Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

Also it's probably been posted here before, but I happened across this in BFC and it's hilarious: http://bitcalc.beepboopbitcoin.com/

I'm stuck. I've got a bunch of buttcoins, but all of the exchanges have shut down, and all I can do on the darknet to buy drugs. How do you actually get money out of this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Day 3 of no power, no water, no heat. I'm getting pretty sick of this.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
This looks loving rad as hell. I want to know what the hell those things are made of that they don't break when you smash them together.

https://youtu.be/emrSVgJ_x5I?t=57s

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Slow is Fast posted:

The only people complaining about the prestigious misc chat thread opening time are people who probably haven't contributed any actual loving content that is really car related.

I can only speak for myself, but not a lot of it is really worthy of an AI post unless you guys want to hear about "misc. small engine repair" or "I took all of 5 mins to replace the fuel filter on a '60 corvette" or "this is how you clean the air filter, and grease every nipple on a Komatsu backhoe"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

literally a fish posted:

"misc small engine repair" could actually be an interesting thread

This snapchat pic is literally the only picture I have of it because I thought nobody would care.

Our power has been out for 3 days because of a massive windstorm which took out 440,000 people's power. After 2 days of living without power, I had decided that enough was enough =. I went to my dad's place and picked up his cheap, Chinese knockoff, 8.5kW generator. This is a generator that my father bought at a Richie Bros. auction for about $300, not including the obscenely cheap price he paid for the follow up item which was a cheap Chinese knock off ATV (I believe it was called a Shineray? But that's another story). Anyways, he brought home this generator and was very clearly impressed with his frugal purchase. I immediately pointed out that they spelled "Yokohama" wrong, and expressed my suspicions that this was an item not from the glorious Nippon but rather from "The Alabama of Asia". These thinly veiled insults washed over my father (who I suspect didn't quite get it), and we moved the generator into storage, where it sat for the next 10 years.

That brings us to today. I am a man without power. And because I live out in the sticks, I have well water. Which means I don't have water either. So out I trek to my dad's shop to retrieve the only generator that I know of big enough to power a house. But the problem is it hasn't been started in about 10 years. I go through the usual checks: change the oil, add fuel, pull startx6. Nothing. "Maybe the fuel hasn't filled the float bowl yet." I think so I wait a few mins and try again. Still nothing. I check the air filter, it's all clear. I start to go through the checklist: fuel - check. air - check. spark - hmmm.....

So the spark plug gets pulled and lo and behold the motherfucker is corroded to the block. It carefully gets pulled out, the threads are cleaned, and a new plug (stolen from the lawnmower ( :ssh: don't tell anybody) is inserted. I try the pull start again and...Success! It fires up on the first pull. I throw the switch on the surge protector and hear a squeak but the voltmeter begins showing 120V. I think I have this thing fixed. Feeling victorious I loaded the generator into my truck and take it home, ready for it to generate power for the house. As I get home I notice BC Hydro pull out and the lights in the house are on. I'm too late. The power has been restored. All of my efforts are for naught. I wheel the generator into the garage in the hopes it can one day prove itself.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 2, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Darchangel posted:

Pre-order @ GameStop included an exclusive in-game car body, a poster, and a sweet diecast of one variation of the Magnum Opus.
I'm liking the game. Chumbucket is awesome - spark plug necklace, another sparkplug in his ear, and a tool pouch loincloth?

Please don't pre-order video games

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey let's install 15lb speakers on tiles that are meant to break off if water or anything hits it. What could possibly go wrong!?

Why would the tiles break if water or anything else hits them? Why would you design a tile like that?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
If a tree fell over in a windstorm, is there any chance it would survive a re-planting a little bit deeper, in a different spot?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

Any visible damage to the roots? My step-dad used to own a tree moving service, I guess as long as the roots are intact it can be saved.

