Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just had a panic attack about an hour ago. I visited the medical coordinator here at work and she took my blood pressure, 142/114. :stare:

20 minutes later it was down to 132/92 which is a bit more normal for me, but it's still scary as poo poo. My last panic attack was in April (I keep a log).

Anybody else have panic attacks? Nothing seems to trigger them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Noise Complaint posted:

I do, and the dumbest poo poo will trigger them. The first one I had was so bad I went to emergency care because I thought I was having a heart attack. That was almost a year ago. Since then I've had them relatively often but never as bad as the first one.

I've had completely crazy stress filled days where I'm fine, but then a week later something as simple as calling to order food or having a hangover after a Friday night NEAI hangout will trigger them. The doctor gave me meds to control them but I have to watch myself with them being benzos and all.

I've gone to Medpoint (like an ER, but slightly less ER-y) at least three or four times over them in the past several years. I've had EKGs done, a heart sonogram done, chest X-rays, you name it... each time I know it's a panic attack, but it feels like I'm having a goddamn heart attack and it's scary and that only makes the panic attack worse.

Thankfully today I just went down and sat with the nice nurse we have here, and I was fine after awhile. But still. goddamn.

a friend suggested fish oil, I may look into that.

leica posted:

Sex tag and no sex?

Not for you, no.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I tried posted a post in the 'recommend me a car' thread in A/T, and it quickly got hijacked and I never got a response.

My little brother is an immature poo poo who sucks at driving. I've kept his Honda on the road for eight years and now the exhaust is making a funny noise and he refuses to drive it. He's driving my mom's Nissan Rogue to work.

They're giving him $4k to replace his Honda, and he wants a truck. It has to be "good in the winter" so I'm thinking 4WD + recommending snow tires, and it has to be "reliable." (Note, his Honda only left him stranded once, when the 7-year-old battery died).

He's getting a new vehicle like now, whether I think it's a smart or good idea or not.

I'm also in charge of finding it for him (and then selling his Honda).

I'm in northern Indiana, and there's a huge amount of used Rangers, F150s and Cherokees on craigslist. Anything else I should be looking for? I know a fair bit about Rangers and Cherokees, but what about like 2000-ish F-150s?

(Also, anybody want a 1998 Honda Accord for a grand? The body is in bad shape but mechanically it's in good shape, brand new battery alternator and tires... will need a timing belt done pretty soon though.)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

No, I was curious why it's named Jim Crow.

Check out the safety ratings on iihs.org, especially for a 2000 F-150 :v:

Oh, I'm fully aware of that issue. He also pretty much never gets up to any kind of speed because he hates highways, so I'm less worried about that.

Noise Complaint posted:

He'd probably be best off with a Vulcan Ranger or a pre-2000 XJ, but as far as F-150's go, a 2v 4.6 F-150 would be a pretty decent truck. Watch for oil leaks, noisy timing chain, check the cab corners, rockers, body mounts, and bed. The 4.6 will go forever, the transmissions are halfway decent, and the manual transfer cases are solid as well. Parts are incredibly loving cheap for F-series trucks as Ford sold a metric fuckton of these. Stay away from the 5.4 if you're not familiar with the spark plug issues and don't want to deal with it, but the earlier 2v 5.4's are halfway decent, especially the 99's with the forged cranks, PI heads, and metal intake manifolds.

Another excellent option would be a 5.3 GM truck.

What happened in 2000 to the Cherokee? My old job had a 2000 classic model, it seemed great.

Which years did GM have the 5.3? I hate GM and pay them no attention but I do know their trucks are decent.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Ranger was going to be my first suggestion otherwise a Nissan hardbody or whatever is pretty drat indestructible as well. 2wd with actual snow tires would do just fine if he isn't a complete gently caress up.

By hardbody do you mean Frontier or XTerra? Either might be good for him. Haven't thought about those.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 1, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Gonna take a look at this Jeep for my brother after work. His budget is quite a bit higher ($4k) but for a reliable daily driver with 4WD and can haul things, I think it's pretty slick.

I'm also hoping to hear back on this Subaru but the mileage has him scared.

edit: what do you guys know about Nissan Frontiers?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 2, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Looked at a couple of vehicles for my brother yesterday:

'98 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 146k miles, $2k. Very much a $2k Jeep. Some rust but not bad, A/C didn't work, very good condition tires though and the engine ran strong. Drove straight and seemed like it'd be a decent vehicle, save for the fuel economy of course. 4WD worked near as I could tell.

'99 F-150 4x4, $3500. My brother loved this truck. It was pretty big, 4.6L V8, Lariat. Had a locking toolbox in the back and a snap-on tonneau cover. Had a loving CB also. A/C was weak, drove bumpy but it may have been the tires. Pretty gnarly rust underneath. The frame itself wasn't bad, but out at the egde of the cab it was awful. The engine had a hole in the exhaust manifold (according to the seller) and the engine was surging at idle. Surged while we drove it too, seller said he was quoted $800 to fix. My brother liked the idea of using it for landscaping though.

I'm still trying to figure out what the gently caress his budget/timing is, and what he wants versus what he needs, but it was fun checking stuff out at least. I kinda want that Cherokee for a winter beater.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
oh man I'm tempted

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Non turbo baja? what's the loving point?

To be king of the roads in the winter, of course!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
In the continuing search for a vehicle for my brother, what's the deal with early 2000s XTerras, like this one?

I'm noticing Explorers of that vintage are dirt cheap, too. Like, $3k for a clean one with no rust, 4WD and everything supposedly mechanically sound, and 120k miles.

There's a 2008 Ranger right by where I work that I checked out. Only 62k miles, 4WD, supercab, very clean... but a hilariously high $14,500 price.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My brother wants to look at -08 vintage GMC Envoys, how bad of an idea is that? If he looks at one, what do we need to look out for?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My dad is 62, been smoking since he was 13, and has developed a nasty cough. He refuses to get a chest X-ray. What are the odds he has lung cancer?

Pretty sure that's triggering my soul-crushing depression.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So the Trailblazer my brother was looking at has debris and/or moisture on the transmission dipstick. He should run, yes?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
In the ongoing adventures of my brother's truck/SUV search, he bought an '06 Trailblazer last night.

A family friend works at a local dealer, and on their Toyota lot they had this Trailblazer. 155k miles. They put about two grand into it (I saw the paperwork) - brand new tires, a wheel bearing, tie rods, serp belt, rear brakes, oil. Transmission fluid and coolant both looked good. Got it for $5700 which I think is a pretty good deal. I guess the dealer only made $200 on it. I hate GM but this seemed alright and he loves it so :shrug:

Other than the usual scratches and dings, the only thing wrong with it that I could find is that the blower cuts out at 4 & 5. Anybody know how easy it is to replace the blower resistor in these?

Also, anybody want a beat-to-hell but mechanically sound '98 Honda Accord (his old car) for a thousand bucks?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zundfolge posted:

No clue about the blower resistor but those aren't terrible trucks. We have a few at my office for cell site testing and while the interior is typical GM they drive pretty well, the I6 is a decent engine, and they seem to hold up to the usual fleet-vehicle abuse my coworkers subject them to. I think the only component you really have to watch out for is the bizarro electronic fan clutch.

What's the deal with the fan clutch? I'm not familiar at all with these things but I'll likely be working on it for him and am trying to gather as much information as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

I actually kinda like the Atlas 4200. Inline 6, makes high 200s horsepower wise, can be mated to an NV3550 or AX15/R150 series/MA5/AR5 using Colorado I5 parts, etc.

I'd been trying to find out if it was better/worse than the old 4.3L V6, which I understand is nigh indestructible. It's a moot point now anyway but I'm curious as to thoughts on the matter.

• Locked thread