Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What are you trying to hide from me???

It's for a project. Do NOT ask what the project is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
What's the project.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If I remember it isn't even "master of ceremonies," it was because some Norwegian RPG or something had their own name for the GM role, and the direct translation was "Mr Cavern."

Which I mean. Kudos, I totally like Mr Cavern more then Dungeon Master.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

It's for a project. Do NOT ask what the project is.

Asking would imply it's not an order.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

remusclaw posted:

The world is not binary, The bad may have good ideas, and the good may have bad. Master of Ceremonies sounds OK, if still a little pompous.

It only sounds pompous if you spell it out. The abbreviated 'MC' isn't bad at all.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Covok posted:

It's September now. It's still hot. It's still humid.

Why not cool off by hiding in your house, behind your computer, yelling about elfgames?

To start things off, why not a quick discussion on your best gaming experience this year, so far?

I am torn between two experiences and SURPRISE ONE OF THEM IS ABOUT YELLING AND ELFGAMES

1. 13th Age skype game! Our party is a group of Imperial mail carriers looking into THE MYSTERY OF gnomes or w/e the gently caress stealing all the mail. As we're walking into kobold town or wherever with designs on FINALLY GETTING TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS MYSTERY, I turn a remark from one of the other party members into an excuse to go on this breathless, whimperingsobbing rant (I don't remember how it started, but I remember lots of me gasping and shuddering and fake-crying and i think the words YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL MOM I GUESS YOU JUST WANT TO SELL ME TO THE CIRCUS coming up she was not my character's mom) that eventually gave way to my genderweird goblin bard slash con woman and the ageless dark-elf graverobber who wrote chaste shoujo-ai fic of the Priestess having a TEARFUL RECONCILIATION while the other party members sneak into a storeroom containing a sack of stolen mail that was guarded until, uh....

The GM stammers out something about how he was just going to make us roll a background to sneak in.

2. I'm in this Monsterhearts game, and it's one of my best PBP experiences both on the whole (it didn't die in like a month! There are a bunch of people on SA who are lovely or Weird About MH and none of them are in this game! I'm legit having a lot of fun writing my character!) and 'cos a few months back an encounter I literally waited eight months for happened and ~character development~ and RPing fallout and messy complicated feelings and aaaaaaaaaa

It's also the first game i've been in that actually lasted more than eight months. A-and Kprime's a swell GM. So, y'know.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Covok posted:

It's September now. It's still hot. It's still humid.

Why not cool off by hiding in your house, behind your computer, yelling about elfgames?

To start things off, why not a quick discussion on your best gaming experience this year, so far?

Has to be the wrap up of an 18-month 13th Age campaign (spun out of the Shadowport Shuffle organized play adventure) wherein the party was a group of literal con artists called "Red Varos and his Fantabulous Wonder Show" who traveled around the empire in the disguise of circus performers (if you couldn't guess by the name) swindling and robbing anyone they could get in front of. Of course, it would never go exactly to plan and more than one performance ended with a bath tub being thrown through a window preceding a hasty retreat.

Highlights included the sinking of an airship disguised as performance art gone terribly awry, a naval escapade with Captain Ron (everyone loves Kurt Russel) against a band of evil Devil Pirates out to claim their souls, and their opening a tavern in Shadowport so they plaster the walls with trophies of their various misdeeds. All this culminated into them conning the Lich King himself, tricking him into wearing a cursed crown that restored him to life (after which his extreme age caught up to him and he promptly died).

It's the closest I've gotten to a Terry Pratchett campaign and I loving loved it. It's extra notable to me, as the group is normally a pretty grimdarkserious kind of thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

I hate to say it, but the gaming den's term "master of ceremonies" is growing on me for super-lite drinking game rpgs to keep away from the "game master" slash "dungeon master" terminology.

It just seems differently nerdy in a more appealing way.
Depending on the kind of game you're playing, being the GM can really be more of a "facilitator", as in the players are really doing a lot of the writing themselves, you're just poking and prodding and filling in key details.

Countblanc posted:

is there any way to have hidden information, as a player, in Roll20? Specifically something you can put on the table and later reveal. I know you can make a custom deck of cards but that seems cumbersome, but may be the only option.

You can designate some parts of the map as being under the "fog of war" until you reveal it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

You can designate some parts of the map as being under the "fog of war" until you reveal it.

Players shouldn't have access to the fog of war layer in Roll20 as far as I know. I don't know how to do this, but then I'm no expert. Is there a good, comprehensive source of Roll20 documentation somewhere? Their wiki is somewhat sparse and does not seem to cover all the macro abilities, for example.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So has anyone gotten a message like this from Drivethru RPG?

quote:

'allo everyone.

OneBookShelf (parent company of RPGNow, DriveThruRPG, etc.) has released a new "Offensive Content Policy" which will allow users to flag products they consider offensive. OBS will then review titles and remove those they find objectionable. Their new policy states:

"If a reported title looks questionable, then we will suspend it from sale while we review its content internally, and we will speak with its publisher to determine the fate of the title on our marketplace. Our default will be to suspend titles rather than our prior default of letting titles stay public."

They also state "We are no longer a wide-open marketplace."

LotFP releases are often influenced by horror movie and heavy metal attitudes and aesthetics. Many of the same people who caused this new policy to be implemented have in the past complained about LotFP products.

I hope I am wrong, but I fear that LotFP is not long for this site.

Make sure you've downloaded all your LotFP purchases from OBS, and back them up. There may soon come a day when you will not have access to them and I may not have the infrastructure to replace them.

We're not allowed to link to other sites in these emails, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to find LotFP's blog, or website, or Facebook, or G+ pages, to receive further news if we disappear from this site.

I might also suggest you (politely!) email OBS and voice your support for being able to decide for yourself what products you choose to buy or not, and not having such things dictated to you.

-
James Edward Raggi IV
Lamentations of the Flame Princess
Helsinki, Finland

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, he probably sent that out to everybody. I'm of a mind to write him back to tell him to go right the hell ahead.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think at some point one of his products was in a popular bundle, so now when he sends an email to 'everyone who has one of your products' he hits almost everybody.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

I think at some point one of his products was in a popular bundle, so now when he sends an email to 'everyone who has one of your products' he hits almost everybody.

Oh poo poo, I remember now - I bought the OSR Bundle of Holding for Scarlet Heroes and Labyrinth Lord and it came with Death Frost Doom

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Was that exploring a Dwarven ruin or something to do with giants?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Speaking of PbP games, my next idea after one of my current PbP's is over is to run a Burning Wheel scenario where the characters are all orcs (because Burning Wheel orcs are cool) and I'm having one problem with translating the mechanics to PbP:

In Duel of Wits and Fight! the players are supposed to plan their turn ahead by three actions and each action is revealed and resolved at the same time. For PC vs PC duels it's simple because I can use emails and/or PMs (which would mean getting Plat) to have each player send me their actions three at a time and then resolving them, but what's the most elegant way for me, as a GM, to show my players that I've actually planned the actions for my NPCs beforehand instead of pulling them out of my rear end?

The simplest solution would be to not do DoW or Fight! but that feels like missing out on some of the best parts of the game.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The guys who publish Black Tokyo released a supplement (not sure if it's for BT or another game) called "Tournament of Rapists" on DTRP last week. People saw it and there was a Twitter explosion for a couple hours. DriveThru removed the product, and it appears that they've now released a specific content policy (the publisher agreement only had some vague language about products damaging DTRPG's reputation).

So of course now people are crying free speech and scrambling to try to defend their own horrible poo poo.

TLDR: The industry is full of lovely people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Was that exploring a Dwarven ruin or something to do with giants?

Here's the SA/Fatal and Friends write-up:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/rulebook-heavily/death-frost-doom/

Basically it's supposed to be an exploration of a mountaintop dungeon, except it's filled with the tabletop equivalent of cheap jump scares, lolrandom monkey cheese bullshit and "horror" that's really just "oh we don't explain any of it, isn't that weird? it's totally weird"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If I recall correctly the only LotfP supplement that is good (and it's off the charts amazing) is Scenic Dunnsmouth.