A bunch of the bigger ones are snapped off, and I'll likely have to cut a few to get it out of the ground, but there are still a bunch coiled around the bottom of the trunk in a ball and those ones look alright.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Darchangel posted:

Also, why not? I was pretty sure I'd like the game after reviews, who made it, etc.
:siren: MustardFacial gets in a huff about the games industry.....again. :siren:

The reason why you shouldn't pre-order games is because the publishers want you on the hook before the embargo's drop and you find out the game is a big piece of poo poo. They want their $60 from you based solely on the marketing and hype train they've managed to generate. Ever wonder why video game advertising seems so much more sensationalist than anything else? That's why. These companies want you on the hook before anyone has had a chance to warn you off it.

Want to know why there aren't demos anymore? This is why. The onus is no longer on the game maker to convince you they're making a good game, when you are so willing to plop down $60 months before it's out.

Do you want games to be stable on release? Do you want new IP? Do you want the content of the game to justify the money you spent? Do you want GOOD games again? Then stop pre-ordering. Publishers have exactly ZERO reason to ensure any of these things happen if you keep pre-ordering games. The same game you pre-ordered will still be there on release day, yeah you probably wouldn't have gotten the hot wheels but the fact that they're willing to include something like that (and charge you extra for it) shows how badly they want your money upfront, right now.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I need to have this in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-uTtOBF54

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

iwentdoodie posted:

Just found that the blown 16v motor in the GTI is cammed. Now to figure out WHAT cams. 99% they're from Techtonics.

All that said, any ideas on removing stripped triple square bolts from the head? Looks like they torqued it with a loving hex head.

How do you strip a triple square? Unless your answer is "intentionally"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
[edit]^^^ What he said.

iwentdoodie posted:

Like I said, I'm guessing they torqued it down with either hex or torx heads. All of the bolts were a bit chewed up, but these two are basically circles.

Weld a hex head bolt to the top of the triple square.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Drinking heavily, watching nerd poo poo.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter - $3500.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5144377244.html

What do you think AI, worth it?

Get the Baja.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Spore...what a piece of poo poo, never again. It's nice Steam is good with refunds so I can buy a game without worrying too much.

The new SimCity is what did it for me. What a steaming piece of poo poo that game was.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Phone posted:

That said, the copy protection schemes of consoles back in the day are rad as hell and checking SRAM is like a few lines of code.

If you're interested in that kind of thing, here's bunnie's blog on hacking the original xbox

I had one from geohot about the PS3 as well, but I can't find it right now. I'll link it if I find it again.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah. I loving loved that game. Played it on an IBM PS/2.

Looks like you can still play it if you are comfy with dosbox.

Even easier: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Street_Rod_1989

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

corn in the fridge posted:

this sounds horrifying

It smells like dogshit but is actually really good.

Other strange Canadian things: this has happened to me more than once, and returned the favour (Tim Horton's is garbage coffee)

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 3, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Taking Pink Slips all day son.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'll get you one day you bastard

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Street rod. I posted a browser playable version of it a few pages ago. Be warned though, this game has no mouse support

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

scuz posted:

New :siren: HOUR LONG EPISODE :siren: of Roadkill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbcyi_rGdjU

It must be nice to have good tools like a plasma cutter and a lift, and a transmission jack when you're building a lemons car.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

scuz posted:

I giggled a little when Freiberger was upset that someone called them "too hollywood." Sure, you buy lovely cars and fix em up, but when you have the Hot Rod magazine workshop at your disposal it's hard to feel sorry when things break. My favorite episode is still the one where they went to CTC Auto Ranch and had to get a car to a drag strip in like two days.

Yeah, I love roadkill and everything but you can't really complain about being called "hollywood" when the show you're on is the main sponsor of the race, and just about everything at your disposal is free.

