Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

I don't really know much about these other labour candidates beside Corbyn but they seem reasonable enough centre-leftists beside Liz Kendall. If you went by this thread I was expecting to find every non-Jeremy somewhere right of Hitler.

They were much worse at the beginning of the contest before they realised the labour membership are left wing and like left wing things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

im always bemused by people making speeches about the party whilst out of the country

E: Chuka is positioning himself to be the united labour candidate for 2020, but if he does get in he'll chase neoliberalism as standard - this might be the new new labour tactic - theyve realised if they are seen to be screwing with/playing politics with corbyn everyone will hate them so they need someone who is above all that/not connected to it to eventually run in the leadership election if they do mange to oust him

Phoon fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 2, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

hes got five years to kill off everyone who knows his secret

The press loving love him though, they always refer to him as a moderniser which is odd since he seems to be mostly advocating the status quo

In that piece he even talks about corbyn raising taxes on small business like "how outrageous that he wants to do this" but corbyn has talked repeatedly about protecting small businesses (with possible tax breaks, possible rent controls on smaller commercial/retail properties etc)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its a very common worldview and its encouraged by the rich and right wingers at every opportunity. its also one of the major themes of ragged trousered philanthropists

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

How so?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

As a child I only read books with wizards

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And what books did the wizards read with you?

I hope there is a charity somewhere where wizards teach disadvantaged children to read

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

eu could allocate extra refugees to places with an offer of bonus funding

e: and use the bonus funding to make those places nicer for both refugees and residents

Phoon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 2, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Amish can use trains but they have to pretend like they accidentally got on it and they dont understand how its moving

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

My mortgage is a lot less than the rent on that shed

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I travel every day by train

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

cant wait for this to be on huge screens in all our cities

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Abott is nice but shes no good at interviews, at the peoples assembly march she was also the least inspiring i thought

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Prince John posted:

It would be interesting to see how it varies over time. I was in school just past the turn of the millennium so maybe things are done differently these days.

Edit: To change the subject completely, there's an interesting article about the government's "hidden art" collection.

The Taxpayer's Alliance has highlighted that government and local authorities own £3.5bn worth of art, but only 3% is on public display.

It looks like the Government Art Collection has a majority of pieces on display, so presumably it's mostly local authorities that are dragging the average down to such a low level.

Most local government owned museums just don't have the space to display most of their art, I'm checking out the BMAG collections centre next weekend and by all accounts it is huge. Seems to me like the solution is to open more museums but knowing the taxpayers alliance what they want is for the government to sell the art to them

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Don't worry, they made it better. It's now named after a cat food. (I am not making that up.)

http://www.iamschool.co.uk/good-news-iams/

jesus christ

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

george orwell was a world famous satirist of course he should have things named after him

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Prince John posted:

This justifies the Taxpayer's Alliance raising the issue though. Is it moral for local councils to accrue hordes of artwork that they know they don't have sufficient display space for? Should it even be in the function of a local council to have an art collection?

If a council is displaying 1% of its art and rotates its museum displays every, say, 2 years, then it would take 200 years for the public to view its collection. That seems completely excessive a collection - presumably they have more than enough bequests to fill their museums without actually purchasing more art that they won't show. They're also ignoring the wishes of the bequeathers. With the percentages being talked about, they could sell their purchased art to open more museums to show the bequethed art.

Failing that, if they're not going to sell some of it, then they should loan the unused pieces out around the world to generate an income to offset cuts to local services.

Most of the art will be quite low value, importance and unheard of its just they have a very large volume of it

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Miftan posted:

Hi UKMT! I know bookchat was in the last thread but I was wondering if any of those books recommended are good for someone who is already heavily invested in the Capitalism Bad camp but has no understanding of economics to save their life. I was thinking of starting with Piketty but I thought i'd get your opinion first and you guys seem to understand that topic quite well.

