Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I passed my bus licence, yay. I'm not a bus driver but I need it for my job fixing trucks and buses so at least I didn't have to pay for it. I did not enjoy squeezing a 52 seat coach around a town centre for an hour.

Hopefully i should get my truck licence in the next few months, only another theory test and 2 more driving tests!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

How come you need a bus licence? I thought that was only if you were actually carrying (over 8) passengers, otherwise you could drive it on a Class 2 (Cat C) licence?

Congrats though!

I want to do Class 1, but it's like 3k and i don't plan on driving trucks all that soon.

Thanks man. Well there was a bit of a panic as its a bit of a grey area with regards to how far you can drive them from your base and for what purposes, so to stay squeaky clean they've put some of us through it, then discovered we were right and you can drive it on a cat c but it was too late they had paid for it. Cost 1.3k for that licence apparently.

Still, I can't drive any bus commercially with passengers in it because I haven't done the CPC :thumbsup:

EDIT: I can also now drive a 25,000kg interdeck 75 seat coach, but i can't drive our 4500kg transit

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 20, 2015

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, it's Cat C because it's over 3.5t, but you don't need D because you won't be carrying passengers. How does it work with the crossover for Cat C/D on the whole weight rating thing? Does D have the same entitlement as C for weight, but with the addition of carrying 8+ passengers, or do you need to do Cat C (Class 2) as well because it's over 3.5t?

Are you doing Class 1 or 2? Do you need the trailer endorsement or do you not need to pull trailers for work?

D is its own seperate thing, as a PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) licence allows me to drive any passenger carrying vehicle with more than 8 seats, it doesn't entitle me to drive any goods carrying vehicle at all.

I will be doing Cat C+E as we take vehicles for test with our test trailer.

Motronic posted:

Where are you that CDLs cost this much?

I mean, I get not having a vehicle to take it in so you pay a school, etc. But if you have a working bus that will pass a pre-trip it's like $100 in PA.

Both parts of the theory test cost less than £100 and the practical test was like £120 maybe?

Its because of the use of a training schools bus and time it costs so much I guess.

That loving old bus would drink ~180 litres on a days driving.

Mooseykins posted:

The whole licencing system is hosed. Although it's hilarious that my mum can drive a 12.5t wagon and drag with her licence, having had no training what so ever to do so.

I want a trailer licence but it's like £500-750 and then i need a tacho if i use it for work, and an operator's licence (tax) and all that poo poo. Fuuuuuuuck all this poo poo. I just want to put my poo poo in my van, my car on a trailer, and drive the gently caress away into the sunset.

In a stroke of common sense now however, you can take all of your truck and bus tests in autos and get a full manual license as long as you did your car test in a manual.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 20, 2015

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Oh right, i thought it was all based on weight rating.

God drat, they're spending on cash on you. That'll be like almost £5k in training (retail) they're paying for. Shame that HGV driving pays poo poo here.

Is the pay decent at your work? I always wanted to get into working on trucks when i was younger, and applied for all the manufacturers, but never got as much as a call back from any of them.

I sort of fell into it because I didn't know what to do with my life. Pays good though HGV mechanics are in short supply and the jobs pay anywhere from £14-18 ph with all the paid overtime you want. Plus shift allowances and callout fees if you do breakdowns etc.
The best paid truck drivers from the ones i've talked to seem to be the ones that move machinery/plant for the railways. Like north of £50k good.

InitialDave posted:

Bear in mind that to get a full bike licence in the UK is a bare minimum $350, and that's assuming you have a bike, kit and insurance already, and don't need any training beyond the mandated Compusory Basic Training (CBT is at least $150 of that cost). I'm just old enough that my car licence includes a 50cc entitlement automatically, you don't even get that now.

Don't forget they made that complicated too and you can't drive any bike you want unless you do the test at age 24.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 20, 2015

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBpQJ98rR4o&feature=share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
RIP £290 to tax my car for the year

edit: More sad about the £500 it cost to replace the DPF fluid tank on our volvo

warcake fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread