Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
Hey MIGF, did anyone ask you yet how you feel about Kanye's incipient 2020 candidacy? Good ol' Chiraqi boy and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Hey MIGF, did anyone ask you yet how you feel about Kanye's incipient 2020 candidacy? Good ol' Chiraqi boy and all that.

I would support a Biden/Kanye 2020 ticket.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Kanye may not be campaigning for this year, but if there's one person who deserves to get his mic snatched away mid-speech it's Trump.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

SumYungGui posted:

I wonder how much money she is making from whack jobs that want to "take a stand" against the ruling. There's probably already a kick starter I would imagine, since she's such an poor, oppressed person being told by mean old Obama she can't be a good Christian.

I think the concern right now, above all the grandstanding, is that she's being taken advantage of by her lawyers(probably pro-bono right wing think tank types) to further their concerns, instead of arguing in her best interests.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Urban II handled the rise of ISIL in a much more responsive manner than the Obama administration.
Shut up Rahm.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Carrasco posted:

Kanye may not be campaigning for this year, but if there's one person who deserves to get his mic snatched away mid-speech it's Trump.

It would be pretty awesome to see Trump's crew brawl with Kanye's

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

baw posted:

It would be pretty awesome to see Trump's crew brawl with Kanye's

I remember the triumphant flank assault of the mobility scooters!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FetusSlapper posted:

I think the concern right now, above all the grandstanding, is that she's being taken advantage of by her lawyers(probably pro-bono right wing think tank types) to further their concerns, instead of arguing in her best interests.

That's fine. If she's used and then dropped by a bunch of hucksters and ends up with no job, a prison record, and a pile of debt then I'll consider it justice served.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The Pope may not be entirely :perfect: , but he has truly been more than anybody could have asked for in a Pope. I am -stoked- for his DC visit this month, and can't wait for him to address Congress. It is going to be wonderful to watch Catholic Republicans squirm and weasel their way into justifying their dogshit anti-christian policies when the Pope himself is in town.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kanye West's campaign music would just be POWER in an eternal loop. And he would never let people finish during debates.
Also Sanders/Clinton would crush him.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Grouchio posted:

Shut up Rahm.

Please just put him on ignore so the thread isn't shitted up by people quoting him all the time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FAUXTON posted:

He excommunicated the mafia a little while back.

lol

Pope Francis own

Talmonis posted:

The man's the best pope in living memory. Possibly of all time.

Agreed

With the caveat that "Best Pope" isn't a particularly high bar to clear

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The best bread is the most imperialist bread: Hawaiian taro rolls

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mitt Romney posted:

If it can be proven that she sent or received at the time classified emails then it's possible she'll get charges brought against her. I think the last few secretaries of state have used private email (at least Powell did). These Clinton fishing expeditions are just like the 90s all over again.

Received? If I improperly send someone classified material, they'll get in trouble?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

Received? If I improperly send someone classified material, they'll get in trouble?

No. The issue at play with Clinton's private server is whether or not she and her staff were knowingly sending classified material to an offsite, private server. What it looks like now is that some things were sent which were later classified (including someone's grocery list for whatever reason) but that no one knowingly mishandled classified data.

If the GOP could prove that Clinton was knowingly sending classified data, then she could be charged with a crime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

El Disco posted:

Some stuff wasn't classified at the time it was sent, but is now. It's only a problem if it was classified at the time it was sent.

And this is exactly why it will never be a Big Deal outside echo chambers. If someone asks you what she did and your answer can't be summed up in a sentence or two without caveats, their eyes are probably going to glaze over and they'll completely discard it.

(Not to mention that the answer ends up being "she didn't do anything illegal")

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Chokes McGee posted:

And this is exactly why it will never be a Big Deal outside echo chambers. If someone asks you what she did and your answer can't be summed up in a sentence or two without caveats, their eyes are probably going to glaze over and they'll completely discard it.

(Not to mention that the answer ends up being "she didn't do anything illegal")

Can we put this in the OP so everyone can :wrongful: about emailgate?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

If it can be proven that she sent or received at the time classified emails then it's possible she'll get charges brought against her. I think the last few secretaries of state have used private email (at least Powell did). These Clinton fishing expeditions are just like the 90s all over again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

No. The issue at play with Clinton's private server is whether or not she and her staff were knowingly sending classified material to an offsite, private server. What it looks like now is that some things were sent which were later classified (including someone's grocery list for whatever reason) but that no one knowingly mishandled classified data.

If the GOP could prove that Clinton was knowingly sending classified data, then she could be charged with a crime.

Seeing how Petraeus only got one misdemeanor for purposefully giving classified information to his gf....

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Please just put him on ignore so the thread isn't shitted up by people quoting him all the time.

whats that, quote migf you said, okay can do

My Imaginary GF posted:

I would support a Biden/Kanye 2020 ticket.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

FAUXTON posted:

He excommunicated the mafia a little while back.

:xcom:

It's always nice to see religious figures actually adhering to the nicer bits of their religion. Pope's cool.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Small OP correction:
This thread was gassed, the new Sanders vs Hillary forever-war thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736857

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fade5 posted:

Small OP correction:

This thread was gassed, the new Sanders vs Hillary forever-war thread is here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736857

Thus proving how not-worth-visiting said forum is.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

Seeing how Petraeus only got one misdemeanor for purposefully giving classified information to his gf....

Not even his girlfriend. His mistress. That's the kind of thing that's super-duper bad bad bad for officials of his level to be doing. He really should have done time for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How the cuts (proposed and implemented) to Planned Parenthood has shaken out:

quote:

NEW ORLEANS — Dr. Stephanie Taylor recently showed off the private community health center here, newly built on the site of a women’s clinic wrecked by Hurricane Katrina a decade ago, pointing out the colorful furnishings, germ-resistant flooring and, in the sunny lobby, a welcoming Tree of Life mural. So it was a tad incongruous when she added, “We’re at ground zero for sexually transmitted infections.”

Dr. Taylor’s point was twofold: Demand for tests and treatment is great, not just in this neighborhood beyond the French Quarter, but all over Louisiana. And clinics like this CrescentCare Health and Wellness Center need all the allies they can get — including the state’s two Planned Parenthood clinics, one here and one in Baton Rouge, which are now threatened with losing their public funds by Republicans in the state capital and in Congress.

Senators Joni Ernst and James Lankford on Wednesday. They and Senator Rand Paul introduced a bill to redirect federal funding from Planned Parenthood to other health care providers.

“We have a syphilis epidemic right now in New Orleans,” said Dr. Taylor, the medical director overseeing programs to combat sexually transmitted infections for the State Office of Public Health. She is also the director of Louisiana State University’s sexually transmitted infections program that operates in the wellness center here. Louisiana ranks first among the states in cases of gonorrhea, second in chlamydia, and third in syphilis and in H.I.V., according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The political dispute embroiling Planned Parenthood here and nationwide is over abortion, though public funds are not permitted by federal law to be used for abortion, except in cases of rape, incest or when a pregnancy threatens the mother’s life. Neither clinic in this state — like nearly half of all Planned Parenthood centers — performs them. What the Louisiana Planned Parenthood clinics did do last year was administer nearly 20,000 tests for sexually transmitted infections, as well as providing gynecological exams, contraceptive care, cancer screenings and other wellness services for nearly 10,000 mostly low-income patients.

“You can’t just cut Planned Parenthood off one day and expect everyone across the city to absorb the patients,” Dr. Taylor said. “There needs to be time to build the capacity.”

With the calls to stop funding for Planned Parenthood, a visit to New Orleans and Baton Rouge suggests that it would not be as easy to do without the nonprofit centers as some Republicans and their anti-abortion allies say. Other states will face similar problems.

quote:

Also, since most funds that Planned Parenthood receives from taxpayers are reimbursements for tending to Medicaid beneficiaries, experts in health policy say that lawmakers cannot simply take money from the organization and redirect it to other facilities.

“Somebody says, ‘Oh, we’ll just move $500 million over.’ First of all, most of that is Medicaid, so you can’t just move it over,” said Sara Rosenbaum, a professor at George Washington University’s School of Public Health and Health Services, which recently released results of a three-year study of community health services and family planning nationwide.

She called it “an absurd claim” that other health providers could replace Planned Parenthood, especially in the South and the Midwest. With the Affordable Care Act, Ms. Rosenbaum said, health centers “have been just overwhelmed with patients because of the expansion of insurance coverage.”

quote:

Republicans in Congress are trying once again to cut funds to Planned Parenthood, a nonprofit of 665 affiliates that gets about 40 percent of its $1.3 billion annual budget from public funds, mostly from Medicaid. But this time the Republicans are harnessing opposition to the organization that has been stirred this summer by an anti-abortion group’s surreptitiously recorded videos charging that Planned Parenthood profited from selling fetal parts. The organization denies that, saying a few affiliates donate tissue for research with patients’ consent and charge nominal fees to cover costs.

In a shift of tactics, Republicans in the Senate are calling to take the roughly $500 million in federal funds from Planned Parenthood and give it to other providers that treat women — a move to counter Democrats’ charges of a Republican “war on women.”

quote:

Gov. Bobby Jindal, a Republican presidential candidate, moved early this month to end Louisiana’s contract with Planned Parenthood to treat Medicaid patients. Its two clinics had 5,200 such patients last year, officials say. Mr. Jindal contended that cutting off funds “does not jeopardize those services in any way, as Planned Parenthood is just one of many providers in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/02/u...WT.nav=top-news

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

How are u posted:

Not even his girlfriend. His mistress. That's the kind of thing that's super-duper bad bad bad for officials of his level to be doing. He really should have done time for it.

General...Betray-us? :smug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Interesting article in the New Yorker about Donald's impact on Tea Party supporters and white supremacists

Spoiler: They love him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

He passed shopping malls, churches, and ranch houses with satellite dishes in the front yard. Some drivers waved; others stared. A car had been positioned along the route with a sign across the windshield: “MR. TRUMP, gently caress U.”

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Klaus88 posted:

The right isn't going to so good luck.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you Google almost any Democratic senator's name right now, the top sponsored result is from stopthebadirandeal dot com, with deep links to one-click call Senators Booker, Cardin, Manchin, and Bennett.

Twitter, too, is awash in sponsored ads attacking the deal. Between Wasserman-Schultz and Schumer defecting, I just don't see how the pro-Deal faction can marshal the money for a counter-blitz.

Still, I'm hopeful. 31-2 is a strong head start.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
While I imagine Trump pulls a lot of the white supremacist vote, polls have shown that he actually doesn't have a disproportionate amount of sway over Tea Partiers. His lead with them is about as big as it is with most other demographics. If Freep is at all representative, I think some Tea Partiers are seeing Trump as a danger to the party and country with a fascist platform. Most of these are Walker supporters.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Thus proving how not-worth-visiting said forum is.

The larger purpose of it is not to be good, but rather to confine the bad. So in other words MIGF really should come on over.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 1, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bob Casey supports the Iran deal, making it 32-2 among Senate Democrats who will vote "no".

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Bob Casey supports the Iran deal, making it 32-2 among Senate Democrats who will vote "no".

If we count Manchin and Blumenthal as probably yes votes, that takes us over the top.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
In other "Jesus Christ, what the gently caress is wrong with us" news, seems the good folks on Riker's Island witheld insulin from a diabetic man and watched him die slowly. This is after the city of New York paid out over 17 million dollars for doing the same thing to another dude five years before, who took permanent brain damage and ended up in a wheelchair.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I do like all that hat backstory.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:shillary: Clinton may have been indirectly or even directly responsible for the events that resulted in Vilerat's death, the proof for which would have been on this email server, and you want people to shut up about it?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Shortest Path posted:

:shillary: Clinton may have been indirectly or even directly responsible for the events that resulted in Vilerat's death, the proof for which would have been on this email server, and you want people to shut up about it?
Hillary did Benghazi. Really?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a joke about all the HILLARY BENGHAZI stuff that resurged with the email scandal.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Please refer to her as HITLERY KKKLINTON if you're going to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

That takes me right back to 1998. :allears:

• Locked thread