Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Totally didn't know MGS came out today. Too bad I'm supervising kart practice tonight. Will have to pick it up on the way home as that's the only game series I still play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

keykey posted:

I stopped playing it after MGS2 jumped the shark with the fat guy on roller blades with timed detonators on top of an oil derrick, oh and that ending that was an hour and a half long and started the series descent into crazy town. I did dig the style of the last one on PS3, but the controls were too screwy for my tastes. I got the demo for this one from a friend 6 months ago and I kept playing it and finding new things, it finally went back to its roots of high tech tactical espionage, it's a little corny in places, but I mean.. Come on, it's MGS it has to be a bit corny in some areas I suppose, just not way out anime guy with sword swinging at what in the hell fat guy on roller blades corny.

The whole cheesiness of the series is the appeal to me. MGS2 is probably my favorite one just for how off the rails the plot was. Having a fat guy on roller skates, gay vampires and some dude possessed by an arm were high points in the franchise from my point of view.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Christ I don't know how much more of this loving job I can take. Got in today and got lectured by Business Development for following the rules and and then got a fuckload of "RUSH" emails asking me to turn poo poo around the same day while the manager is dumping a ton of poo poo on me that my coworker couldn't be bothered to do before taking off for vacation. All the while I'm getting stupid questions like "Does a person on long term disability count as disabled?" and "Can you confirm we didn't sell this benefit that appears nowhere in the sold proposal." Every time my phone buzzes I pray to god I'm getting a call for a job I've applied for but it never happens :smith:

Phone posted:

MGS2 is the most important game of 2015.

:agreed:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Coredump posted:

Every time I checked the alternative insanity it was grandpa's old tractor. I was hoping for more homegrown go-kart death machines.

I'm mulling the idea of making a dedicated kart thread next year. The poo poo that's failed on my two stroke kart and my shoestring budget solutions might be entertaining.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I swear to god, I wish somebody would explain to me why we need to spend an hour recalculating rates for a demographic change and then manually adjust them to the old rates for a new proposal.

Every time I suggest to sales they just send in the old proposal that already has the rates they want they lose their poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter - $3500.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/5144377244.html

What do you think AI, worth it?

I have a massive hard on for pre 80s corollas please loving get this.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Next Tuesday I have the loving pleasure of staying late at work for a mandatory team building exercise with the sales department being hosted by third party facilitator.

loving kill me now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

leica posted:

It looks much worse in person. I've looked it over really well inside and out and it appears that it was built on site on to the wall using the studs and then they tiled around it. Yes the tile is pink but it's still in really good shape, and wraps around the entire bathroom. If I could just replace the vanity and then tile over the terazzo floor it would be fine for a decade or more. But if I can't find something reasonably priced I might as well tear the whole thing apart and start from scratch.

My bathroom is the last part of the house that hasn't been touched, everything else has been renovated.

Christ you should see my loving condo, between the shoddy original construction, PO's fuckery, and the lovely job the restoration contractors did when it flooded out I've got my work cut out for me.

Highlights at this point are probably the fact that whoever did the kitchen tiles just decided to say gently caress it and not grout anything below the top of the original stove, restoration contractors being incapable of laying down 5x15 foot of laminate flooring without it bubbling up everywhere and then staking the baseboard trim onto a retractable door that was inside the wall due to it being retracted.

I'm trying to make it my goal this winter to rectify a lot of these issues, but I haven't done any home DIY poo poo in my life so we'll see how that goes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gently caress my manager.

Me and another guy are working from home. Somehow she assigns me five quotes to work on and him three and then gives me another one of his today.

So I'm now doing three loving times the amount of work this guy is just because he's a lazy gently caress who can't do a days work. Seriously just want to quit this loving bullshit.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

lmao over $800 for a 2 night stay in Ocean City, MD for a bachelor party. Just the hotel room. "Hey is that okay? We already have the rooms booked."

These guys have no sense of financial planning, and they're all financial planners.

