your delusions of grandeur to keep the joke going, can see what's up.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Or they think giant dicks and titties are funny. Which, to be fair, they really are.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

pussy riot police posted:

Or they think giant dicks and titties are funny. Which, to be fair, they really are.

context is important, in this context, they were not

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Entenzahn posted:

oh man i've been waiting to really stick it to this applewhite guy for doing space tits but he never posts outside gbs

same

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

Seriously, dude, if you just owned up and said you love drawing big ol' titties instead of desperately trying tack on a deeper meaning, that would actually be respectable.

The reason you and every other dork who draws obvious wank material gets endlessly mocked is you try to say it's a parody, a deconstruction, a what-the-gently caress-ever.

Everyone else who's not also jerkin' to it, or playing along with your delusions of grandeur to keep the joke going, can see what's up.

Alright, I'll take this one last question because I'm obviously not making myself clear when I say things like:

Applewhite posted:

No poo poo Sherlock you solved the mystery of the CYOA literally titled "Space Tits and rear end."

E:The fact that it was empty calorie cheesecake art was so blindingly, stupifyingly obvious that I didn't comprehend the idea that it somehow needed pointing out.

Applewhite posted:

Applewhite posted:

It is the posting of a pompous rear end that's the point. You've talked to me, Meis, come on. I outright told you it was dumb Benny Hill level humor.

Applewhite posted:

Well, my OP wasn't a troll but the whole "catharsis of Space Tits" thing was meant sarcastically and I pulled it out of my rear end on the spot.

and let's not forget

:siren:Space Tits not a parody, it's not a deconstruction. It's straightforward sexual humor where the bouncing boobs ARE THE POINT.:siren: I've said as much to Meis, I've said as much to everyone in every thread where the topic comes up. The pompous, overblown bullshit asspull pseudointellectual claptrap is the "parody." The high-minded rigamarole is, and always has been intended to mock people who feel they need to justify silly fun on an academic level.

Just to clarify, I'm not doing a Dresden Codak guest strip. The whole post was a shot at webcomic artist Aaron Diaz, who is most well known among webcomics goons as a self-important feminist ally who endlessly draws cheesecake art under the guise of female empowerment.

I don't, in fact have an 18 part youtube series. That's part of the joke where I mock people who take this poo poo seriously.

I dunno if any goons here saw the movie Jane and the Lost City. It's a WWII comedy about a woman who goes on silly adventures fighting Nazis and her clothes keep getting ripped off. That movie is a parody of pulp adventure films like Indiana Jones, but the fanservice is not a parody, the fanservice is fanservice.

Afraid of Audio posted:

context is important, in this context, they were not

That's your opinion. If you don't think Space Tits was funny that's an entirely personal matter of taste and one I can fully understand. If you think my parody of self-aggrandizing cheesecake artists was poorly executed, again, that's completely understandable. Other people got the joke and said as much.

If you're gonna hate me or ST&A goddamn it hate it for the right reasons.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
thats cool dude

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

wow i am sorta weirded out now, man...

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

Alright, I'll take this one last question because I'm obviously not making myself clear when I say things like:

and let's not forget

:siren:Space Tits not a parody, it's not a deconstruction. It's straightforward sexual humor where the bouncing boobs ARE THE POINT.:siren: I've said as much to Meis, I've said as much to everyone in every thread where the topic comes up. The pompous, overblown bullshit asspull pseudointellectual claptrap is the "parody." The high-minded rigamarole is, and always has been intended to mock people who feel they need to justify silly fun on an academic level.

Just to clarify, I'm not doing a Dresden Codak guest strip. The whole post was a shot at webcomic artist Aaron Diaz, who is most well known among webcomics goons as a self-important feminist ally who endlessly draws cheesecake art under the guise of female empowerment.

I don't, in fact have an 18 part youtube series. That's part of the joke where I mock people who take this poo poo seriously.

I dunno if any goons here saw the movie Jane and the Lost City. It's a WWII comedy about a woman who goes on silly adventures fighting Nazis and her clothes keep getting ripped off. That movie is a parody of pulp adventure films like Indiana Jones, but the fanservice is not a parody, the fanservice is fanservice.

That's your opinion. If you don't think Space Tits was funny that's an entirely personal matter of taste and one I can fully understand. If you think my parody of self-aggrandizing cheesecake artists was poorly executed, again, that's completely understandable. Other people got the joke and said as much.

If you're gonna hate me or ST&A goddamn it hate it for the right reasons.

I don't hate you. I don't think anyone here (well, most of them) hates you. The fact you are getting so upset about this is telling, however.

I also never asked you a question, this isn't a press conference. I was telling you you need to get over yourself. Relax and admit your love of tits and rear end, maybe smoke some weed because goddamn.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

I don't hate you. I don't think anyone here (well, most of them) hates you. The fact you are getting so upset about this is telling, however.

I also never asked you a question, this isn't a press conference. I was telling you you need to get over yourself. Relax and admit your love of tits and rear end, maybe smoke some weed because goddamn.

I was p. upset. it's frustrating to say literally the same thing over and over and not be understood. I'm sorry I lost my temper.

E: also, is your username a ref to the goddess of stuck drawers?

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 2, 2015

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i hate you because you're a self important fuckhead and i hate the comic because you use the claim that it is parody to excuse your use of gross sexism

the fact your "original" idea ended up being prequel by a different name and you keep making non-apology apologies is not only annoying but it shows maybe you didnt pretend to be a loving hack cheesecake artist, maybe you are just that

Applewhite posted:

I was p. upset. it's frustrating to say literally the same thing over and over and not be understood. I'm sorry I lost my temper.

lol

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Applewhite posted:

E: also, is your username a ref to the goddess of stuck drawers?

Maybe the issue isn't that you're not being misunderstood, but rather not believed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

pussy riot police posted:

Maybe the issue isn't that you're not being misunderstood, but rather not believed.

So... you're telling me that you think I'm lying about being a hack cheesecake artist?

Or are you saying I'm lying about not having a Dresden Codak guest strip and 18 part youtube series?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

its a metaphor :ssh:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Applewhite posted:

So... you're telling me that you think I'm lying about being a hack cheesecake artist?

Or are you saying I'm lying about not having a Dresden Codak guest strip and 18 part youtube series?

You're not better than that stuff, man, quit going "at least I'm not them." For all we know you want to be them.

Just enjoy whatever weird poo poo you do. Don't try and explain (because you're overexplaining), don't try and justify it, don't dig up 12 different quotes and screencaps defending it, just draw erect nipples on everything and be free.

Parody is all well and good. Poe's Law has that whole thing about how good satire is indistinguishable from the real thing, but there's also the danger overshooting and just making the real thing. It's a delicate balance, you didn't walk the line.

Reiterating what you intended over and over again unfortunately does not change what you ended up with. At this point you just have to go "yup, that sure is a dick voltron I drew."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

You're not better than that stuff, man, quit going "at least I'm not them." For all we know you want to be them.

Just enjoy whatever weird poo poo you do. Don't try and explain (because you're overexplaining), don't try and justify it, don't dig up 12 different quotes and screencaps defending it, just draw erect nipples on everything and be free.

Parody is all well and good. Poe's Law has that whole thing about how good satire is indistinguishable from the real thing, but there's also the danger overshooting and just making the real thing. It's a delicate balance, you didn't walk the line.

Reiterating what you intended over and over again unfortunately does not change what you ended up with. At this point you just have to go "yup, that sure is a dick voltron I drew."

Yup, that sure is a Dick Voltron I drew.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Yup, that sure is a Dick Voltron I drew.

that's the spirit! :buddy:

free you're self! its ok friend! its ok.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Applewhite posted:

You may not be lying. You could just be a dolt.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Applewhite posted:

Because you're afraid that if you get inside a villain's head you'll start thinking like them for real and won't be able to turn back?

this is such an incredibly vague question
villain? villain to who? if you're writing galactus and come out the other end thinking eating the earth is a great idea i think that says more about who you always were then anything about the dangers of 'inhabiting the mindset of a fictional character' or some rot

what is a villain?
a villain is the opposing force, they are what the hero of a children's show or a comic book struggles against, their role is to create conflict for the hero or heroes to triumph over, from a writing perspective the villain is the stand-in for those ideologies the writer, or the people paying the writer, find to be morally unpalatable
by definition a villain is not a character that is to sympathized with and a lot of work can be put in to codify these characters, and by extension the ideas they represent as such
nobody watches rasputin singing 'evil will find her' with a chorus of bugs while his body parts bounce around wildly and thinks 'you know, this is a guy who really gave his soul to end the tyranny of monarchy in russia, what a hero'

it's also possible your conflating the term villain with antagonist
an antagonist is simply the character in the story that opposes, in some fashion, the protagonist; all villains could be called antagonists but not all antagonists are villians
an antagonist is not required or expected to represent some undesirable aspect of humanity, you can have a crime novel where the protagonist is a petty thief turned murder and the antagonist is the cop attempting to bring them in
it's not strictly required to have a sympathetic protagonist, the protagonist is pretty much defined as the character that the story follows after all, although you better be a pretty skilled writer if you don't want to drive away most of your potential readership by doing so, and so there's going to be a strong temptation to humanize the murder and demonize the officer in order to create an empathy to help pull the reader along through the story

so yeah, this is a pretty loving stupid question because it drips with the kind of try-hard edginess you expect of a tween just figuring this stuff out for the first time while simultaneously seeking validation from their peers
agreeing with the mindset of the villain your writing is like writing a persuasive essay from a devil's advocate perspective and coming out the other end convinced by your own argument, which is usually a sign that your original position wasn't very well thought out to begin with
to have that same concern over writing a character that, by definition is a representation of something you and/or society at large finds undesirable is like the catholic priest going, 'you know what, now that i actually, seriously think about this, toking it up and getting into a drunken orgy with a dozen gay men seems pretty swank actually, i don't know if i ever really bought into that god stuff to begin with'

