Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sadly this is looking like just a delay of the inevitable and not something that will in let him prove his innocence. :smith:

How the hell did a jury agree to the death penalty in a case where the evidence against a person was the word of the actually murderer?

Mind, a social media campaign can get pretty large in a month. Start a petition, write on progressive, anti-death penalty websites, maybe bring this injustice to light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Mind, a social media campaign can get pretty large in a month. Start a petition, write on progressive, anti-death penalty websites, maybe bring this injustice to light.

This case has already had national interest. Sister Helen Prejean has been aggressively getting the world out and some big names (Richard Branson, Susan Sarandon) have raised awareness of it. Mary Fallin doesn't give a poo poo; she just wants to satisfy her blood god.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Sadly this is looking like just a delay of the inevitable and not something that will in let him prove his innocence. :smith:

How the hell did a jury agree to the death penalty in a case where the evidence against a person was the word of the actually murderer?

Just to be clear (and I'm not saying you don't understand this, but others don't seem to) - because he was convicted of murder by hire and the person testifying was the person he allegedly hired to do it.

It's dumb, but it's not like it was a case of "guy A actually did it but testified that guy B did it." Guy A did it and testified that he did it because Glossip told him to.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I apologize for summoning fishmech, but its because juries are bad and trial by jury is dumb.
Juries are bad, but I'm not sure that replacing "trial by jury" with "trial by elected judge" would be much of an improvement.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
CNBC put out their criteria for the next GOP debate, and Rand Paul and Huckabee are in trouble.

Also PPP and USA Today/Suffolk aren't allowed to tamper with the results this time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

g0del posted:

Juries are bad, but I'm not sure that replacing "trial by jury" with "trial by elected judge" would be much of an improvement.

My ideal solution would be professional jurors; people with legal training who who observe the case while being left unidentified to either party or the presiding judge(s).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kalman posted:

Just to be clear (and I'm not saying you don't understand this, but others don't seem to) - because he was convicted of murder by hire and the person testifying was the person he allegedly hired to do it.

It's dumb, but it's not like it was a case of "guy A actually did it but testified that guy B did it." Guy A did it and testified that he did it because Glossip told him to.

I'm aware, and it's still only the word of a murderer and nothing else.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
The plebs won't fear the justice system if innocents arent executed once in a while. :colbert:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

What the gently caress do you think this is feudal Japan? Are we weighting testimony's truth based on social standing?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What the gently caress do you think this is feudal Japan? Are we weighting testimony's truth based on social standing?

The state took the death penalty off the table for the murderer in exchange for his testimony. His testimony was self serving.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

My ideal solution would be professional jurors; people with legal training who who observe the case while being left unidentified to either party or the presiding judge(s).

Yea that'll end well, a group of people sole selected from the people well off enough to have 'legal training' with no oversight (who the hell even selects them if the parties and judge get no say) not even having to acknowledge the person they're judging.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fool_of_sound posted:

That's exactly what the Founders were trying to prevent, and not in a "hurf durf slaveowning aristocracy" sense either.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Did jury trials in England back in the day allow commoners to serve on juries? The Framers didn't think the average slob on the street should be able to vote, I don't think they thought he should be able to serve as a juror either

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How can one person's testimony, especially testimony received in return for a commuted sentence, ever push one "beyond a reasonable doubt"? How is there not reasonable doubt there?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea that'll end well, a group of people sole selected from the people well off enough to have 'legal training' with no oversight (who the hell even selects them if the parties and judge get no say) not even having to acknowledge the person they're judging.

I guess you didn't notice the word 'professional'? By 'professional' I meant that they're hired and trained by a government agency. For selection, randomize it and don't let the court know exactly who's present.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fool_of_sound posted:

I guess you didn't notice the word 'professional'? By 'professional' I meant that they're hired and trained by a government agency. For selection, randomize it and don't let the court know exactly who's present.

Right, again, you're talking about people well off enough to have the education and free time and poo poo to do the training required as well as get into whatever training program to begin with. We're talking about replacing a not perfect but fairly broad (barring cases of cartoonish bullshit of course) reaching system with one that's literally only for the middle class and higher.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

That's exactly what the Founders were trying to prevent, and not in a "hurf durf slaveowning aristocracy" sense either.

Got a quote on that one? Otherwise, I'm not sure I buy that the founding fathers meant 'peers' in any sense other than 'wealthy enough to take the day off, come into town, and judge people'.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

The state took the death penalty off the table for the murderer in exchange for his testimony. His testimony was self serving.

