Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reddit is better than SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He gifted me the original Payday iirc but I never played it because I already had the sequel then.

Also lol at using your SA name on Reddit.

Some people just like using the same username everywhere, I use mine for 99% of my account names for example

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

paradoxGentleman posted:

We really need aomething like this in opposition to grognards.txt

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654381 Thread died. "Cause unknown."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

If its better over there, then why do you stick around here?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Please leave forever and make all your shitposts there then.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
People who get mad at Plutonis and Effectronica are sad people who I don't wish to speak to.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

People who get mad at Plutonis and Effectronica are sad people who I don't wish to speak to.

Didn't we ban you from BWF for transphobia? You're in with the right group, then.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Witchers are pretty much Gary Stu dick bags so it's a shades of gray dick bag story as opposed to a broader, open ended story. The writer of the Witcher is the Polish love child of George R.R. Martin and R.A. Salvatore.

Putting aside the Witcher for now even though I disagree with you, at least about the books in general, the terms Mary Sue/Gary Stu bug the poo poo out of me. Really they're supposed to refer to a specific type of fan fiction writing, the self-insert who fucks Kirk and is a better archer than Legolas and that sort of thing, not any character who is a protagonist.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
:stare:

This thread is starting to get a little weird

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love posting on Reddit about how Monsanto actually has been demonized by most people and how they actually do good work for farmers and how a Costco membership is "on fleek" but everyone gets negative when I say it here.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

You're right, these forums and the world in general would be a better place without you or Plutonis in them. :byewhore:

This attempt at owning me by agreeing with all the reprehensible distortions I make of people's posts is kinda lackluster. You need to work in some overly-specific intimations, I feel. Like, suggesting you'll beat me to death with copies of my favorite RPG, Rolemaster. Or making oblique threats against my pet frogs.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

SunAndSpring posted:

ah yes if only we opened our hearts to I'm A Gimmick Poster And My Gimmick Is Racism Guy and an abrasive weirdo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ningyou posted:

ah yes if only we opened our hearts to I'm A Gimmick Poster And My Gimmick Is Racism Guy and an abrasive weirdo

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

My gimmick is threats of violence, not racism.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Plutonis, help me out here. I've recently seen you post in the Ask/Tell military history thread. You're clearly capable of asking questions sincerely, you want to learn more about things and people, you're plenty knowledgeable about the history of South America. And then you post here and...you...just...

...why? What do you gain from being a troll and posting "ironically" and saying mean things and just being a jerk on this particular subforum? Why not act the way you do on the military history thread on the forum as a whole? Same with all the other people who leave those one-line snipes and talk down to other posters so condescendingly. If you're capable of posting sincerely, why not just...do so?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

this is more fun

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Here's a suggestion: if a poster makes a joke that isn't to your taste, ignore it rather than start a page long fight about it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

Plutonis, help me out here. I've recently seen you post in the Ask/Tell military history thread. You're clearly capable of asking questions sincerely, you want to learn more about things and people, you're plenty knowledgeable about the history of South America. And then you post here and...you...just...

...why? What do you gain from being a troll and posting "ironically" and saying mean things and just being a jerk on this particular subforum? Why not act the way you do on the military history thread on the forum as a whole? Same with all the other people who leave those one-line snipes and talk down to other posters so condescendingly. If you're capable of posting sincerely, why not just...do so?

I do it because I am not actually a human being, but a set of mystical instructions programmed into a statue by a Harappan sorceress to automate the process of mystical initiation. Acts of vandalism and the collapse of the Indus Valley civilization have warped these instructions to the point where I go around being a gadfly to provoke hypocritical, angry, and/or funny reactions from people on the Internet. It feels pretty good to get this off my chest.

Also because most of the people who I snipe at are uninterested in any kind of conversation or discussion they don't totally control, and I consider that to be unjust, and every day I wake up and say to myself, "Today, that boulder is getting to the top of that hill."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arivia posted:

Didn't we ban you from BWF for transphobia? You're in with the right group, then.

I don't remember that, but aren't you the retard who got mad about some dumb poem in a video game?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't remember that, but aren't you the retard who got mad about some dumb poem in a video game?

Nope. I'm the feminist who cares about the messages we send in media and acts to fix them. Nice try, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

Nope. I'm the feminist who cares about the messages we send in media and acts to fix them. Nice try, though.

There's only one feminist who does? Sounds like feminism needs to get its house in order.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

And then Effectronica hoped someone died, the end

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Everyone needs to calm the fudge down for a minute.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Effectronica posted:

There's only one feminist who does? Sounds like feminism needs to get its house in order.

