Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to play a Fighter Glaive in Numenera, with exciting abilities like:

quote:

Pierce (1 Speed point): This is a well-aimed, penetrating ranged attack. You make an attack and inflict 1 additional point of damage if your weapon has a sharp point. Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Goon Project: Lets bash Monte Cook's skull with a Razer peripheral until his brain splatters all around.

Monte Cook may be a moron when it comes to crunch, but there's people in the industry much more worthy of getting their brains bashed out(Mearls currently tops the list in my opinion)

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Covok posted:

To start things off, why not a quick discussion on your best gaming experience this year, so far?

I've been in ProfessorCirno's 13A IRC game for almost a year! It kind of owns! Cirno's a great GM and lets us gently caress around when we get the chance and I have a lot of fun doing just that. From the top of my head, one major highlight would be our rogue using her Prince of Shadows heritage to dismantle a heavily barred and warded fortress by reducing it conceptually to a simple lock (that she can pick open).

Close to that, best experience-wise, would be playing audience to a 5e game during a mini-convention. I'm meh over 5e in general, but the table was great and a lot of laughs were had.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Memo Kosemen's work is really cool. You might consider checking out All Yesterdays and All Your Yesterdays, in which he collaborates with paleoartist John Conway and paleontologist Darren Naish to create a sort of alien view of our own natural history.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's pretty apparent Lotfp just uses over the top gore and other edgy material because it's the only thing that separates it from other bland and derivative OSR games. Not even in a way that's clever or pays homage to anything, just to be shocking and disgusting. Even going to their website is revolting and it doesn't help that a good deal of the pictures I've seen or remember are of violence against women.

EDIT:

Qelong by Ken Hite is cool but it's Ken Hite.

What's wrong with Ken Hite? Suppressed Transmission is excellent background material stuff - I don't tend to care for his rules writing but his historybashing is gold.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I thought Qelong was a pretty cool setting from the F&F review. There are some parts to it, but it's more because it's hitched onto the LOTFP wagon than anything else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Memo Kosemen's work is really cool. You might consider checking out All Yesterdays and All Your Yesterdays, in which he collaborates with paleoartist John Conway and paleontologist Darren Naish to create a sort of alien view of our own natural history.

I've read All Your Yesterdays before, it's pretty good, still need to read All Yesterdays though, also surprised you didn't mention Snaiad which is also worth stealing from

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My fave game experience this year has been a Laundry Files LARP set in the secret occult annex at Bletchley Park.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mimir posted:

What's wrong with Ken Hite? Suppressed Transmission is excellent background material stuff - I don't tend to care for his rules writing but his historybashing is gold.

I think what they were saying was more "Qelong by Ken Hite is cool, but it's Ken Hite, so of course it is."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mimir posted:

Nothing, he's a great writer and nice guy. I meant that as it's great because it's Ken Hite and everything he does is incredibly competent* to great.

*The Decipher Star Trek system was bad.

EDIT:

unseenlibrarian posted:

I think what they were saying was more "Qelong by Ken Hite is cool, but it's Ken Hite, so of course it is."

Exactly.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 4, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So I heard that a setting I hear from time to time called Glorantha has apparently the best lore since Middle Earth; I would like to check it out, what would you recommend? For now I've been reading the Prince of Sartar webcomic:
http://www.princeofsartar.com/

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I heard that a setting I hear from time to time called Glorantha has apparently the best lore since Middle Earth; I would like to check it out, what would you recommend? For now I've been reading the Prince of Sartar webcomic:

There's a video game set in Glorantha called King of Dragon Pass. It's sort of a hybrid strategy/RPG game that has it all: going on hero quests to re-enact mythical stories for blessings from the gods, ducks, cattle raids and trying to keep the myriad deities from screwing your tribe over. It's pretty much abandonware at this point, and it's a pretty good game for getting a good glimpse of the stuff that makes Glorantha cool.

It's also aged surprisingly well: it was released at that time when games were moving towards using 3D graphics for everything but was done entirely in really pretty 2D.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ratpick posted:

There's a video game set in Glorantha called King of Dragon Pass. It's sort of a hybrid strategy/RPG game that has it all: going on hero quests to re-enact mythical stories for blessings from the gods, ducks, cattle raids and trying to keep the myriad deities from screwing your tribe over. It's pretty much abandonware at this point, and it's a pretty good game for getting a good glimpse of the stuff that makes Glorantha cool.

