Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

Try to slip a "hail satan" into your conversation with the service writer.
Kingsman "Catholic whore" monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My $1100 shitbox apparently has two catalytic converters, one front and one rear, with a total replacement cost of $575 including labor.

Gonna check Rockauto again because fuuuuuck thaaaaat.
Do you actually need them?

QuarkMartial posted:

How do I deal with idiots and cars and not punch people in the face?
Get a gun.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

Steering was good, but I'd come to expect, from reading all the reviews, that this last stand for Porsche hydraulic steering was supposed to be incredible. My 944 had better steering feel (and a tighter shifter, and it was transaxle!).
I've learned to take stuff like that to mean "for this generation" or something similar. So "Hey, this steering feel is the best we've had in a car of this class..." kind of has to be taken to have a qualifier of "....that you can buy new/from this time period" on the end of it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

(Anybody wanna buy some fancy fishing reel oil? :v: )
At least you're not the guy who ordered a half-amillion-dollar heat treatment furnace that was technically too big for the space it was meant to go into.

If you got the stuff at bulk pricing, why not try hawking the box to a fishing shop, or putting it on ebay?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, they are actually completely different blocks, it was actually a rumor that they were based on gas motors.
The Land Rover 2-1/4 petrol and diesel engines are effectively the same bottom end (the petrols are damned tough as a result of it). They also had the idea of dieselising the Rover V8 (project Iceberg), which never made it into production, and I'm assuming went exactly as well as you'd expect.

leica posted:

It sucks that those people got killed, but honestly it was a risk they were willing to take.
Yeah, especially with rallying. At a circuit, you generally expect that the runoffs, walls and fences should make it unlikely that a car can hit spectators, but that's a world away from "If it looks a bit sketchy, I'll jump behind that tree real quick like, and try not to drop my scotch egg".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

I had to google what a scotch egg was, looks.......interesting.
Sidenote: They aren't really anything to do with Scotland, despite the "what is the most unhealthy way we can prepare this healthy food?" nature of them making it seem that way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

another great weekend at the cabin. the boys caught there first macrells and we picked 75l of blueberries. i am dead tired. but i guess thats part of parenting.

we really need a truck tho. we could drive a mile closer and shave off 50% off the walk with some more ground clearance. will be checking out some amaroks and hiluxes the next week, and also a forrester.
When's the Tesla SUV out?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

Didnt know you cant let Audi/VW CV's pop out of joint while doing struts. Cost the shop some money and myself some dignity... :(
Do all the balls fall out or something?

My friend and I have been in no way careful when working on his A3, and didn't have any issues.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Do you mean in the inner spider (sliding 3-roller) ones?

Yeah, they can drop a bearing and either vibrate or just shake to death. It's not unusual to happen, but you can pop the boot and put it back together if you catch it before you drive it.
No, I think VAG use regular type CVs for inners, not the "tripod" joints.

I had a tripod joint come apart in a Panda. The joint is internal to the diff itself. loving needle bearings everywhere.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

/Fiat. Usually the ring gear parts company with the diff before the CVs need work. Shitheaps.
This is on a 4x4, and the 4x4 gubbins is made by Steyr-Puch, and it really throws it into sharp relief.

So you have regular, fairly delicate Fiat mechanicals throughout the front half of the drivetrain, then as soon as the prop exits the back of the gearbox, it's like everything's built to take an attack from a pissed-off T-Rex.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fjelltorsk posted:

first off, im not made of money.

second, we are not ready to become an all EV household and finally.

you cant toss a dead deer in the back of an Tesla and not feel abit like an rear end...

I did however just sign the papers for a 2015 amarok with 2200kms on the clock. 2.0tdi, 8speed auto and highline trimlevel. finding a five seat variant was hard. so when i found a nice on we jumped on it even tho it was a good 12k bucks more than we ideally would want to spend on a "beater".

i use the term beater in the loosest of terms tho. this is as much of a beater i am willing to transport my kids in. My accident gave me a scare. and while i am perfectly willing to drive around in a 1981 hilux with gorillatape as part of the subframe i am not willing to transport my family in one.

i think the targabarthingie on the back needs to go tho,and maybe the cowcatcher
Ok, fair enough.

Those front bars are often flimsy as hell, and do nothing but trash your bumper/grille in a bump that would otherwise have just been paint scratches.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

I think i hit 30mph at one point.
Yeah, but that's with a cup of tea (six sugars) in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other, yelling "ORRIGHT LUV" at a female corner marshal as you swerve to stop that minicab wanker behind you from overtaking.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

Me.txt

AWRIGHT DAAAARLIN'? WAHEEYYYY LADSLADSLADS.
That's how we all act when driving a van, though, don't deny it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

John Wick is one the best action movies, full stop.
Mmm, I wasn't sure when I started watching it, but it was really good.

Besides, they killed his dog. Kill 'em all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

14 INCH DICK posted:

Because dog lovers are mentally deficient?
Dogs are better than people.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

Pit girls are awesome when raised right

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

A workmate has just offered me a second free gas mower, apparently not propelled so fingers crossed it's 2 stoke, "best" one will be for the lawn, other one might be gutted for a go kart...
For you or the kids?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Meh. They all look the same.

