Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Welp whoever put the head on this old motor stripped two of the god drat head bolts. How the gently caress do you strip a triple square?

Now I get to figure out how the gently caress to get them out.

And also what cams are in it, cause they don't have stock markings.

Any of you VW guys have random poo poo laying around? Trying to source an airbox and an alternator/ps pump bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just found that the blown 16v motor in the GTI is cammed. Now to figure out WHAT cams. 99% they're from Techtonics.

All that said, any ideas on removing stripped triple square bolts from the head? Looks like they torqued it with a loving hex head.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

How do you strip a triple square? Unless your answer is "intentionally"

Like I said, I'm guessing they torqued it down with either hex or torx heads. All of the bolts were a bit chewed up, but these two are basically circles.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

Find a random junk bolt that fits in the hole snugly, weld it down. Remove bolt. This does two things for you, the heat softens the metal and will let the preload drop to almost zero, meaning it requires bygway less torque to break free, and also puts a new head on it so you can get a wrench on.

Worth a shot if I can get to a welder.

Only issue is I worry about loving up the cylinder head itself. My other idea is to dremel a slot into the cap and then use pry bar to spin it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kastein posted:

That probably won't work.

Just cover everything except the area to be welded in anti spatter spray and/or foil tape or bits of scrap sheetmetal to keep spatter off of it.

It'll have to wait till Monday if I can't get it out before then, in that case. I'll have to take the full block/head in to work.

Shittiest part is they were juuuuuust starting to break loose before they stripped completely.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Noise Complaint posted:

Don't you get a month off for every couple you work? :v:

30 days paid a year baby.

Granted I'm also usually gone for 9 months a year :v: two more loving years and I'll be in a nice civilian job, hating life for the same reasons the rest of you do.

Unless I let people talk me into staying in. I've been in the navy for 7 years, made E6 at 5 years, so I could technically ride out the next thirteen and retire at age 41 and get a paycheck for life. But gently caress me this poo poo is dumb as gently caress and I'm tired of the politics of it.

Oh you want a good eval? Better spend all of your off time and $100+ a month on volunteer poo poo! Plus god loving drat am I tired of running.

Edit: also the GTI I bought has techtonics tuning 268 cams in it. My machinist buddy also broke an ez out off in one of the stripped head bolts, sooooo who loving knows what now.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 3, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit ^^^he's not lying. It's HARD to get out. Even when you loving hate it, it's comfortable. You know what it is. I don't know a single person (that isn't recognizably batshit within five minutes) who is retired or near retirement who doesn't say the same poo poo.

leica posted:

Haha. I was slightly tempted by the "16 more years and you can retire and get that sweet pay!"

Glad I said gently caress that, I couldn't imagine still being in the military, I still have nightmares about it.

I have nightmares about it and I'm still in. Honestly the first time I've been happy in the past 5 years (my first two were loving awesome, honestly) is now they I have a project car again. It pisses me off non stop, but it doesn't give me crippling anxiety or make me wish I was loving dead like going to work every day does.

And Ken, I know. But he offered and I was bored so I agreed. But now I get to drive it in to work on Monday and try to weld it. But the biggest fun will be getting it in the back of the car by myself.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh my god.

My wife forgot to clean the cat poo poo houses last night. So she's standing there talking to me a few minutes ago, and one of the cats walks into her line of sight, about five feet away.

He turns, stared at her, and then drops a massive loving deuce. Like human sized. He glares, twitches his tail, then walks away still staring at her.

I'm loving dying.

Edit: she's cleaning them now, he's following her and making a loud rear end scratchy meow noise every time she talks. I'm light headed and crying.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 4, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Waiting on the 20k service for the Escape to be done.

There's a suuuuuuper religious couple in the waiting area, the poo poo about that clerk in KY came on the TV and he started muttering about "filthy atheists" in the same manner that Draco Malfoy muttered about mudbloods.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Religious people left in a shuttle before I could say anything.

That said, I love warranties. 20k service for free, and tire with a nail in it being replaced gratis.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Bought License to Ill on vinyl for two bucks earlier. Day is made.

And also a backstreet boys 45, cause that poo poo is hilarious. Oh, and Warrant - Sure Feels good to me.

I love cheap, cheesy vinyl.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

I met Warrant when I was stationed in Japan, partied with them all night and Jani Lane paid for all the drinks. I was sad when I heard he died, he was a cool guy :smith:

You really are old.

But that sounds loving awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Showed my wife the trailer to Turbo Kid. Going tomorrow if I can find tickets :D

Also going to a big euro show/swap meet on Sunday.

I have a feeling this weekend is gonna come back on me big when she finds something :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I love Genesis owners.

They're either 50+, or the same assholes who drive bro trucks. No in between.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mooseykins posted:

drat. Why don't i have friends like that..?

You're British and drive a van.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mooseykins posted:

I knew there was a reason.

:(

Move to the states. The accent alone will get you friends like that.

Still gotta ditch the van though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Not if he looks anything like his avatar :v:

I didn't say they'd be ATTRACTIVE friends like that

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

John Wick was loving awesome, and they really need to develop it into a full franchise. Not using cuts every half second is the best film technique ever (gently caress you modern action movies).

Best line of the whole movie is the simple "Oh." Nice mix of "OH poo poo!" and utter dread rolled into one word.

I want to watch that movie so bad,because I hear nothing but good.

But the dog dies, and I'm a giant loving baby, so I still haven't.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ilkhan posted:

The dog dying is sad. You'll get over it.

I can't watch Road Warrior as an adult and Jurassic Bark turns me into an infant. Not as bad as those?

Also, nailed my hand twice in twenty minutes yesterday with a 3lb hammer at full swing. Pretty sure I have a couple fractures but eh gently caress it, hand still works.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, I just got the last stripped bolt out of the GTIs head.

And I did it with a dremel. After dude broke the loving ez out and drilling no longer worked, I was kind of out of options. On a whim, I tried a dremel grinding bit. It worked, but it was slow. About four hours, total, but today it came out.

I dremeled all the way down inside the god drat head of that bolt, and it finally came off. What I forgot about was just how much loving pressure would be on it. I was grinding away, listening to a podcast...And then it sounded like a loving gun went off as the head of that bolt flew the gently caress off. Thankfully it hit the dremel and bounced back down, otherwise it would have been my face.

gently caress yes. Now I can start transferring poo poo to the other block, and start reassembling this car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MrChips posted:

Unlike English soccer fans, American football fans don't need to be locked up in cages in the stands like zoo animals.

I'm sorry you don't understand what's going on here. Just a sec, lemme translate this to your native language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3cD1Nd302k

I dunno dude, Philly had jail cells in their old stadium.

Basically all sports fans suck.

As an aside, apparently this engine block has Wiseco pistons in it. That coupled with the aftermarket cams has me wondering if this head is also built. I should start a thread at some point, if I took enough drat pictures.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ferremit posted:

I always wondered why things in a dystopian future where fuel was more scarce than bullets people didnt run turbodiesels everywhere. Same torque as a big V8, but economy instead of thirst.

Because guzzoline will make a diesel go big boom

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

You Am I posted:

NIce. I'll be sticking with my 6, but would be interested in trying the Force Touch stuff

Unless it chokes people that name is horse poo poo.

Like most Apple products.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

Sportsball chat for a sec, anyone else watching the Michigan State / Oregon game? It's going well :getin:

Nowhere near as amusing as OU/Tenn.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MustardFacial posted:

Don't you drive a Hyundai?

The bro edition one.

Just picked up a nice 3lb tri tip and got it coated in salt to cook later...can't loving wait. poo poo is gonna be delicious.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ozmiander posted:

AI: Come for the burnouts, stay because you've turned into a high school girl on her period.

I think he started as one, to be fair.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit^^^yeah, but we've already established that you know literally all of the worst people. You're friends with SAC too, aren't you? It would fit

Slow is Fast posted:

The secret is to call it dungeons and dragons. It's dungeons and dragons for sports fans. That's it. There are sheets of numbers, a dungeon master league leader, etc etc etc.

I enjoy both.

Who gives a poo poo? It's a fun distraction for a few months of the year.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

QuarkMartial posted:

Holy... That's amazing.

Found the rev limiter in my wife's Kia Friday night. Partly on purpose, partly because pulling down to shift up is stupid. I'm pretty sure it auto shifted into second anyway.

Pulling down or pulling back?

Cause pulling back is the only way to shift up in a sequential, imo.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I hate hitting the point with a project where money is what holds you back.

Tomorrow is ordering a full gasket and head bolt set. After that it should run...but it still needs shifter bushings, which is a 200 dollar kit to remove all doubt that it will work in the future.

So maybe by Halloween? Oh plus I get to remove a broken bolt out of the head. The coolant T had one bolt that was torqued to gently caress-me lb/ft, one that was hand right and one that sheared the head as soon as pressure was applied to it. And one bolt for the intake runner needs replaced, as it was pre stripped and I had to hammer a torx bit in to get it out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

I loving love you. I'll email you tomorrow when I get to work.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Icles

Fart pipe, is your Rocco mk1 or 2? Should be the right kit as long as it's a mk2, I think.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Holy poo poo, Sunday night game delivered.

No poo poo.

Eli hosed me hard in fantasy, but the Cowboys won so I'm still happy overall. But only because Jason loving Witten.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

Emailed you dude.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

If you dont already know then you really dont want to.

Pretty much this. It makes my loving head hurt looking at it.

Finally texted you back, work got loving crazy at the end of the day.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

I got lucky with my Rocco. It was previously owned by two engineers that fixed any little problem it had including fresh motor mounts and shift linkage right before I bought it. He even got a real leather shift boot to replace the lovely pleather one that comes stock.

Yeah,not this loving thing. I'll take some pictures later and show what they thought making a racecar entailed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

blk posted:

I'm thinking of getting some cowboy boots but wonder how they are for driving, esp with a third pedal. Anyone chime in?

Echoing, but just get them broken in and it's fine.

Edit: I grew up wearing almost nothing but, and still have a couple pair. The first month or so will be miserable, then they feel like slippers.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 15, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

:stare:

The video just convinced me to blow $160. I've been fiddling with the gear linkage ever since I've got that car.

Well, his kit won't fit my car :(

The mk2 Rocco is still on the a1 frame, so that kit won't help me.

That said, I emailed them at 1930 their time and had a response in less than ten minutes. So, I will likely be being from them with zero hesitation soon.

Edit: also posted two pictures from this fucker in the mechanical failures thread :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

1500quidporsche posted:

The link to that kit is for the a1 chassis. Legit I'll take Fartpipe's for whatever he wants for it but really it should work on your car.

Speaking of Scirocco magic, apparently I figured out why its chewed through two pairs of tires in three months. Raising it to stock height has dramatically changed its toe. :allears:

Yeah, the USRT guys say it won't fit. Apparently the Heim joints are different lengths as are the rods.

Speaking of USRT however, they've now emailed me like four times with recommendations and advice, and I've yet to even buy from them yet. So, customer service A+ so far.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Yep, rained in socal :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Locator posted:

drat, that's worse than Phoenix when it rains!

It was bonkers. At one point we went out and looked at I5 (runs next to where I work) and could see four wrecks within half a mile.

• Locked thread