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AriadneThread posted:

this is such an incredibly vague question
villain? villain to who? if you're writing galactus and come out the other end thinking eating the earth is a great idea i think that says more about who you always were then anything about the dangers of 'inhabiting the mindset of a fictional character' or some rot

what is a villain?
a villain is the opposing force, they are what the hero of a children's show or a comic book struggles against, their role is to create conflict for the hero or heroes to triumph over, from a writing perspective the villain is the stand-in for those ideologies the writer, or the people paying the writer, find to be morally unpalatable
by definition a villain is not a character that is to sympathized with and a lot of work can be put in to codify these characters, and by extension the ideas they represent as such
nobody watches rasputin singing 'evil will find her' with a chorus of bugs while his body parts bounce around wildly and thinks 'you know, this is a guy who really gave his soul to end the tyranny of monarchy in russia, what a hero'

it's also possible your conflating the term villain with antagonist
an antagonist is simply the character in the story that opposes, in some fashion, the protagonist; all villains could be called antagonists but not all antagonists are villians
an antagonist is not required or expected to represent some undesirable aspect of humanity, you can have a crime novel where the protagonist is a petty thief turned murder and the antagonist is the cop attempting to bring them in
it's not strictly required to have a sympathetic protagonist, the protagonist is pretty much defined as the character that the story follows after all, although you better be a pretty skilled writer if you don't want to drive away most of your potential readership by doing so, and so there's going to be a strong temptation to humanize the murder and demonize the officer in order to create an empathy to help pull the reader along through the story

so yeah, this is a pretty loving stupid question because it drips with the kind of try-hard edginess you expect of a tween just figuring this stuff out for the first time while simultaneously seeking validation from their peers
agreeing with the mindset of the villain your writing is like writing a persuasive essay from a devil's advocate perspective and coming out the other end convinced by your own argument, which is usually a sign that your original position wasn't very well thought out to begin with
to have that same concern over writing a character that, by definition is a representation of something you and/or society at large finds undesirable is like the catholic priest going, 'you know what, now that i actually, seriously think about this, toking it up and getting into a drunken orgy with a dozen gay men seems pretty swank actually, i don't know if i ever really bought into that god stuff to begin with'

That's a very good point.I never thought about it like that.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
all GOOD writers know you have to create a villain tulpa if you want your evil character to be realistic, jesus effing CHRIST have you even read any of CC or did you just come down here to be applewhite posting about applewhite

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am not here to condemn or really have any opinion about wank boobs, literally I jus think it's absurd to think inventing fake people affects you as a real person.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Well, I don't think the act of creating a character inherently changes you, but the characters allow you to think through situations or perspectives that you may not normally get. That can definitely lead to changes in the creator, either over time or through epiphanies. But writing a character won't turn you into a villain just as much as my posting doesn't turn me into a gigantic poo poo. You still have your own responses and rationalizations. Your personality doesn't loving disintigrate, unless you're obsessed with the concept of villainy and you try to channel it constantly.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I have an opposite sort of thing. When I read posts by applewhite it makes me want to become evil and stab him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Saddest Rhino posted:

draw smaller space tits and that would be more inclusive. actually draw more space tits of different sizes

space tits for all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pick posted:

I am not here to condemn or really have any opinion about wank boobs, literally I jus think it's absurd to think inventing fake people affects you as a real person.

wank boobs

I've never seen those words together before

I feel like a large crystal bowl and for 20 years I have sat on a shelf and someone has just taken a teaspoon and tapped me lightly and I am going thrimmmmmmmmmm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'll be frank: sociopathic/nihilistic villains are only actually interesting in terms of serving to frame the worlds that they exist in. Koobus of District 9 is a good villain because he's the visible portion of the disavowed "excess" generated by MNU's capitalist drive, and he doesn't even have any bigger ideology backing it: he just loves to loving kill. Some dude's grandstanding slogans about how everything is meaningless or that man is the most dangerous animal or whatever are infinitely less interesting than the question of why a sociopath is allowed to walk free in a society (or, even more, why he's a highly-paid employee of a major corporation).

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I have a copy of Dungeons and Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness and thus am an expert on making the grimmest of darkest characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Axel Serenity posted:

I have a copy of Dungeons and Dragons: Book of Vile Darkness and thus am an expert on making the grimmest of darkest characters

I hear the guy who wrote that went insane and murdered hi's famil. :ohdear:

• Locked thread