Stiglitz is easy to read though more focused on reforming capitalism than replacing it

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The metro is owned by the mail

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Great post, brilliant read. I can't help but look at bits of it and think that video games "journalism" was just a horrifying preview of what "proper" news would turn into later.

what

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

thats what video game press has always been though, same as all hobby press, theres no process of dismantling the once effective old system like we're seeing with journalism - i suppose you could say a press as compliant as a hobby press is the end goal of the very wealthy but it just seems a weird parallel to draw

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

stonehenge isnt a real henge according to the archaeological definition which just proves whoever wrote that definition was a contrary motherfucker

E: excerpt from my stand up set about henges

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think this week the Tories will get their message together on the refugee crisis and we'll see

1. A relatively small increase in refugees to be accepted trumpeted as a great humanitarian response
2. Lots of tories talking about taking refugees isn't solving the problem and suggesting bombing syria more asap
3. Using the focus on terrorism and Syria to push further erosion of civil liberties, the encryption ban etc

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

So, it looks like this is going to hit 100,000 signatures. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477 Hang those that bum the poppy etc.

Hopefully it will get about as serious a response as the cannabis one did, but that just hammers home that we're reliant on a bad system to stop things like this progressing.

this is extremely inaccurate :argh:

E: ^^ no its a waste of time/fig leaf, theres no way to challenge a government response even if it completely ignores the actual text of the petition (see cannabis one) and they are only committed to "considering" a debate on a subject

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Corbyn asked about progress toward an international political agreement on syria and cameron basically called him a terrorist in response

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I knew it

E: you dutch gently caress

Phoon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 7, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think some tory strategists must have decided corbyn is a real danger, especially with public sentiment seeming to turn somewhat on refugees - they're now attempting to whip up as much "bomb syria" sentiment (and hoorays for bombings that happen) as possible so they can use it to attack corbyn as weak/an appeaser if he wins, a classic strategy for right wingers opposing popular lefties

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Don't have timestamp read it on the guardian politics live feed

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It doesn't even make sense he asks about an international summit on syria and cameron responds by accusing him of being friends with hezbollah and hamas

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It is clear that he's an Islamic terrorist just look at his beard

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I suspect this panorama will be awful but I just saw a woman in a lil sebastian t shirt

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This is incredible they're massively playing up the sinister unions angle

e: "unfashionable causes" cuts to the thing about his clothes, no mention of apartheid

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 7, 2015

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Whenever they show len mcluskey or any unions they play sinister music

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its actually incredible, days before the vote, focused entirely on one candidate, only interviews young people and union people on the pro-corbyn side and constantly accuses them of naivety, interviews prominent new labour figures and doesn't ask them any questions about their own position

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Labour have finally expelled a tory from the party

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That 50% is from a week ago though.

I don't think Jeremy will win tbh, I think Cooper or Burnham will scrape through with 51% after everyone else is eliminated, declare themselves the unity candidate and then go back to ignoring the left entirely, Blair will write a piece saying that leftists now must do as democracy says and fall in line, some lefties will stay in the party and try to make a difference but the rest will believe the whole thing was rigged (either underhandedly via purging or just as a result of disgustingly biased media) and leave or stick around and just stop bothering to be involved

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The argument you should do what the majority wants won't work in this instance specifically because of how this campaign has played out, rightly or wrongly the establishment of the party have done everything they can to stop corbyn and the corbyn supporters are aware of this - people have to believe the democratic contest was fair and reasonable if you expect them to accept the result

Whereas if corbyn wins he's won despite open bias from the media and condemnation from the party (of course the non-corbyn will claim that it was trot entryism)

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

scan and email them to those smug fuckers

E: the letters

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Khaaaaaaan

E: he seems alright from what I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

polly toynbee is the commentariat person i hate most i think

E: most of them just float alongside society being annoying but toynbee actively helped thatcher get elected by splitting the vote in a labour seat and now she wont loving shut up about division in the party as if its the fault of the leftists and not the people threatening division

Phoon fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread