Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those who don't read the Industry thread but would like a "laugh": Goblinworks (the Pathfinder MMO people) just announced that Ryan Dancey has left the company for "personal reasons". Oh, and that they had to downsize to like four people, but I'm sure that's completely unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

For those who don't read the Industry thread but would like a "laugh": Goblinworks (the Pathfinder MMO people) just announced that Ryan Dancey has left the company for "personal reasons". Oh, and that they had to downsize to like four people, but I'm sure that's completely unrelated.

I believe they downsized to three people. Also, their FAQ about "what the gently caress is going to happen to my $5k in-game destructible tavern" basically begs everyone to keep subbing so they don't go completely under before they find someone dumb enough to buy and finish their shitshow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

You see, on one hand, I find it funny because of the silliness of the whole thing. On the other hand, a lot of people just got robbed. Is it true that, if they informed themselves prior to their investment, they would have not put the money in? Yes. That said, it still is lovely Dancey got away with it again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Covok posted:

Is it true that, if they informed themselves prior to their investment, they would have not put the money in? Yes.

There's a thread on their forum full of people beating their chests about subbing even more accounts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Plague of Hats posted:

There's a thread on their forum full of people beating their chests about subbing even more accounts.

Well, that's just dumb. Like, really really dumb.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

New Bundle of Holding is a bunch of Apocalypse engine stuff.

$7.95
Apocalypse World
Monsterhearts
Monsterhearts: Blood of Misty Harbour
Bootleggers
Cartel

$17.67
World Wide Wrestling
Monster of the Week (Revised)
Legacy: Life Among the Ruins
Deniable

Actually I know jack poo poo about AW but I've been interested in it for quite awhile.. isn't a 2nd edition coming out really soon? Is it even worth it to get 1st edition stuff right now?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Drone posted:

Actually I know jack poo poo about AW but I've been interested in it for quite awhile.. isn't a 2nd edition coming out really soon? Is it even worth it to get 1st edition stuff right now?
There is a second edition coming out "soon", in that it's being worked on. That being said, that's still a great deal for WWW, Monsterhearts, and MotW.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

There is a second edition coming out "soon", in that it's being worked on. That being said, that's still a great deal for WWW, Monsterhearts, and MotW.

Also, Apocalypse World 1e (if that's what it's being called now) is still a really, really, really good game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Also, Apocalypse World 1e (if that's what it's being called now) is still a really, really, really good game.
Also true. It's good to see where and how it all started.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also true. It's good to see where and how it all started.

It still manages to be among the best of the Apocalypse engine games tbh. Most of the extra mechanics added by other games (the 7-8 I've messed with at least) tend to end up as bloat that detracts from the experience.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apocalypse World is better than Dungeon World.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What?

quote:

Register Now!!!

For SynnCon September 19, 2015

Come and learn Synnibarr in this one day event designed to teach you how to play.
Raven McCracken and the creators of the game will be there with our team of Synners in a series of events that will lead you through the rules and have you adventuring.
Member of the Synners team will be available while you play to lead you the rules and answer your questions.

What?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It makes more sense in the original Venderant Nalaberong.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apocalypse World is better than Dungeon World.

+1

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who is dumb enough to pay more than 15 bucks on a PDF, especially a PBtA one?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Where is this? I need to know how Synnibar works when run by the only person to actually play Synnibar.

E: People should be really excited for this bundle. WWWRPG is probably my favorite game ever.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 3, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

Where is this? I need to know how Synnibar works when run by the only person to actually play Synnibar.

Seattle, apparently.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Well it depends on the game. In something like Fiasco, yeah, that's how it should work, but Microscope or Kingdom is a whole other can of worms as far as player selection is concerned. Once you have everyone assembled though it should work out as everyone's a player and there's no GM, yeah.

Would you be willing to go into that :can: in more detail?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

inklesspen posted:

If you have a GMless game, such as Microscope, Human Contact, or Fiasco, and you want to set up a PBP game of it, how do you tend to handle that? "I'll be acting as GM during initial player and concept selection, but then I'll step down and just be another player."?
I've set up a couple of The Quiet Year games here and my role was basically the facilitator: getting people to post text, images or music that explained or represented how they wanted to play and what they wanted to see; splitting people into groups accordingly; and then leading my own group through setup (including setting up a roll20 game for the oracle cards and an online whiteboard for the map), making the game thread and taking the first turn. Once the game starts I'm just a regular player, though still alert for any rules queries or misunderstandings if I'm playing with anyone who hasn't played it before.