It's also aged surprisingly well: it was released at that time when games were moving towards using 3D graphics for everything but was done entirely in really pretty 2D.

Seconding this. If you want something to read, Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes or Pavis: Gateway to Adventure are good.

Guide to Glorantha is by far the best Glorantha resource, but it's basically a textbook and it's a billion pages so it's not really good for an introduction.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Ratpick posted:

Abandonware? The original is on GoG, there's and iOS and Android version with additional content and some reduced complexity (in a good way), which just got a Steam port like a month ago. It's like the exact opposite of abandonware.

Still a super good game and totally worth buying!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Incredibly enough, my old Ipad whose software I can no longer update beyond 5.something can just barely contain this game. Surely this is a good omen.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

CaptCommy posted:

Abandonware? The original is on GoG, there's and iOS and Android version with additional content and some reduced complexity (in a good way), which just got a Steam port like a month ago. It's like the exact opposite of abandonware.

Still a super good game and totally worth buying!

I did not know that! Admittedly it was many years ago, but I recall at some point you could get it for free online because the copyright holders had no interest in it any more, but I guess that has now changed! Thanks for the correction. :)

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I've read All Your Yesterdays before, it's pretty good, still need to read All Yesterdays though, also surprised you didn't mention Snaiad which is also worth stealing from

I did not realize Snaiad was back online!

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Ratpick posted:

I did not know that! Admittedly it was many years ago, but I recall at some point you could get it for free online because the copyright holders had no interest in it any more, but I guess that has now changed! Thanks for the correction. :)

In addition to being the opposite of abandonware, there is a sequel coming! It's called Six Ages. http://www.pcgamer.com/king-of-dragon-pass-is-finally-getting-a-sequel-called-six-ages/

It may have been available for free at one point - it didn't sell too great originally - but it's surprisingly well-suited to tablets and the rights holders realized this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't know if this is confirmed anywhere but I'm pretty sure that the game entering digital publication, going on Steam, etc. was all kicked off by the internet rediscovering it through Let's Plays.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was more that GOG managed to break its copy protection even after the original developers themselves said they couldn't do it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

paradoxGentleman posted:

Fun fact: the artist for Prince of Sartar is a goon.

Anyway, sources,

The unoffical glorantha tumblr is actually good. Lots of random in-depth lore.

Within the a year Chaosium should be releasing the Glorantha Sourcebook, which will be the best entry point to the setting.

After that, Heroquest: Glorantha is a good starting point. It's probably about 3/4ths setting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If i wanted to try D&D 4e where would be a good place? I haven't seen a 4e game pop up in recruitment in awhile.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Periodically check on Roll20 for a random 4e game to pop up. Apply for the game but never hear back from the DM because there are about 20 players for every one DM. Repeat this process four or five times until you finally get in a game. Then despair as you realize just how godawful the average person on the internet is at DMing (and that's not even getting into your fellow players).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Get someone to run a "D&D" game using Strike?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Crotch posted:

Periodically check on Roll20 for a random 4e game to pop up. Apply for the game but never hear back from the DM because there are about 20 players for every one DM. Repeat this process four or five times until you finally get in a game. Then despair as you realize just how godawful the average person on the internet is at DMing (and that's not even getting into your fellow players).
And really, the bolded bit is the worst part. So many people claim they want to DM, then can't loving show up on time. Or at all. Or they show up and then say "oops, forgot to plan a session tonight!" Or their brilliant story idea is literally some ripoff of a ripoff anime's plot with the serial number kind of scratched at. And then you find someone who can show up with a fully formed original thought, and they're a furry who wants to drag you into their magical realm every other session. Or they want to run something that would be right at home as a Cthulhutech module.

People in general are disappointments but at least lovely players are easily replaced.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

remusclaw posted:

The world is not binary, The bad may have good ideas, and the good may have bad. Master of Ceremonies sounds OK, if still a little pompous.

just LOL if you don't call yourself a hollyhock god for every game you master and also in real life.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I suppose if you want to take it as far as it will go, that is as good a title as any. As long no one takes it seriously, anything goes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If you think about it, Dungeon Master is probably the worst of the bunch. Sounds like an amateur BDSM enthusiast.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:catstare: Ok. I have never heard of this before and it is a singular piece of ... well lets call it "art". Thanks for posting it.

