Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So I was just involved in a minor traffic accident (accident my rear end, she sideswiped me deliberately), and the other driver was apparently in a real big hurry :rolleyes:, so she only hastily gave me her phone number and the city she lives in.

The phone number points to some dude in a city like 50km away in the opposite direction of the city she claims to live in. What a loving surprise.

At least I got the plate number on my dashcam, unfortunately the actual footage cannot legally be used for anything here.

So I've submitted everything to the insurance company, including the fact that she gave lovely information (I gave her my address, phone number, insurance company etc.) and basically blamed me. I was in my lane, she tried to overtake in the oncoming lane and across blocking lines, and she drove into the side of my car to avoid hitting the traffic lights.

Now I'm wondering whether I should report her to the police as well.

The damage to my car seems to be really minor, if anything. The cars rubbed against each other, but most of the 'damage' seems to come off with a good ol' wet finger rubbin'. Maybe there's a little scuffing on the plastic, but that looked lovely already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tide posted:

Why can't the dashcam footage be used? There's no expectation of privacy on a public road.

Also, always always always ALWAYS call the police. Do not take her information. Let her give it to the police and then you get it from the police report.

Also, always call the police.

Dashcam footage is basically useless here from a legal standpoint, it cannot be used as evidence, and insurance companies don't even want to look at it. But it's nice to have for remembering license plate numbers, and recording you talking about insurance details in case you misremember a digit in their phone number or something when you write it down.

I called the police as we were talking, since we absolutely couldn't agree about anything. But since no injuries etc. had happened, they didn't come out.

Now I've called them again to report the lacking (and incorrect) information she gave me. That got a better response, dunno whether it's worth anything. With no witnesses or anything, it's my word against hers, and the damage is probably so minor it can be buffed off quickly, leaving no evidence.

At least it seems that way on my car. Hardly seems worth going through insurance for, but I wanted to report it to my insurance company before her report (if she ever files one) comes to them. There's no need to spend any money at all fixing my car, I can fix any minor damage myself. But I absolutely don't want to pay for anything damaged on her car.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 14, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

Germany?

In any event, in the US, failure to give license, address, insurance card, etc is a hit and run even if they stop but refuse to give you those details. That will get the cops to come out even in LA. Dunno about where you live, but for next time (hopefully never), it may be worth calling them after she refuses to give over details.

Denmark.

Anyway, I called the police and gave them the plate number. They called the registered address and talked to the owner of the car. They got the driver's name, insurance company and everything else, which I've passed on to my insurance company.

It's really just a minor scrape. I wish she could get a fine for driving like a maniac, but with no witnesses, there's no chance. Plus, I looked at my dashcam footage, and it doesn't actually show her hitting me. It just goes *BONK* and then she drives past me. Even if it could be used as evidence, it's inconclusive without witnesses. Of which there are precious few in the middle of the night.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I talked to the insurance company and chose a mechanic nearby, as there is a dent and some paint damage on the rear door. Courtesy car with 100km/day is included :toot:

I also asked about the validity of dashcam footage as proof of anything, and she recommended that I make a copy and keep that, just in case push comes to shove, since there were no witnesses. The insurance lady said she would look into whether it can actually be used, but I should definitely keep it for now. I was actually surprised by this, since I had always heard it was basically worthless as proof of anything here, unless your camera is police-grade and regularly inspected.

I looked through the footage again, and in my mind it's pretty drat conclusive. I am literally all the way into the left lane before she hits me, while passing at a significantly higher speed. There is literally no way anyone can watch that and think I changed lanes into her.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm 99,999% sure it cannot be used as evidence in court, but that doesn't necessarily apply to how the insurance company would use it.

Maybe they'll use it and decide the insurance case in my favor, but then I'll get a small fine for illegally recording people without their consent. Similar things have happened before.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

I once attended the wedding of a good friend in NC. Unfortunately despite his wife's family being similarly loaded their generosity didn't extend to anyone on his side of the family and we all booked hotel rooms for three days and made the 900 mile round trip. The day of the wedding anyone not related to or invited by the bride's family was asked to leave 45 minutes following the ceremony so they could have a private reception. This included his parents, grandparents and sister who flew her family in from Colorado.

Ever since I've had a "don't go to weddings outside the family that require more than a few hours travel time and/or an overnight stay" rule.

Holy poo poo :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

V-Power is like the biggest :flaccid: out there, unless you drive something with aggressive turbocharging or super high compression.

</buzzkill>

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Agreed, but my engine gets noticeably fewer spurious misfires at idle with it than without. Google "118i ruckeln" for all the fun info. I haven't been able to find a solution, but I'd love to hear about one.