Why do you assume the jury got to know this fact?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

fool_of_sound posted:

Got a quote on that one? Otherwise, I'm not sure I buy that the founding fathers meant 'peers' in any sense other than 'wealthy enough to take the day off, come into town, and judge people'.

And what happens once that finite group of professional, trained jurors gets corrupted or threatened?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Kalman posted:

And if you read the case files, Glossip did some really dumb stuff at the beginning of the investigation and didn't tell the truth about Sneed right out of the gates. Still, there's not nearly enough evidence to say this is a good DP case (not that any really are).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right, again, you're talking about people well off enough to have the education and free time and poo poo to do the training required as well as get into whatever training program to begin with. We're talking about replacing a not perfect but fairly broad (barring cases of cartoonish bullshit of course) reaching system with one that's literally only for the middle class and higher.

You don't get to bar cases of cartoonish bullshit when that describes basically every high-profile murder case in the USA (and probably far more cases where the details simply aren't readily available).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Why do you assume the jury got to know this fact?

I don't, but it was known during his many appeals, at least according to the article posted further up.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

Yeah, the idea was basically a sort of argumentum ad um... not-authoritarium. They thought if basically a group of hicks who can't understand how to poo poo and miss their feet could understand the state's complicated case, it'd be evident that the defendant was really guilty - additionally they thought this would force the state to speak in such a way that the defendant could understand the entire case being brought against her. Lawyers speaking to trained jurors would get very buddy buddy and be able to speak above the accused.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I apologize for summoning fishmech, but its because juries are bad and trial by jury is dumb.

Could you expand on this? I get criticisms about the specific way we do trial by jury (juror pay, juror selection, etc), but I've never seen someone say that trial by jury itself is bad before.

edit: this is what I get for not refreshing the page

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 1, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Spite posted:

And what happens once that finite group of professional, trained jurors gets corrupted or threatened?

What happens when Darren Wilson gets a 75% white jury in a 67% black city? Jury selection is already highly corrupt.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Judges more often override juries to give the death penalty as opposed to judges overriding juries to give life in prison.

So I wouldn't trust judges to be better than juries given the task.

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't, but it was known during his many appeals, at least according to the article posted further up.

But that's not a fact being appealed?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

But that's not a fact being appealed?

Two of appeals were based on the fact that his lawyer didn't properly cross-examine or contest the murderer's testimony.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fool_of_sound posted:

Read Federalist # 83.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

awesmoe posted:

Just fyi that's not an actual scalia quote - as a layperson doing some digging, the sentiment appears to be "look if we took appeals just because a dude is innocent that'd be heaps of work and whatchagonna do, y'know?"
Which is kind of arguably worse.

Not exactly. Scalia's bit in the concurrence in Hererra v. Collins (which is what I think you're referencing) about work of lower courts was written because he thought the way the majority reached its decision would leave lower courts obliged to consider arguments that he didn't think they should have to.

The majority opinion assumed something for the sake of argument (that someone could make so persuasive a showing of innocence that their execution would be unconstitutional), then said the guy in that particular case didn't make a sufficient showing. Scalia thought the court should've just disagreed with the argument presented and said no, the Constitution doesn't require consideration of that evidence. Note the part where he explains why he was OK with joining the majority opinion:

quote:

...because I can understand, or at least am accustomed to, the reluctance of the present Court to admit publicly that Our Perfect Constitution lets stand any injustice, much less the execution of an innocent man who has received, though to no avail, all the process that our society has traditionally deemed adequate. With any luck, we shall avoid ever having to face this embarrassing question again, since it is improbable that evidence of innocence as convincing as today’s opinion requires would fail to produce an executive pardon.

So while it may not be an actual quote, I don't think it's an unfair way to characterize his position.

We can infer from the Troy Davis habeas decision that he doesn't have enough votes backing him. Not that that will be much consolation to Troy Davis.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Did jury trials in England back in the day allow commoners to serve on juries? The Framers didn't think the average slob on the street should be able to vote, I don't think they thought he should be able to serve as a juror either

There was an income from property requirement, though it was loose/somewhat ignored in lots of places.

Probably more than you want to know about European juries.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Juries are used not because they are good but because they are a break on government power and take unpopular bad decisions out of the hands of the sovereign. Getting it right is lower down on the list.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

This shouldn't surprise anybody, but states that chose not to expand Medicaid coverage created even bigger holes between the program and the ACA.

The full breakdown of uninsured Americans in the age of "Obamacare" courtesy of 538.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

Juries are used not because they are good but because they are a break on government power and take unpopular bad decisions out of the hands of the sovereign. Getting it right is lower down on the list.
Just curious. Is the Trias politica not a cornerstone of the US system?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

alcyon posted:

Just curious. Is the Trias politica not a cornerstone of the US system?

It is on the federal level, but not necessarily on the state level.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was the jury even allowed to know that? There's a lot of things you can and cannot tell the jury to avoid creating bias just like you're describing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Michael Bennet is the luckiest loving guy in the whole god damned loving world. After the GOP lost their best shots earlier this year, they thought they came up with another really good possible winner in George Brauchler (prosecutor in the aurora shooting trial). Well, that's not an option anymore either.

http://www.denverpost.com/election/ci_28901660/brauchler-wont-seek-u-s-senate-bid-leaves

Seriously, Bennet is terrible but holy gently caress is he lucky.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Goddam it, Secret Service. Way to make that lying toolbag Chaffetz a victim.

quote:

Report finds Secret Service official suggested leaking congressman's file

WASHINGTON — A senior Secret Service official suggested earlier this year that the private file of a congressman, who had previously applied to the agency and was then overseeing a critical review of Secret Service operations, be leaked to the public, a government review has concluded.

The report by Department of Homeland Security Inspector General John Roth found that Assistant Director Ed Lowery emailed a colleague about Rep. Jason Chaffetz's 2003 application, stating that "some information that he might find embarrassing needs to get out. Just to be fair.''

The March 31 email was sent at the same time that Chaffetz, R-Utah, was directing a review of the agency's response to a series of security breaches and agent misconduct.

The Chaffetz application file, opened in September 2003, contained the abbreviated notation "BQA,'' meaning that other better qualified applicants existed.

At the same time, the inspector general found that more than 40 agency employees had accessed the protected information and that the disclosure of the information could subject agents to possible criminal charges, according to the review.

"Certain lines should never be crossed,'' said Chaffetz, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, in response to the report's release. "The unauthorized access and distribution of my personal information crossed that line. It was a tactic designed to intimidate and embarrass me and frankly, it is intimidating. It's scary to think about all the possible dangers in having your personal information exposed.''

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, who ordered the review in April following the initial public disclosures, issued an apology to the congressman and said that he was confident Secret Service Director Joseph Clancy would "take appropriate action to hold accountable those who violated any laws or the policies of this department.''

"Activities like those described in the report must not, and will not, be tolerated,'' Johnson said.

Of the 45 agency employees who accessed Chaffetz's file, the inspector general found that only four had "an arguable legitimate need'' to do it. In addition, the report found that 18 supervisors, including the acting chief of staff and deputy director of the service, knew or should have known that the congressman's protected information had been improperly breached.

"Yet, with a single exception, there was no evidence than any of the managers attempted to inform up the chain or to stop...the activity,'' according to the report. "Director Clancy was unaware of the behavior until shortly before the media published reports of it.''

In an interview with investigators, according to the report, Lowery denied specifically directing anyone to release the information and "believed it would have been inappropriate to do so.''

"He (Lowery) described the (email) statement as reflecting his stress and his anger,'' the report stated. "The recipient of the email (Assistant Faron Paramore) stated that he never responded to the email and did not act on it.

"We have no information,'' the report found, "that would establish that either Lowery or Paramore made good on the email.''

Clancy, in a statement issued late Wednesday, said that any employee implicated in the misconduct would be held accountable, "regardless of rank or seniority.''

"I will ensure the appropriate disciplinary actions are taken,'' Clancy said, adding that the entire service owed an apology to Chaffetz for "this wholly avoidable and embarrassing misconduct.''
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/30/secret-service-probe-chaffetz-file-leaked/73114080/

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was the jury even allowed to know that? There's a lot of things you can and cannot tell the jury to avoid creating bias just like you're describing.

I'd imagine it would have been pretty hard for them not to know. I don't see how you can say to a jury "this guy paid me to murder a dude and I did" without implicating yourself in the process.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radbot posted:

How can one person's testimony, especially testimony received in return for a commuted sentence, ever push one "beyond a reasonable doubt"? How is there not reasonable doubt there?

Well Oklahoma did ban AP US History :twisted: hello zoux, doubt is unknown to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Alligator Horse posted:

This shouldn't surprise anybody, but states that chose not to expand Medicaid coverage created even bigger holes between the program and the ACA.

The full breakdown of uninsured Americans in the age of "Obamacare" courtesy of 538.

Looks like the only solution to the insurance problem is to get to work you lazy proles.

• Locked thread