Unfortunately their other supplements that I've seen are not written by the same author or as innovative.

I'll write it up eventually.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

From what I have heard it wasn't DTRPG that did this, it was the publishers.

E: remote the product, that is.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 2, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

If I recall correctly the only LotfP supplement that is good (and it's off the charts amazing) is Scenic Dunnsmouth.

Unfortunately their other supplements that I've seen are not written by the same author or as innovative.

I'll write it up eventually.

Scenic Dunnsmouth is really cool and it's author has released another adventure through LotFP where the gimmick is playing a dungeon crawl set some hundreds of years in the past as a group of nobodies and THEN playing the same dungeon again in the current day, with the events of the previous group's foray affecting the composition of the dungeon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Scenic Dunnsmouth is really cool and it's author has released another adventure through LotFP where the gimmick is playing a dungeon crawl set some hundreds of years in the past as a group of nobodies and THEN playing the same dungeon again in the current day, with the events of the previous group's foray affecting the composition of the dungeon.

That sounds really innovative. I'll have to find it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I remember it isn't even "master of ceremonies," it was because some Norwegian RPG or something had their own name for the GM role, and the direct translation was "Mr Cavern."

Which I mean. Kudos, I totally like Mr Cavern more then Dungeon Master.
A Mr. Cavern mask sounds like an off-brand Halloween costume designed to avoid copyright infringement.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of PbP games, my next idea after one of my current PbP's is over is to run a Burning Wheel scenario where the characters are all orcs (because Burning Wheel orcs are cool) and I'm having one problem with translating the mechanics to PbP:

In Duel of Wits and Fight! the players are supposed to plan their turn ahead by three actions and each action is revealed and resolved at the same time. For PC vs PC duels it's simple because I can use emails and/or PMs (which would mean getting Plat) to have each player send me their actions three at a time and then resolving them, but what's the most elegant way for me, as a GM, to show my players that I've actually planned the actions for my NPCs beforehand instead of pulling them out of my rear end?

The simplest solution would be to not do DoW or Fight! but that feels like missing out on some of the best parts of the game.

Time them. I know it can be hard to do so in an online game, but what you do is when a fight is started, and its time for the actions to be written out, you both declare when you are finished with writing them, and you arrange to send them to each other or post them at the same time. Should avoid any capability or suspicion of rear end pulling once you get the timing worked out. Don't forget to synchronize your watches!

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 2, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alternatively if possible use IRC or Skype.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty apparent Lotfp just uses over the top gore and other edgy material because it's the only thing that separates it from other bland and derivative OSR games. Not even in a way that's clever or pays homage to anything, just to be shocking and disgusting. Even going to their website is revolting and it doesn't help that a good deal of the pictures I've seen or remember are of violence against women.

EDIT:

Qelong by Ken Hite is cool but it's Ken Hite.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 2, 2015

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm learning campaign cartographer and it's really, really hard. Part of that is me not having a mouse to work with at the moment but it has less of a learning curve and more of a learning brick wall.

CC has a pretty steep learning curve. I always used to find dundjinni better for straight dungeon maps, but cc is broader and has more overall scope. Also I find it easier to use the mouse with CC and then wacom when I import the maps back into photoshop.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Best gaming experience this year so far has been finishing off a Solomon Kane savage worlds campaign. Players finished collecting the 13 ghosts of scooby doo 13 Maguffins of Power and prevented a crazed priest from forcing the rapture in 1612. Their only regret was not sticking around to fight the Master Vampire in the Virginia Colony, but a war against the Undead Tobacco Lords will probably be the premise for another game if we go back to it.

Also, per some of the chat; James Raggi is an histrionic rear end in a top hat who publishes a lot of material that people don't like, for entirely valid reasons. His art choices are oriented toward over the top shock and gore and is rooted in the culture that produces stuff like Cannibal Corpse album covers. He is also friends and in business with some genuinely terrible human beings. Still...

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

EDIT:

Qelong by Ken Hite is cool but it's Ken Hite.

Raggi the publisher has worked with some good authors, apparently pays on time and in full and will probably continue to sell. If one dismisses everything published on his imprint out of hand, you'll miss some neat stuff. Qelong is cool, as is Scenic Dunsmouth and I'd add One Small Cut by Michael Curtis, which I ran for my Savage Worlds group to good reception during a Solomon Kane campaign.

So while Raggi the person is indefensible, Raggi the author is generally a hack and Lotfp the ruleset is a boring rear end retroclone with almost no distinguishing characteristics, but some of the non-Raggi authored modules are worth checking out. And if you come across them for free or in a bundle, some usable ideas can even be gleaned from his own modules, if you're willing to dig through the mountain of poo poo encrusting them, even if it's not usually worth the effort.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know there's a wiki for Fatal and Friends but is there a place the posts are backed up to since I don't have archives?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Len posted:

I know there's a wiki for Fatal and Friends but is there a place the posts are backed up to since I don't have archives?

Yes and it is maintained by inkelesspen.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Ratpick posted:

The simplest solution is to just open a notepad file and type in your action before you ask for the player's action. Sure, you could cheat this way, but if the GM is cheating then the game has bigger problems.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

Yes and it is maintained by inkelesspen.

Thanks

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That spooky floating crown. :ohdear:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Ratpick posted:

but what's the most elegant way for me, as a GM, to show my players that I've actually planned the actions for my NPCs beforehand instead of pulling them out of my rear end?

I actually built 80% of a webapp that could do this.

Unfortunately, it fell down on my inability to build a UI that made sense for it, and also my inability to get anyone to ever play Torchbearer/MouseGuard/BurningWheel with me.

So, if you have any experience designing webapp UIs, and you want this to be a thing, PM me. (I'm also on SynIRC if you don't have PMs.)

(Alternatively, it could possibly work over specially formatted emails or something. But again, that's just another kind of UI.)

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 3, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't you just write down your NPC's planned action in spoiler tags and come to an agreement that they won't read it until it's supposed to be read?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
For $5 I will act as a trustworthy middleman. You can send your moves to me and I'll post them in the thread when appropriate.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm starting to lean towards what Astus suggested: for player vs. player conflicts I can act as the middleman, but for NPC vs. PC conflicts I'll just promise to actually plan my actions and be fair about them before the big reveal. It's still not quite what I'm looking for, because I'm really big on transparency in games, but it'll do for now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

My best gaming experience so far this year was a FATE game about crazy races all sharing an archipelago world that didn't really get far off the ground because people stopped posting.

I wish I had more gaming experiences.

Hey this was from ages ago but sorry this died. :( I might resurrect it someday.

Also my best gaming experience so far is 13th Age with my friends, having them fight off an invading undead army and kick a necromancer off his tower. Now my players are going to try and take down the Empire simply because it's the Empire, and also chasing Lady Satan into hell because she tried to steal something of theirs. It's a blast but I keep thinking that switching to a system with way less rolling and superfluous stats, like Strike. Also thinking of picking up Dungeon Saga for them.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
If you have a GMless game, such as Microscope, Human Contact, or Fiasco, and you want to set up a PBP game of it, how do you tend to handle that? "I'll be acting as GM during initial player and concept selection, but then I'll step down and just be another player."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

inklesspen posted:

If you have a GMless game, such as Microscope, Human Contact, or Fiasco, and you want to set up a PBP game of it, how do you tend to handle that? "I'll be acting as GM during initial player and concept selection, but then I'll step down and just be another player."?

Well it depends on the game. In something like Fiasco, yeah, that's how it should work, but Microscope or Kingdom is a whole other can of worms as far as player selection is concerned. Once you have everyone assembled though it should work out as everyone's a player and there's no GM, yeah.

• Locked thread