That's a weird issue, I would suspect the coil pack or something, but obviously you've already thought of that.

I have a similar "issue" with my 406, it's kinda shaky at idle, sometimes very much so, but only when cold. No codes or anything obviously abnormal going on, and it's completely unrelated to fuel grade. When it's completely warmed up, it idles smooth as butter, I can't even feel it through the steering wheel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some dude just called me up from a withheld phone number and asked whether I was still looking for my stolen Yamaha XT660X (which was stolen almost exactly a year ago). I told him that I would be interested to hear if he knew where it was. He said that he knew where it was, and had verified the correct VIN. He also said that he know exactly the guy who had it and where to find it.

Then he asked if there was any sort of reward for finding it. I told him that no, I wasn't offering anything, because I had gotten my insurance payout and thus the motorcycle technically belongs to the insurance company now. So any information he could give me would be passed on to the insurance company and the police.

After that he suddenly didn't want to give me any information after all :rolleyes:

Goddamn scammers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Call the police and get the phone logs?

Can't prove that he was actually scamming, and he was probably using an anonymous pay as you go phone card.

I could have asked for the account number he wanted the money transferred to, but I didn't think of doing that until after I hung up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

So, any way he'd be able to find the VIN? Did you publish it online? How did he make the connection between the VIN and your phone number? (Scammer or not.)

The license plate was visible in the post I made on Facebook when it was stolen, and I put my phone number as contact information.

VINs can be looked up online if you have the plate number and vice versa.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

14 INCH DICK posted:

I remember I had personally discovered it a week or two tops after my relationship ended, I got to the end of episode 3 at around 1:30 am on a work night, turned the TV off, and smoked half a pack sitting in the dark in silence for well over an hour.

I felt pretty much the same way. Goddamn that show was dystopic as all hell, without being implausible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, Black Mirror is coming true! :tinfoil:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just bought this bundle of games on Steam, but I had some of them already:

Carmageddon 2: Q(nine)IAA-HMDXC-XH34L
Apogee throwback pack (ROTT+Blake Stone): T(four)NHE-GMF7N-BMEGL
Wizardry 6+7: TMA(two)8-AVT6B-YI0XG

Have at it!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bandman posted:

I bought the book at Target earlier today and just finished it. Couldn't put the book down. Really, really good read. Super psyched for the movie too. I read the whole thing in Matt Damon's voice in my head too.

I'm going to an advance screening on the 5th, and I'm so goddamn hyped about it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Automatic or manual, I don't care. It's all good.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

Have you ever considered not posting in this thread? I think that could work for you.

But how would he fuel his indignation at the "goon collective"? :qq:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seat Safety Switch posted:

And the VW diesel engineering division.

Buy VW stock now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

hahahaha what does this even mean

Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism.

:v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

corn in the fridge posted:

Im realy glad I post here with all the cool ppl on SA who are all totally mentally stable and also have cool jobs and make insane amounts of money unlike those shitheads at reddit :smuggo:

I'll just see myself out then :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are... are those nitrous solenoids under the scoop? :stonk:

Yes, watch the video. There's a 250 shot on it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cage posted:

the long quorn

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That was amazing.

And goddamn did the passenger look embarrassed as gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

scuz posted:

Mighty Car Mods, a YouTube show where a Duo from Down Under do wacky things to cars! The only thing I don't like is the soundtrack.

Unfortunately, the soundtrack will literally never get any better, because it's all Moog's music.

It's not that offensive, though, and the only not-awesome thing about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugh, it was moving day at work today. Nothing huge, just moving to a different building. It's just a giant stick in the wheel of your daily routine, especially when you're told you need to move one day earlier than originally planned, as in "we're moving your stuff in 1 hour, better start packing".

Due to the fact that we're all on open-plan floors, we obviously had to figure out who got the slightly more desirable desks with the walls behind then, instead of being completely out in the open.

It mostly went without any issues, but one of my colleagues was all like "I've been with the company for 35+ years, I come in super early and leave super late, so I should get the best spot, because I'm here all the time and I'm used to having a good spot like that". So we decided to draw lots so everything would be all fair like, but he said he was too busy to participate. We drew lots for him as well in his absence, otherwise we would have been unable to unpack our stuff for hours. Well he lost the draw, I got the good spot, now he's grumpy as all hell about it and he's written an email to our boss about how unfair he thinks it is.

And I have to work with this guy.

I loving hate office bullshit. If I knew he would pitch a shitfit like that, I would have just given him the drat spot, but we were trying to be fair about it. It's amazing how petty some people can be.

• Locked thread