I had a friend from my piano teaching days get married recently. The bachelor party was organized from a nice guy, but his family is incredibly well off and he's pretty much a trust fund baby. He made the incredible decision of booking a bunch of guys who teach music for a living at a $100/plate restaurant then sold it under the idea that its all you can eat.

It's pretty amazing the disconnect some people have with money.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really couldn't sleep at night paying that kind of dime for one or two days.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fart Pipe posted:

Ive got this one

http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_34&products_id=359

But mine has even nicer hardware than the threaded rods in that kit plus bonus sticker. It must have gotten wet at some point so you might have to shine up the hardware a little.

Ill talk prices with you in texts. Gotta see what it'll cost to ship the intake.

:stare:

The video just convinced me to blow $160. I've been fiddling with the gear linkage ever since I've got that car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, his kit won't fit my car :(

The mk2 Rocco is still on the a1 frame, so that kit won't help me.

The link to that kit is for the a1 chassis. Legit I'll take Fartpipe's for whatever he wants for it but really it should work on your car.

Speaking of Scirocco magic, apparently I figured out why its chewed through two pairs of tires in three months. Raising it to stock height has dramatically changed its toe. :allears:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

:shrug: I wear size 14 steeltoes every day (I don't even own a pair of sneakers) and can 3 pedal the Justy and my Forester no problem.

Hell, the Justy actually has more room around the pedals than the Forester does.

Not sure what the problem is with manual transmissions and boots...

It's just certain cars. My scirocco was one of them where if you are wearing work boots its just terrible, you had to be conscious of your foot placement otherwise one foot was going to end up on top of the other instead of the pedal when coming to a stop. But then I'd get in something like a Ford Festiva and have no problems. I got some dress shoes for a funeral once and they were getting caught on bits right above the pedals to the point where I turned around after 3 minutes and returned them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like just buying a lovely old car and then all the rattles and poo poo is to be expected. I think my mind would explode if I dropped five digits on a car and it made even the tiniest noise.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I just got a parking ticket in the mail for parking my vehicle in the parking lot I've been paying for every month for two years :psyboom:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KozmoNaut posted:

V-Power is like the biggest :flaccid: out there, unless you drive something with aggressive turbocharging or super high compression.

</buzzkill>

V power is pretty bad but there's one canadian gas station that advertises that they have "winter gas" as if its something they thought up and hasn't been in effect for years.

I do use shell though since supposedly they're the only place around here that doesn't put ethanol in their premium and I'm a bit :tinfoil: about my 30 year old fuel system being dry rotted out by it. They supply a local grocery chain's stations though so I just though there.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Great Beer posted:

When did 10 year old 150k+ mile econoboxes get so expensive? I swear everyone around here is trying to get 5k or more for their 01 corolla/cobalt/neon/whatever.

My mom with a straight face last year offered her 03 Corolla S that's been in two accidents to me for $8k and then got all offended when I said that was a terrible deal. I get those cars (excluding the neon) were the first cars that didn't suffer from terrible 90s styling, but there wasn't any sort of quantum leap in cars during that time and they're way overpriced for what they were.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Apparently they forced everybody to work Saturday at work last week, thank god I took it off. I seriously want to this place to burn to the ground.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would assume there is a very real possibility of them just totally leaving the US market, at least with the VW brand if there is even a remote possibility of them escaping some punishment.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

This is a small market for VW, but huge for porsche and audi, so I doubt it.
Also, they can't really escape it because any international business transaction goes through the US at some point, and the feds will just seize that.

Yeah I've got no doubt that Audi and Porsche are here to stay. But considering VW is at best a niche brand that competes with Subaru here and they're the only major European carmaker still here there has to be some cost-benefit analysis being done now. I'm sure if it mitigated the fine in any way they'd probably consider it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Fine fuckers drat I'll start a thread this week.

Edit: my wife is in hair school, and has friends over tonight. I took over the stereo with my vinyl collection. They are NOT happy.

