Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Another month dead and gone, but US Politics remains! Welcome to the USPOL thread for September 2015! The year ain’t over yet, and with Iran, the budget, debt ceilings, and the never-ending Republican circus, you can be sure that the best is yet to come!

114th Congress Bingo Card

The 114th Congress was off last month, so I’m afraid this section is legally required to be empty.

Well, okay. Fine. I can at least give you a heads-up on what to expect coming up, at least. (Something the NYT has already sorta cobbled together, but I’ll reiterate.

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

The House Select Committee on Benghazi continues to mine for gold, as the e-mail scandal continues to weigh on Hillary. Is she guilty of wrongdoing? Probably not. But it smells bad anyway, so, naturally, you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
There was a South thread, too, but it's been dead since last July.

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

By the by, I don't have a clue what's the deal with my avatar. Some guy got pissy about gay marriage or something when the ruling came out and failed to make a good red text avatar apparently. :iiam:

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

First post!

So many more of Clinton's emails just got released, and some of them appear to have been slightly censored/considered confidential. How hosed are her chances now?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Grouchio posted:

First post!

So many more of Clinton's emails just got released, and some of them appear to have been slightly censored/considered confidential. How hosed are her chances now?

Probably not very. Most people don't really seem to care about the email thing, and I don't see it picking up steam now. I especially don't see it picking up steam among non-R voters.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I bought a Bernie bumper sticker, and now I get these awful campaign emails. I'm kind of disappointed they're running a more or less normal campaign.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

First post!

Some stuff wasn't classified at the time it was sent, but is now. It's only a problem if it was classified at the time it was sent.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Can we go back to bread chat for a second because:

My Imaginary GF posted:

change of opinion, most american bread ethiopian sourbread

second most american bread naan

Naan is awesome, especially if you throw some brisket or tri-tip and cheese on it. It's my go-to post BBQ sandwich bread.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The only people who care about Clinton's email are the people who make the bad impact font graphics on facebook with fake ironic phrases.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The only people who care about Clinton's email are the people who make the bad impact font graphics on facebook with fake ironic phrases.

Also, I don't think that many of those were in any way inclined to vote Clinton in the first place.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Biden already knows he's running 'cause Clinton goofed. Here's hoping he doesn't announce for as long as possible :cheers:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
“They Don't Give a drat About Governing:” Conservative Media's Influence on the Republican Party written by Jackie Calmes and published by Harvard's Shorenstein Center should be added to the OP.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Grouchio posted:

First post!

If it can be proven that she sent or received at the time classified emails then it's possible she'll get charges brought against her. I think the last few secretaries of state have used private email (at least Powell did). These Clinton fishing expeditions are just like the 90s all over again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Oh boy, new thread.

Pope Francis just made a significant concession over abortion, one that might inflame more conservative Catholics in the United States, especially as the Planned Parenthood videos continue to be released. In preparation for the Grand Jubilee on 8 December, women who previously had abortions will be allowed to seek confessions from their local priests and get un-excommunicated.

It's obviously not changing doctrine but it softens the Church's stance and allows a large number of women, who might have previously been expelled from their parishes, the ability to reintegrate into their religious community.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 1, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Mitt Romney posted:

If it can be proven that she sent or received at the time classified emails then it's possible she'll get charges brought against her. I think the last few secretaries of state have used private email (at least Powell did). These Clinton fishing expeditions are just like the 90s all over again.

This is a good rundown of how things currently stand.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 233 days!
In a rare display of lucidity at the tail end of the August thread, MIGF described Trump as concern trolling the GOP. I'm not sure that Trump is capable of irony, but it does explain how much fun he is to watch in action :getin:

Meanwhile, concern trolls are busy taking all the fun out of giving Hillary poo poo from the left. lovely facebook-level memes are at an all-time high. Lowtax remains silent on the issue of ongoing calls for a wall around GBS. Bernie Sanders remains sweet as all hell.

Ben Carson probably won't be the GOP nominee, but remains front runner in the race to replace a disgraced Bill Cosby as America's Black Friend :unsmith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

QuoProQuid posted:

Oh boy, new thread.

Pope Francis just made a significant concession over abortion, one that might inflame more conservative Catholics in the United States, especially as the Planned Parenthood videos continue to be released. In preparation for the Grand Jubilee on 8 December, women who previously had abortions will be allowed to seek confessions from their local priests and get un-excommunicated.

It's obviously not changing doctrine but it softens the Church's stance and allows a large number of women, who might have previously been expelled from their parishes, the ability to reintegrate into their religious community.

Wonder why old Marco will spin this since he ignores the pope when it comes to global warming.

Pope Francis remains best pope.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Elana Kagan has made her decision... now let her enforce it... against God!

quote:

8:20 a.m.

A county clerk in Kentucky who is continuing to deny marriage licenses to gay couples says she's doing so "under God's authority."

Rowan County clerk Kim Davis emerged from her office Tuesday morning after some couples were denied the licenses. She asked David Moore and David Ermold, who've been rejected four times, to leave. They refused, surrounded by reporters and cameras.

Ermold said: "We're not leaving until we have a license."

Davis responded: "Then you're going to have a long day."

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
At this point they should just shoot the bitch and get it over with. :toughguy:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I assume there are impeachment proceedings for elected county officials in Kentucky, so why hasn't anyone just tried to remove this woman from office?

If the county doesn't act, what can the state do to force this woman to issue the licenses?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Klaus88 posted:

The next step is being held in contempt of court and punishments applied. Put on your earphones now to be prepared for the cries of religious persecution.

QuoProQuid posted:

I assume there are impeachment proceedings for elected county officials in Kentucky, so why hasn't anyone just tried to remove this woman from office?

The legislature is on her side.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Klaus88 posted:

This brings us too close to gunchat for my tastes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

QuoProQuid posted:

If the county doesn't act, what can the state do to force this woman to issue the licenses?

The ACLU is filing suit asking for her to be held in contempt.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you think that people are getting paid too much to not do their job that they were elected for?

Like if u agree

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wonder how much money she is making from whack jobs that want to "take a stand" against the ruling. There's probably already a kick starter I would imagine, since she's such an poor, oppressed person being told by mean old Obama she can't be a good Christian.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just spread a rumor that she's Muslim and make her wear a Sikh turban, one of the people in that shithole state will sort it out

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm curious just how far she's going to go. The tide seems to have turned against her, and she just looks like a fool.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
So remember a few months back when Ted Cruz was scaring little kids in his speeches? Well apparently someone thought it was a good idea to double down. Before you click, guess the state the speaker comes from!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

that won't get them a marriage license any faster

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cabbit posted:

Can we go back to bread chat for a second because:

Naan is awesome, especially if you throw some brisket or tri-tip and cheese on it. It's my go-to post BBQ sandwich bread.

Third most American bread, my challah

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

QuoProQuid posted:

Oh boy, new thread.

Are Ex-Coms even still A Thing in 2015?

I thought that practice died out decades ago

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Aspergeoisie posted:

Biden already knows he's running 'cause Clinton goofed. Here's hoping he doesn't announce for as long as possible :cheers:

Here's hoping Biden still has enough clout to get Clinton brought up on her illegal activities to open his lane for the nomination :cheers:

Of course, Clinton sees herself as under seige from all sides. Do we really want another President with a bunker mentality?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DOOP posted:

I think exorcisms are still going on.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phone posted:

I think exorcisms are still going on.

Exorcisms and excommunications are big in Latin America and Africa, from what I hear.

Once again, this Pope is ignoring the needs of the developed world for justice, in order to focus on the symbolic handouts to rights in the developing world. Get back to me when Francis reforms the Vatican's financial support of paedophiles.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I think general the thought is 'If you commit a major sin, you're automatically excommunicated until you are properly confessed for it.' So a murderer who never repented or confessed would be technically excommunicated.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

Exorcisms and excommunications are big in Latin America and Africa, from what I hear.

Once again, this Pope is ignoring the needs of the developed world for justice, in order to focus on the symbolic handouts to rights in the developing world. Get back to me when Francis reforms the Vatican's financial support of paedophiles.

You're slipping.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He meant pædophiles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DOOP posted:

He excommunicated the mafia a little while back.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Larch posted:

You're slipping.

There's actually a pretty great recent frontline episode on this issue:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secrets-of-the-vatican/

Sure, Francis is tackling the perception of abuse in rich nations. What is the pope doing to recognize the widespread abuses of the catholic church in the developing world? Jack diddly squat, because he can get away with progressive rhetoric. He's like Bernie Sanders: only talking about money, and not about the root causes.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The man's the best pope in living memory. Possibly of all time.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Talmonis posted:

Pope Francis is :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

Urban II handled the rise of ISIL in a much more responsive manner than the Obama administration.

• Locked thread