Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Our new guy is super friendly and seems knowledgeable. But he drives a stanced out 97 Honda accord. I'm torn about hating him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So about a month and a half ago, I was loving around with several of the catalogs we have at work and found some fishing reel oil in the lucas one. I decided as a joke (and a bit of practice with our factory order system) to see what kind of pricing it would be if I ordered some. Now, this was never intended to actually be ordered unless I could buy just 2-3 of them and give them as gifts since I didn't want to buy a whole case of reel oil. However I hosed up and pushed the order through while going through the options with the guy who dispatches all the drivers and does the commercial sales. After a week or so of not hearing anything about it from our DC or the corporate people who order our stock in, my store manager told me not to worry about it and it likely wouldn't come. All good right? :toot:

Apparently this thursday, a full case (20 1oz bottles) of fishing reel oil came in with no prior warning which understandably pissed the store manager off. Nobody knew/remembered who had ordered it or what the situation was until today when I noticed it and said I was 90% certain it was me and explained the situation (I hadn't been at work since tuesday). I'm not looking forward to going in monday and talking to the store manager about it. When I first hosed up and made the order, I said I'd purchase the entire case to take care of the gently caress up, but I'd really rather not spend nearly 70-80bux on a case of fancy mineral oil that will take me years to use up. Hopefully she isn't too mad and I get a chance to just try selling it to customers instead of having to buy it all myself.

(Anybody wanna buy some fancy fishing reel oil? :v: )

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

I'd eat an LSx or maybe a K series, no way in hell I'm eating a Renesis :colbert:

I'd eat a renesis, then find a B2200 to stuff it into. ROTARY TRUCK! :circlefap:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Risking opening a 55-gallon drum of worms here with oilchat, but which filters should I be using? (directed to the thread in general) Wix/OEM/anything-but-Fram? They're all within a few $ of each other.

Wix are p. good for the price. O'reilly's house brand is actually made by wix at the same plant and is a few bucks cheaper normally (disclaimer, I work for the green monster so my preference is biased. I still use wix over our house brand though). Bosch, Mobil 1 and the like are all a small step up in quality, K&N is shiny poo poo for magpie minds and not worth the price despite the nut on base of the regular filters being a p. awesome thing. There are some royal purple filters if you just wanna toss your money into the trash.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

I whacked 6 deliveries in an hour at least once today (according to the computer), and averaged 4 per hour through my entire shift, including the time I was in the store. I've hit 7 per hour once at this store, which had both the owner and area coach asking my boss "how the hell did he do that?".

I've done 30+ deliveries in 6 hours of work twice in the last month with 8 done in an hour. Get on my level scrub. :P

(5 of these were done in a single stop, I'm not as awesome as I pretend)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My delivery area covers (parts of) 4 cities. :colbert:

(I've done 11 in an hour before at another store, but all on one trip)

Mine covers parts of 5 cities/communities. Spring Hill, Brooksville, Bayport, Hernando Beach and Weeki Wachi.

(Your delivery area is probably is just as built up as mine. I should take a video of the run out to one of our far shops. 15 minute drive, but down an awesome little bit of road lined with pine forests in the state park on both sides.)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Your area sounds like it's a lot nicer. Mine is about half 70s starter homes, the rest is really wide spread out stuff. Lots of former farmland (and current farmland). Covers primarily east Allen, part of Lucas, most of Parker, and a tiny tiny part of Plano.

Not really, most of the area was first laid down in the 70's and 80's with a bit more construction in the 90's. Farther north of here is where most of the recent construction has been. Once you cross north of county line, it gets kinda desolate until you hit the crystal river area, then it just turns into farmland once you pass SR 44. SR 50 is basically the northern limit of the tampa/st pete sprawl. Its kinda terrifying how quickly it goes from fairly developed suburbs to ranchettes and dirt roads.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Cage posted:

I am liking all these new hard root beers that are suddenly available in my area. Had some "not your fathers" a few weeks ago, and while good for a change it was still pretty sweet and syrupy. Had some "coney island brewing" and while still slightly chemically testing I thought it was better than not your fathers.

Not your fathers is still pretty good if you can't decide between soda or beer. I've been drinking a bunch of ciders lately, pretty much any I can get my hands on. They're just about perfect for drinking while working in a hot rear end garage in the florida summer. Nice and refreshing without really being heavy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Outrigger trolling is a excellent technique for catching mahi mahi down south of here!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

there was this film I saw once don't remember what it was called green Street something.. Anyway it was all about the football gangs and now i know everything about it

Green street hooligans. It was a pretty alright movie if you don't actually give that much of a gently caress about sportball and just want to watch frodo and young ben kenobi get beat up

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went to Orlando to meet a friend. Had good food and drink. Totally worth the 3.5-4 hour drive. 50 is a good road to just cruise on.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

What loving parts chain do you work for that can and will look up parts like that?

QuarkMartial posted:

The one that just bought Carquest.

I don't know about other stores, but most of us at our store try to help people out if we can as a general rule. If it's something we know, like Ford/Chevy/whatever old rednecks like, we can usually figure it out. If it's something classic or interesting, then we get on the internet and start looking around trying to figure it out. Part of it is to get people to come back, but another part of it is just trying to figure it out for the hell of it. Trying to find a 60+ year old brake return spring presents itself as an interesting problem that needs to be figured out.

E: Our computer systems aren't that advanced, but if we can get a part number we can usually cross it over. Or just start googling poo poo till we figure it out.

Same with the store I work at which is green. I spent around 6 hours one sunday looking for air adjustable rear shocks for a 55 Merc cruiser. And 2 days looking for some unobtainium thermostat and housing for a 52 (I think) DeSoto with one of the very first hemi motors. Finding poo poo like that is actually the fun part of the job imo.

EDIT: On the other hand, yesterday I refused to swap a battery in a PT Cruiser because it would have involved pulling out the airbox. The car's owner was an rear end in a top hat, had her rear end in a top hat daughter with her and an ill behaved little poo poo in the car. It would have taken me 5 minutes more at most, but you could tell they were gonna lose it if it took more than a few minutes of them not having the A/C on in their car and were going to complain if the smallest thing went wrong. Not touching that poo poo. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 14, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Help, the people at the table next to me are bitching about basic algebra, converting metric and chemistry classes in high schools. I can't think of a day (that I do something other than sit around in my boxers) where I don't wind up using something related to at least one of those things. :|

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Let a small amount of butter melt on your tongue, then spit it out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh god. What year is it? Is it possible to get more pics?

Adiabatic posted:

Green is people who say "YO I'M FROM DEEEE-TROIT" like they bad.

Red is people who actually bad mamma jamemas.

VVVV No he didn't, but he's using the city as an excuse on his housing chat when the suburbs surrounding the D crater are some of the richest areas in Michigan.

My best friend has apparently lived in Flint, Pontiac and inside Detroit itself. Normally I mock people relentlessly for doing the "I'M FROM DEEEEE-TROIT MOTHA FUCKA, DON'T gently caress WIT ME" thing, him I let it slide since he's usually not too bad. Gonna give him so much poo poo if he gets that loving Detroit D tattoo'd on him like he's planning to though.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 21, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, I experienced a low blood sugar thingy today while working. Started at 10, then got worse and worse until I finally went home for lunch at 1 and tore through my kitchen eating anything I could get my hands on. After sitting and thinking about it, I realized I had only had 2 6 packs of mini donuts to eat since sunday afternoon/night. Dunno how I went that long without going "gee, maybe I should eat", but I hope to hell I don't do it again anytime soon.

EDIT: On the other hand, I passed my work's dumb parts professional certification tests. It had multiple questions where the answer was flat out wrong like saying the name for the fuel injection system you'd find on late 90's S-10s was central fuel injection instead of TBI like everyone I know calls it and that optima batteries were not AGM batteries and did not require a trickle charger. :|

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 23, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno, I know the system they were describing was the one where you have what basically appears to be a carb (but is the throttle body) sitting on a intake manifold which is the same poo poo my dad had on his S-10, thus me pointing it out. They called it central fuel injection, everyone I've seen refers to it as throttle body injection, its possible we're all wrong though. All I know is its dumb and I want to get a 5.3 to stick in my dad's S-10 instead of his 250k mile 4.3.

EDIT: gently caress, I may be thinking of the 96 he had? I dunno, my dads had half a dozen small trucks over the years with so many different engines in them. Most got put out to pasture with 200k+ miles on them due to working as a cable contractor out of them.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

It doesn't matter where the throttle plate is, it matters where the fuel injectors are. TBI has the injectors in the throttle body, like a carburetor would. Central fuel injection has plastic lines going down each runner with poppet valves. They also have a throttle body on the top of the manifold, but it's just a throttle body, no fuel like a TBI throttle body would have.

TBI:

Spider poo poo:

Yeah, thinking back the 4.3 I'm thinking of would have been spider, which has the proper name of central fuel injection, so I guess the question was right. I'm still right about the optima question being wrong since the training materials optima give us say to only use a trickle charger and that they are glass mat batteries. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Raluek posted:

Oh yeah, Optimas are totally AGM. I don't think an alternator counts as a trickle charger, but I suppose you should still be careful with them to maintain warranty or whatever.

Yeah, the charger part is just referring to you charging it from a stand alone charger. There were other weird questions in there, but it was alot of "Customer complains of X, Y and Z. What is a common cause for these issues" type stuff combined with what the least common related item to sell was. I actually have one of the best averages for related sales in our store, but I do it by just asking stuff like if they have the poo poo they're actually probably gonna need.

EDIT: Meaning brake cleaner if they're doing brakes, antifreeze if they're doing a radiator/water pump, etc. I try not to resort to selling the little packets of grease and poo poo if I can get away with it.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 23, 2015

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jesus, subaru bajas near me have been selling at around 8 grand for the base model with 150k miles on them. A turbo was going for nearly 11k. The only one currently on craigslist is a 2003 for 9.5k with 100k miles. Thats insane for a ~10 year old car that wasn't that popular to begin with. :dogbutton:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

13 volts :wtc: and 55 amps (CCA was 600 amps). And it was visibly swollen on both sides, but not warm. A few minutes later I started smelling rotten eggs, and touched the battery. Fucker was really hot, and had started swelling more. The parts guy said he was going to move it outside the building, and was pretty sure it had at least one shorted cell.

Had one that came out of a dodge pickup about 2 weeks ago (as a core) in the store that was extremely swollen and smoking. Just set it in the back in a plastic back with a shop light hooked up to it using alligator clips. This quickly drained the battery and made it safe to handle without having to worry about someone loving with it and injuring themselves! :eng101:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, apparently the newest vw tdis require some special oil made from fairy tears that none of the other oils we stocked would work for. gently caress tdis forever. gently caress vw forever. gently caress dealerships for not letting the dude buy a few qts so he could do his own oil change like he wants.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I heard something that sounded suspiciously like knocking coming from my motor while next to a building today. I've been too scared to actually go out and look at it/listen to it, telling myself that I'll do it tomorrow when its light and I can really get see whats going on. I'm terrified that I'll find it is telling knock knock jokes when I've got 0 money available to fix it and any money I get goes immediately to bills and food/gas. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

Lol did you try smacking it with a hammer?? :roflolmao:

ofc, he used the one built into his ratchet.

• Locked thread