I have the vinyl of the Das Boot soundtrack. You could play it while working on the VW :v:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

I played:
Prince
Beasties Boys
Warrant
Smokey Robinson
Sleep
David Allen Coe
Prince
Prince
Beatles
Prince
Poison
Miles Davis

Then it got shut off

Edit: 1500 how much for the das boot not even joking

Seriously are you my loving lost twin or something? My friend and I just did a TSD Rally in the Scirocco this weekend and had Prince blasting the majority of the time.

I think the record shop I found it at might have another copy. If I find it its yours for whatever it cost (think it was $10) plus shipping if you're serious.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always admired the Festiva. It was the plucky little car that almost always got overlooked or was assumed to be Korean.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah my understanding was that it was a Mazda design, assembled by Kia and sold as a Ford. I do remember the interior having a distinct Kia feel though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Also I find it hilarious that it was that simple for VW to detect test mode vs real driving and that they got away with it for so long.

It's even more hilarious if you go by Autocar's timeline. Apparently the EPA never actually figured it out and ultimately just said "tell us what's going on or you can't sell diesels in 2016"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Waiting on the call-back from a potentially life-changing interview that you THOUGHT went well is an anxiety gauntlet. Was my suit okay? Did I have boogers in my nose? I'm pretty sure I answered that question correctly, but what-if? Did they like me? Who are the other candidates? My immediate mood once I was out of there was "yeah, nailed it" but now that's faded to "jesus christ, I'm gonna be poor forever." :smithicide:

This is my mood every day working my poo poo job hoping I get a callback for an interview for one of the various jobs I've applied for recently. Never loving happens though since every job is getting a million applicants cause O&G is hosed.

Just keep on drudging through man, something has to turn around at some point :smith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The EPA certainly seem dumb enough that they could've taken a year off then just say "Oh we magically fixed it" at this point.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This chat thread has gotten so bad I'm actually going to do work now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Maybe you GF's dad hates you because you are a giant pussy.

Are you still seriously having a go? Give it a rest mate.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I preferred to look on it as a tribute to 2001... But it was definitely heavily loving influenced.

That's pretty much the only way I could convince myself to like it. It's a fantastic love letter to 2001. But at the end of the day I'd just prefer to rewatch 2001.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Edit: Never mind I'm not joining this shitstorm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

CIS-E scum can also die.

And do.

Hey man. Totally never had a problem with it other than the fact that it idles at 2k rpm right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fart Pipe posted:

Have you ever done the injector o rings? Best thing I ever did to mine.

yeah when the 16v engine went in it got all new injectors and O rings, really didn't want to be dealing with that from day one. I'm thinking its an air/vacuum leak from that stupid gas tank vent system I had to rig up.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Coworker gets into work and immediately starts having an hour long phone call with her mother. She sits right beside the manager too, gently caress favoritism.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Siochain posted:

So BMW might be in trouble as well. Going to be interesting to see this develop:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bmw-disputes-report-its-x3-also-failed-emissions-test-1.3241472?cmp=rss

Not really surprising considering all the big three German automakers basically viewed US regulations as an afterthought in the 80s.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Launch control.

It actually gets off the line on gravel ridiculously well if you just revved it a couple hundred more than that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jamal posted:

I think they are meant to be fairly similar to stock. Possibly a little more damping force across the range so you can put a bit more spring on them. I'd say those or yellows or bilstein HDs if available. How much are you trying to spend and what year is it?

Bilstein HDs are honestly the best bang for your buck. I went from concussions being a legitimate concerns in TSD rallies at 30mph to running over washboard gravel roads through corners at 50mph no issue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So apparently in my drunken saturday stupor I thought it was a genius idea to bid $50 on a Sony Walkman with a broken belt drive on ebay :cripes:

I've literally got like 3 cassettes from the month that I had a tape player in my van, why I thought this was a good idea is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ever since I found out this stupid conference I have to attend allows me to expense $65 for dinner I've been absolutely gitty and yelling about "Conference Fever" through the office.

• Locked thread