Tech inspector: Realistically, how much did you spend on the car?
Roadkill: We bought the car for $500, sold the engine and tranny for $400, and then spent 30 grand. :v:

My favourite episode is still when they did the el camino engine swap in the summit parking lot.

iwentdoodie posted:

There's a suuuuuuper religious couple in the waiting area, the poo poo about that clerk in KY came on the TV and he started muttering about "filthy atheists" in the same manner that Draco Malfoy muttered about mudbloods.

Start singing the song from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku497rURF8

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

meatpimp posted:

It's on its way out, but the N5 has been gone for 2 years and is still a viable phone. I tried the Zenfone 2 last month and, spec-for-spec, it seemed to be comparable to the N5... but in person it felt cheap and flimsy. Plus I didn't like the stock Asus OS implementation. I realized I am spoiled by the high-quality, feature-packed Nexus line... but I did like the larger size.

I was going to wait for the N5x/whatever replaces the N6, but with the N5x coming out with only a 5.2" screen and a price point of $400, this N6 deal for $350 is too good to pass up. Google has historically blown out its old models just before the new ones come out.

The new N6 could be interesting, but it's from a manufacturer much less known in the US, plus it's price point will be higher yet than the 5x.

With all of that, I grabbed an N6 from Amazon with delivery tomorrow... unfortunately, I don't have a nano-SIM to plug in. :smith:

You can cut a regular SIM down to nano SIM size.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
My busted up N4 is still going (mostly) strong. My contract is up for renewal next month and I don't know what phone to get, been thinking S6 but also gently caress Samsung. Let's hope the N5x is good.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Raluek posted:

Yeah, god forbid someone tries to actually make a nice experience for the user.

I've never met an android phone that wasn't a janky unresponsive piece of crashy garbage, but this isn't yospos so I guess I'll leave it at that.

If by nice user experience you mean "Apple will tell you what to do and you're going to sit there and like it because what the gently caress do you know you stupid pleb? Do you know who Steve Jobs is?!?!"

Then yes I couldn't agree more.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I rather see pictures of a sexy rear end Genny then some slow rear end Lesbaru or rainbow colored Miata. Sorry not sorry.

Defend that purchase a bit more, I still hear a little bit of remorse in your voice.

All cars are rad in their own way, it's the drivers that ruin them.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, but that's with a cup of tea (six sugars) in one hand and a bacon buttie in the other, yelling "ORRIGHT LUV" at a female corner marshal as you swerve to stop that minicab wanker behind you from overtaking.
Mooseykins seems like more of a Ploughman's man to me

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 7, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
The wife said she wants to start trying to have kids and I am freaking the gently caress out.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

angryhampster posted:

I remember that conversation. I'd been wanting kids for a while, but when my wife finally agreed with me I was holy 'Oh holy poo poo.'

We now have a 3 week old son and it's awesome.

I didn't want to say this to her but, I don't really see an upside to it. Having a kid shuts a lot of doors for you, it takes all of your spare cash, and there's also the fact that if you gently caress this up you end up raising the kid to be a lovely person.

I can barely take care of myself. How well am I going to be able to take care of a kid?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ssjonizuka posted:

A lot of this is perspective. I'm not trying to say you're looking at it wrong, but consider the flip side of the coin...

Having kids opens a lot of other doors to experiences you would never imagine otherwise. It's only money, you'll spend it somewhere anyways, and well, sometimes it's not even up to you whether the kid will be hosed up or not. *shrug*

Good luck on whatever path you and your other half choose - having kids is definitely not for everyone, but I could never go back, even with how hard it is right now (the new buzzword I'm hearing is "threenager" - seems apt I guess).
It probably is just perspective. I guess the reason why I say I don't see an upside is because I don't know what the upside would be? What doors does having a kid have, that not having one doesn't? A friend of mine had a kid a couple years ago and a couple weeks after he was born I asked his wife what's it like to be a mother. She looked at me with all seriousness and said "I feel like I was lied to."

kimbo305 posted:

What did you guys decide on when you got married? I was in a really good relationship for... 7 years? With someone who didn't want to have kids. I waited for a long time to see if I would change my own mind about it, but I never did. Having gone through that, making sure we had the same general plan for kids would definitely be something I'll iron out early on in my next serious relationship.
I told her I would. I do kinda still want to, like it seems like I'd be missing an opportunity that I'd later regret if I didn't. But at the same time, now that the event has come up all I can think of is the bad sides.

leica posted:

But if you're worried about it taking up your spare cash and time then yeah, you probably should not have kids.

[edit] and this is fine, you just need to communicate it to your wife.

Honestly, it's not the money I worry about, not really anyways. Yeah, having a kid may mean that I'll never get my bike license/a bike and go adventure riding with some of my friends, and yeah it may mean I'll never get a project car because I'll never be able to afford it. But none of that really matters that much in the grand scheme of things.

I'm mostly worried about loving it up. I didn't have the best childhood growing up, and I don't want to give that to my kids. However I don't want to go so far down the other end that they grow up being useless people who don't know how to use a can opener or boil water.

I don't know, maybe I'm spinning this poo poo inside my head too much. Maybe I just need to do it and shut the gently caress up.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've got some poo poo to think about.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
A friend of mine is trying to convince me to buy this done up KLR 650 and go motocamping with him despite the fact that I cannot ride a bike.

I am considering it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mooseykins posted:

Also, how does that work? Do you not have meetings and stuff to actually go to? You just have to do "work" and it can be done any time and anywhere so long as it's done within the given deadlines?

A lot of it is just sit on skype all day talking with various people you need to talk to. Otherwise you can go down the path of our inevitable cyberpunk future and get a telepresence robot

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That's where I get mine as well. My eye doctor wasn't pleased that I wasn't gonna let him rape me on a pair of lovely Chinese frames.
Unless the frames said Fanbao or Huangchi or some other chinese word then they definitely weren't chinese frames. The cost price for frames is loving astronomical. If your optometrist is charging you $350-$400 for a pair of Hugo Boss/Armani/whatever frames then they probably cost him $300 per frame to have in the store. Don't blame the optometrist for the cost of loving plastic. Blame the fashion industry.

Also, go get your loving eyes checked properly even if your prescription doesn't change. It's insane the amount of seemingly-unrelated health problems the optometrist will give you early warning on just by looking at the back of your eye.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

What do you mean, like he can tell if you have some sort of disease or a health condition by looking at your eyes?

Yeah. Early detection on head tumours, blood pressure problems, diabetes risk, some forms of cancer detection, etc. can all be seen really early with a regular eye exam (especially if they numb your eye and stick that multi-mirror lens thing on it.)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Siochain posted:

Hahah, well, fair. I miss my old Geo Tracker, because it was the same. And honestly, our Venza (AWD) is more capable on snow/ice than the truck is. But the truck has some pretty solid clearance, and handles big bumps better. I haven't really done much beyond some relatively well-maintained fire roads and logging roads - the other stuff is why I really, really, really want to grab an old jeep to play with. But, well, houses are expensive. New furnace going in this year, as my insurance company is saying "gently caress you, its old, replace or get raped on prices".

TBF, a new high efficiency furnace will likely save you money in the long run. Our old furnace was a SuperHot from 1971, and I replaced it with a more efficient Weil McLain and just that change alone dropped our gas bill $200 in the winter. The Weil McLain isn't even a high efficiency one, but compared to technology from 1971, this thing might as well use no fuel at all. Same with LED lightbulbs, for the love of gently caress everyone should use LED light bulbs.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 10, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have had this song stuck in my head since 7:00am. :shepicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeN8saLI1IE

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just watched 8 underage college bros get kicked out for trying to order beers. Aww the good old days.

Bro, you should go boot for them. You'd be the coolest, then all you bro's and hang an bro out.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Buy alcohol for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did all of AI's periods sync up or something? Stop being a bunch of pussies. At least NEAIers aren't giant chodes. :jerkbag:

You're the only giant chode here.

• Locked thread