There isn't, or shouldn't, be any problems with picking players, because it's more like sorting rather than picking - the low/no-prep nature of many GMless games means there's no reason why another prospective player couldn't take over setup for another group, unless nobody else has the rules.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Is there an RPG out there that is about the major political leaders in a single-party totalitarian state vying for power? Basically, something like Paranoia except with the players as the higher-ups instead of the grunts.

I could see it as a Fiasco playbook, but I might want something more meaty.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ratpick posted:

Is there an RPG out there that is about the major political leaders in a single-party totalitarian state vying for power? Basically, something like Paranoia except with the players as the higher-ups instead of the grunts.

Well there's literally a supplement for Paranoia about playing High Programmers if that's your thing.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Well there's literally a supplement for Paranoia about playing High Programmers if that's your thing.

Is it any good? Basically, the ideal game I've got in my head is one of comic dystopian intrigue and backstabbing, potentially with each player as the highest ranking member of their respective branch, each with their own powers and privileges. So, the minister of information might be able to expunge the other characters' achievements (or at best their entire existence) from the records, while the minister of security might be able to arrest the other characters on falsified charges, and so on. Basically, each player competing for the grace of Big Brother/The Computer/The Great Leader or whatever.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Ratpick posted:

I could see it as a Fiasco playbook, but I might want something more meaty.

My first thought was Fiasco, but if you want something with more mechanical edge... perhaps Burning Wheel or Burning Empires?

There's also Covenant, the Game of Failing Conspiracies that might work with a little reskinning or hackery?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

potatocubed posted:

My first thought was Fiasco, but if you want something with more mechanical edge... perhaps Burning Wheel or Burning Empires?

There's also Covenant, the Game of Failing Conspiracies that might work with a little reskinning or hackery?

Burning Wheel with a lot of reskinning would work, although that might be a bit too far on the crunchy side. I might just go with my first impulse and run it in Fiasco, although I will check out Covenant as well!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Plague of Hats posted:

I believe they downsized to three people.
None of which are a programmer.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
their CTO is, I thought

Covok
May 27, 2013

I like Torchbearer. Would I like Burning Wheel?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Probably, but not necessarily.

Torchbearer is hyper-focused on one thing - the dungeon cycle. It really benefits from that focus, providing that's the sort of thing you're into.

Burning Wheel offers a lot more freedom, and has a bunch of really fantastic systems that all work into one another, but it can be kind of overwhelming to take in all at once. It's also in love with similar but notably distinctive sub-systems for different types of tasks. The system as a whole suffers from being house-ruled, and from a gaming group that's not willing to engage with all the rules, though arguably less so in both cases than Torchbearer. There are two notable exceptions, though a lot of people don't consider them house rules so much as clarifications-of-intent: Wises as narrative power, and two-part beliefs both add a lot to the game, imo.

BW really shines in medium- to long-term campaign play. I can't speak about how well Torchbearer performs in campaign play, since I've never played it that way.

They're both based on the same core mechanic - roll Xd6, count successes, measure the result against an Ob. If you're comfortable with Torchbearer, you'll probably be comfortable with BW, though again it might seem a touch overwhelming at first.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Covok posted:

I like Torchbearer. Would I like Burning Wheel?

Yes, but because it's an amazing design, not because you like Torchbearer.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of Burning Wheel,

get hype for some Second Edition :kimchi: &:black101: !

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Any news on a release date yet?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I want to play Mouseguard at some point. I have that beginner box that was released a few years back and never got a chance to play. Man, someday I'll have time to learn and play the systems I own.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Any news on a release date yet?

The box set was at slated for the 30th of this month based on solicitations, but Petersen said there were some issues with the boxes themselves, so they're being redone. Crane has confirmed that it will not be available this month.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so I bought a copy of White Hack last month due to it being on sale, and it was supposed to arrive today but it hasn't arrived yet, I'm kinda worried though since the FedEx tracking claims it already arrived, now I'm worried I'm going to have to go through a whole mess of crap to deal with a lost package and it's kinda ticking me off, shouldn't have to be going through this sort of crap for a $5 book from Lulu

EDIT: nevermind, turns out it had arrived, Stepfather had apparently left it in the Garage earlier after it had been delivered and forgot about it till just a bit ago

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 4, 2015

Dec 26, 2012

Good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
also forgot to mention, Whitehack is a beautiful book, even the booklet version I bought, makes the minimalist style really work for it, gonna have some fun tweaking it into what I'm planning on doing with it(currently thinking it'll be a Space Fantasy game inspired by Strange Stars, Star Wars, Mass Effect, Destiny, some bits from Fallout and Borderlands, and some visual inspiration for "aliens" from All Tomorrows, all mixed into a early D&D inspired experience)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

yikes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh that's unfortunate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goon Project: Lets bash Monte Cook's skull with a Razer peripheral until his brain splatters all around.

• Locked thread