Gimme more geeky/nerdy ginger chicks
It was a joke about pit girls. It does not relate to anyone's taste in women.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, watch Narcos, it's really good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Speak for yourself, my smallest car fits down ATV trails when I put it in 4x4 :colbert:
People really don't appreciate the advantages of a tiny, light 4x4, even without a low box.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh for gently caress's sake... :ughh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

corn in the fridge posted:

if you had pulled that sort of poo poo while working for me you'd have one foot out the door already
You certainly sound like big-chain service shop management material, I'll give you that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

You're a loser who smokes animal poo poo, lives in a hovel and threatens violence at low effort trolling.
And yet we still like him more than you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

You know Oz is just screwing around right? He didn't mean that seriously :v:
Figured it was a possibility, but still. I take my opportunities to be acerbic as and when they present themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

You lot are a bunch of dweebs. Outtrigger trolling is about an obscure Sega arcade FPS which had a Dreamcast release.
I own a Land Rover. My outriggers trolled me into thinking they were solid metal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

ATS near our office is staffed entirely by miserable cunts who seem to absolutely loathe their jobs and each other, and do everything begrudgingly.
I buy my tyres from Oponeo or somewhere, and get my local National Tyres to fit them.

Cakefool posted:

Ah that reminds me, the totem of hatred and anguish multipla is misbehaving, occasionally hard to get into first and second, other times it's fine, third and higher is always okay. Oil was changed recently, clutch engages 1/2 - 2/3 down and doesn't slip, what is that likely to be and how do I fix it? My wife loves this car.
Sounds to me like either the linkage for the 1-2 shift fork, or the synchro.

Also, check ya PMs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

I've previously bought tyres online a few times and fitted them myself (I used to work as a tyre fitter) or had friends fit them.

For the little i've saved, it's not worth the extra hassle. There's a place near me that for the tyres on my car they were £8 cheaper each online delivered. By the time you buy them, take them somewhere and pay £5+ (if needed) to have them fitted and balanced it's easier to just drive straight somewhere and get them to do it.
Well, I tend to do it this way because I'm either after specific tyres they don't have, and/or it gives me the opportunity to refurb the wheels.

It's not really any less convenient for me, and if saves a tenner, well, it buys me dinner, so eh.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everyone knows that it's pronounced Ing-Urrr-Laaahnd when in reference to the whole tribal numpties kicking a pigskin silliness.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

American football fans don't need to be locked up in cages in the stands like zoo animals.
No, we can put them in with the rest of the population when the revolution comes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I see both sides. I like a little let's-see-what-we-can-get-out-of-it engine, I like a big throbby engine. Depends whether it suits the vehicle and usage criteria, really.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

It never struck me as impressive -- it's just cheap power compared to getting rare parts to build up a poorly-supported motor or swapping in something exotic like a V12.
There is something to be said for sheer bloodymindedness when people manage to get a load of power out of a rather unsuitable engine. 200bhp from an NA Ford pre-crossflow Kent. Mini A-series with a 16v, 8-port head and forced induction. Even though I don't like diesels a great deal, some of the VAG 1.9 builds are just silly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

:bahgawd: :tinfoil: "Jet Fuel can't melt steel beams"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

I always wondered why things in a dystopian future where fuel was more scarce than bullets people didnt run turbodiesels everywhere. Same torque as a big V8, but economy instead of thirst.
Because when the world's going to poo poo around you, and there's no hope of it changing for the better, and when there's little to look forward to than the slim chance that it'll end quickly for you in a way that will cause you to be remembered... You can at least retain your self respect, and know that you're better than those compression-ignition heathens.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd advise everyone to avoid engaging a Brit in a discussion about politics for the next few days.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I heard that the British were replaced by godless commies.
Yes.

For anyone who hasn't felt the desire to punch their monitor today:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13713677.Joys_of_pootling_along_in_the_car/?ref=mr&lp=4

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

iwentdoodie posted:

Pulling down or pulling back?

Cause pulling back is the only way to shift up in a sequential, imo.
Yeah. I've driven an auto which had a "manual" mode the other way round (push away from you to shift up), and it's loving infuriating.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So is the dashcam footage completely barred from being taken into account, or is it still good enough to say "lol nope" if someone turns around and blatantly lies about something the footage clearly shows (e.g. they back into you and claim you ran into them).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I feel slightly embarrassed about how much I like my Aygo. I've been looking at upgrading to one with aircon.

I took mine to France a few weeks back and did 130/80mph for 8 hours each way (you have to drop to 70 up big hills if you get balked by someone and lose the revs).
You can get 3rd part cruise control kits for them. i'm tempted.
Small, basic, but competent cars are great.

Tomarse posted:

Anybody else in the UK - If I buy a Cat C write off that comes with no V5 (which seems legit - looks like you have to get a VIC test to get it back). How do I buy road tax on it to drive it home?
I don't think you can. Once you get the VIC test, you can tax it, but I don't think you can before.

However, don't forget you can drive an untaxed car to a pre-booked MOT (and to a pre-booked VIC test, as it happens).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Yeah, I usually book an mot test for any new purchases at my local garage as they are nice and will let me reschedule at the last minute.

I am assuming that I can't book an mot for a cat c though? The vic test centre is nowhere near home and would cost me £45
Well, if you don't want to trailer it to the VIC, it needs an MOT to drive it there, so logically yes.

Have you confirmed that it definitely has a VIC marker on it?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

How bad an idea would it be to transplant a whole rear subframe from a lower mileage less rusty one in the scrapper's? About to hit 200,000 on this thing.
Probably not a bad idea, but I'd take the extra time to rebuild it with new bushes and repaint it etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I managed to get the hazard switch working yesterday but obviously it's intermittent. Knob.
It's a loving flashing light. Of course it's intermittent. :colbert:

• Locked thread