Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mitt Romney posted:

If it can be proven that she sent or received at the time classified emails then it's possible she'll get charges brought against her. I think the last few secretaries of state have used private email (at least Powell did). These Clinton fishing expeditions are just like the 90s all over again.

Received? If I improperly send someone classified material, they'll get in trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's weird seeing goons react to criticisms about Clinton's handling of her email being 'Well, Bush('s administration) did it too!' as if that makes it ok/right.

Yeah, as Zeroisanumber said, Powell used Hotmail, and that was dumb as poo poo. So is having your email server run by a tech firm in a bathroom closet in a loft. Both scenarios are dumb as gently caress, and it's ok to admit that.

e: How can a person not like broccoli?!

Is that how her server was run? Cause physical security doesn't translate to digital security. After all, it seems to have been hacked less than the government's servers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Technogeek posted:

I just want to remind everyone that during Fiorina's tenure as CEO, HP printer drivers literally included an installation of Apache Tomcat to operate the printer control panel.

EDIT: I don't think this was her fault specifically, but I am still obligated to remind people of this because holy loving poo poo.

So they tried to copy CUPS without understanding why it did what it did?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Or "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy"

I miss the 90s, it'll be nice to watch a whole new generation experience them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

As with most problems caused by businessmen, it's a CAPEX vs OPEX issue.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Dare I ask what special forces command's opinion on counselling in general is

I think that article explained it well, a couple sleeping pills and some insults.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Unfortunately I don't know. I didn't actually watch the show; got the GIF second-hand.

CBS puts it up on their website, you may need a VPN if you're not in the USA.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Tezzor posted:

I have heard that Clinton said a thing, OP. As she is the presumptive nominee and likely to be the next President, the thing she said - outlining her policy ideas and foreign policy philosophy - is very relevant for discussion. I think we should at least give it equal time to Mean Ol' Republican Said a Thing So Let's Get Mad and Deflect Attention Away From the Fact That Our Party is Garbage. That is just my opinion, which I am offering for debate.

Hillary and Bernie chat is over in RSF, this is for non presidential election politics. That's why we're mostly not talking about them and instead talking about normal politics.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mulva posted:

Except Texas, funnily enough :eng101:

Not anymore.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, it's basically a theoretical thing you can do. There's traces of the past data on the drive (i.e. 0's that were previously 1's would show up as slightly more positive 0's than the digits that were always 0's). Digital storage/logic doesn't mean "full on/full off", it means that if there's enough charge/the magnet is pointed far enough in a certain direction it's considered "positive" and if there's not enough it's considered "negative" with a big dead zone in the middle to catch any electronic noise. If a signal enters that band its ignored and keeps its previous value until it reaches the threshold of "Okay, now this bit has changed to a 1/0" This is necessary because when you get down to it, electronics and signals are inherently really messy, it's by making everything digital that it suddenly looks clean.

But yeah, you can totally go through with an electron microscope and check which 1's were previously 0's and 0's that were previously 1's. The issues are:
1) How much data are you sifting through? This process is going to be really damned slow.
2) How fragmented is the data? A lot of stuff stored on hard drives is incredibly fragmented, you'll have a chunk at section A, then a pointer that says "continue to section B at the following memory address", repeat as needed.
3) The real killers: this only works if there was no additional data stored beforehand, and that all the original 0s had a low variance when made in the factory. Both of which are laughable ideas. The former can basically create noise a lot like the "re-write the data 17 times with random trash" erasing. The latter is just the inherent noise in the system, as I said electronics are inherently incredibly noisy and a lot of designing them goes in finding ways around said noise. That noise built in noise from impurities during hard drive construction won't affect your daily operations but is likely going to be "louder" than the faint signal of the deleted files you're trying to scan, at least in some areas of the disk.

So yes, the whole "scan the data looking for 1's and 0's that were previously 0's and 1's" Can totally be done in a lab setting, likely has been done several times. I have a lot less faith that it can be done in a real life "recovering the files when you don't know exactly what you're looking for" sort of setting.

You haven't been able to for many years now. Hard drives are so dense, they no longer have a 1:1 relationship like that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

tsa posted:

For some reason the common "wisdom" here is that clinton is immune to scandals as she continuously slips in the poll and is currently being beaten in heads up matches against donald loving trump.

How you respond to "scandals" 16 months from the election is different than how you respond to them in the time period that they'll effect the election.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

That would be legalistically difficult since there are technically hundreds of candidates, though I would like to hear more about AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA's plans for the economy or HARRY THE MLG WIZARD ULTRA-MC UMC HP POTTER's foreign policy.

Works for Japan, what could possibly be the problem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7jOd6HcIY

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo that pharma CEO is an utterly shameless rear end in a top hat who sees nothing wrong with what he's doing and personally trolls his numerous critics using fake Twitter accounts that talk in "ghetto-speak."

This is what he looks like by the way.

How the gently caress does a 32 year old douchebag with the maturity and social skills of a 4channer become the CEO of a pharmaceutical company? Are his parents multi-trillionaires?

Sadly since he's an amoral sociopath and Hillary personally called him out today he's going to become a right-wing hero, so prepare yourselves for that.

He's not running a pharmaceutical company, he runs an investment firm that has been buying up pharmaceutical companies and Romneying them. That's how he manages to get in charge of these things, money that needs to be spent on something.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sundae posted:

In addition to the investigation, he's almost certainly in for a rude awakening once the FDA gets around to dealing with him. The last company to try this bullshit, KV Pharma, didn't come out too well after the FDA publicly announced that they weren't going to enforce their patent on Makena after their 5000% price increase. Company went bankrupt (and was then bought out by a big pharma player) shortly afterward.

The drug has been off patent for decades. Because it used to only be $1, no one bothered making generics. I have a feeling that will change.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Plexiwatt posted:

Who is the lucky guy with the dashing red sash who got to eavesdrop on this conversation?

e: wtf barely beaten

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

duz
Jul 11, 2005

scaterry posted:

First i have heard of it, but what is and who is in the Tortilla Coast?

It's where the freedom caucus meets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

Is there any legal reason budgets can't be made with a "the per-week payment rates described in this budget shall continue, indexed quarterly to inflation, until a new budget is passed and the debt ceiling shall be automatically adjusted to pay for it" type language?

Sure it'd be hell to get that passed the first time but there may be enough sane people in congress who are sick of this repeating fake crisis to ram it through and it'd take the Tortilla folk's favorite explosive toy away. I'd imagine the establishment/business types wouldn't mind that too much.

The budget used to automatically raise the debt ceiling to match. I'll let you guess which party removed that clause once they took over the house.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Jethro posted:

Also, the recommendation for cervical cancer screening (pap smears) used to be every year, and now it's more like 3-5 years, so that cuts down on the number of screenings done by anyone, not just PP.

Yeah, professions are starting to scale back on how often someone who doesn't have a history cancer should check for cancer.
Or as helpfully illustrated by Natural News:

Yes, they don't see the irony in complaining that looking for cancer makes you more likely to find cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

What makes you the expert on horrible dates?

You really going to softball them in like that?

• Locked thread