Effectronica posted:

This attempt at owning me by agreeing with all the reprehensible distortions I make of people's posts is kinda lackluster. You need to work in some overly-specific intimations, I feel. Like, suggesting you'll beat me to death with copies of my favorite RPG, Rolemaster. Or making oblique threats against my pet frogs.

lol

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Traveller posted:

And then Effectronica hoped someone died, the end

Wroth as you are, your powers of English disperse, in such fashion that you twist a lament that feminism, among the noblest and most righteous causes of all human history, has fallen into so weak a state that only one feminist cares about the continuation of patriarchy through media, through the culture of the populace and of the elite, and an expression of hope that feminism will regenerate and the unjust, villainous, and infamous male-supremacist society we live in fall before its banner and be totally disintegrated, and the reign of justice come into play for the first time in human history so far as we know or can reasonably speculate- that this, you turn into an expression of blood-thirst. Well, shame on you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Effectronica posted:

Wroth as you are, your powers of English disperse, in such fashion that you twist a lament that feminism, among the noblest and most righteous causes of all human history, has fallen into so weak a state that only one feminist cares about the continuation of patriarchy through media, through the culture of the populace and of the elite, and an expression of hope that feminism will regenerate and the unjust, villainous, and infamous male-supremacist society we live in fall before its banner and be totally disintegrated, and the reign of justice come into play for the first time in human history so far as we know or can reasonably speculate- that this, you turn into an expression of blood-thirst. Well, shame on you.

translation: :gas:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Just put them on ignore you dummies.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

owned

Serf
May 5, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Just put them on ignore you dummies.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Why would you put one of the best parts of tgchat on ignore? Seems counterproductive imho

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Why would you put one of the best parts of tgchat on ignore? Seems counterproductive imho

I don't have Moola on ignore, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'll be frank here, and say that my dislike largely stems from the attitude on display. In this, prejudicial statements are OK to make, and prejudicial beliefs good to hold, against people, except in the particular cases of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, classism, and so on. That is, these definitions of people are essential. I hold a different belief, which is that prejudice is always wrong, and always will be wrong, and racism and sexism are merely what happens when you encourage prejudicial thinking and acting, creating a vast hierarchy of evils which are committed against all of humanity. I doubt that Traveller or anybody consciously believes that race is inherent to humanity, and that's the only reason why it's wrong to be racially prejudiced, but I do feel that that's the only way people's actions make sense, not just here, but in many other cases.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Okay, so you believe that some other prejudice is at play in these forums. Now we are getting somewhere. I don't know where that somewhere is but we are getting there.

What sort of prejudice do you feel are unjustly tolerated here?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Well, uh, about actual game stuff, I did character creation with my Hellenistic WFRP group. We've got a Greek grave robber whose dad died fighting for Ptolemy II, a German Ogre Maneater who fought as a gladiator, a native Egyptian goat-healer turned witch, and a Bedouin elf apothecary who's a lesser son of a minor chief out on his own. We're starting the adventures in Alexandria and we'll go from there.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, so you believe that some other prejudice is at play in these forums. Now we are getting somewhere. I don't know where that somewhere is but we are getting there.

What sort of prejudice do you feel are unjustly tolerated here?

That's not what I said. I said that people are quite willing to engage in prejudicial thinking, and to enact that prejudicial thinking by making various comments, such as about how nerds are all one thing, or that the world would be better if certain posters were dead, or interpreting everything a certain poster says through a monomaniacal lens. Most of them profess opposition to racism, to sexism, to homophobia and transphobia, and so on.

So, either we believe that prejudice is part of those things, or we don't. The latter case is hardly sustainable, saying as it does that there is nothing racist about the use of racial slurs. So racial prejudice is part of racism, sexual prejudice part of sexism, and so on. Furthermore, we can see historically how prejudices are enacted in order to generate racism, homophobia, etc. (sexism dating too far back to really see in progress, though we can see its advance through the enactment of prejudices).

But we see people engaging in prejudicial behaviors, and these are underlain by prejudicial thinking. Therefore, they must believe that there are certain types of prejudice that are acceptable and certain types that are unacceptable. This in turn either requires a convenient set of acceptable prejudices that Occam's Razor slashes apart, or a belief that only certain prejudices are unacceptable. The likeliest explanation is simply an unconscious belief that sex and race are "real" categories it's wrong to be prejudiced against, while other categories are "fake" and it's OK to be prejudiced against them.

But race and sex are totally arbitrary in the sense that they are mere descriptors that have no value beyond their literal definitions which is not generated by discrimination. They are also arbitrary in the sense that they are categories that are placed on top of real human differences (though this is not so obvious with sex as with race, it's still quite true) and similarities. There is no way to say that prejudice is okay in certain situations without generating a specific set of categories against which it's OK to be prejudiced, which has not happened and still would be fairly weak, I suspect.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here's some prejudice for you, Effectronica: go die in a tire fire, you piece of poo poo. Done!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ugh, I feel like poo poo today and I open up my browser to this.

In other news, it only took a week for a PC to die in my new game. That's not a record, even for me, but I realized I missed the drama that comes from actual stakes in a game that isn't really present in my other gaming activities.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Arivia posted:

For the dire crime of thinking Elminster is good, I hereby strip you of your rank and privileges. May goddess have mercy on your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I am not equipped to handle a discussion like this at 1 am. I'll read your post again in the morning and see if it makes sense then.

• Locked thread