Ratpick posted:

Is there an RPG out there that is about the major political leaders in a single-party totalitarian state vying for power? Basically, something like Paranoia except with the players as the higher-ups instead of the grunts.

I could see it as a Fiasco playbook, but I might want something more meaty.

Kai Tave posted:

Well there's literally a supplement for Paranoia about playing High Programmers if that's your thing.

Agreeing with Kai here. High Programmers has rules for this RPG/card game that is supposed to model how High Programmers spread influence through the Paranoia world, embezzle funding for secret projects, and pit secret societies against each other and the Computer. The consequences of all these shenanigans actually explains quite well why the Paranoia universe is so screwed up. IIRC the rules looked fairly complex and interesting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

If you think about it, Dungeon Master is probably the worst of the bunch. Sounds like an amateur BDSM enthusiast.
Let's start calling them the Donjon Maestro.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This weekend in LA is Gateway 2015.

We'll be running several Spirit of 77 games, including a full blown LARP.

My costume is glorious and you should all some and play.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I am crazy, or at least I was, but I got better, I think. Maybe? I don't know, I'm on more pills now than when I was committed last month (yes, I spent a week in a psychiatric hospital, it was not fun) but in an effort to keep me from thinking about killing myself again, I'm going to start tabletop gaming again!

I already put up a new recruitment thread.

This has been your 'what is up with Kwyndig' status update.

xiw posted:

My fave game experience this year has been a Laundry Files LARP set in the secret occult annex at Bletchley Park.

Also I must know more about this, it sounds amazing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Yawgmoth posted:

Or they show up and then say "oops, forgot to plan a session tonight!"

If I forget (or "forget") to prep a session, that doesn't slow me down beyond having to quickly GIS a map to drag into Roll20.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Kwyndig posted:

I am crazy, or at least I was, but I got better, I think. Maybe? I don't know, I'm on more pills now than when I was committed last month (yes, I spent a week in a psychiatric hospital, it was not fun) but in an effort to keep me from thinking about killing myself again, I'm going to start tabletop gaming again!

Here's the blurb. I won't say much about how it went because mad spoilers (and also it's So Classified and demons will eat me)

The Gehenna Memo

Bletchley Park – the most secret place in the British war effort. Five thousand boffins and debs work on cracking German codes. The resulting intelligence, code-named ULTRA, is so secret that entire cities have been sacrificed to protect it.

But there are secrets here even darker than ULTRA.

While the staff of Bletchley are discouraged from talking about their work, everyone knows that There Is No Hut 13. The eyes just slide off it. And in that gap in people’s minds, the Research Section of Special Operations Executive division 3 – also known as the “Laundry” – works on countering Hitler’s magical war effort. Officially, their job is to research the implications of the newly-discovered Dee-Turing theorem and its applications to the war effort. In practice, they’re the crisis team. And the crises just keep on coming. Byakhee night-fighters, oneiromantic debriefing, glamoured infiltrators – the mathematicians, old-school sorcerers, and computers of the Research Section have found solutions to them all.

And now they have a new crisis: REVELATION. The Nazis are close to completing their secret Wannsee Invocation, and the latest intelligence is that if they are successful, they will win the war in a matter of months. The Research Section needs to come up with a strategic response, and fast. But the cost of winning the war may very well be destroying the world…

THE GEHENNA MEMO is a larp of bureaucracy, sorcery, espionage, and Lovecraftian horror, inspired by The Atrocity Archives and ENIGMA.

It's being run again in Cheltenhem in a few weeks apparently.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Yawgmoth posted:

People in general are disappointments but at least lovely players are easily replaced.

Amen to that.

Although sometimes, if the DM lets you know in advance, [Anime X but kinda not] can be fun, provided you go big with playing [Anime X].

Although generally, that's why you should be upfront about the premise to players, and let them anonymously let you know what they want/don't in your game and alter/ignore accordingly.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jimbozig posted:

If I forget (or "forget") to prep a session, that doesn't slow me down beyond having to quickly GIS a map to drag into Roll20.
Same when I GM, and improv capability is the hallmark of a good GM. But I've had a few that go "I forgot/didn't have time to plan anything, so tonight's session is just gonna be you guys chatting IC." And that can be a fine session sometimes, but every third session? Not so much.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Sorry to hear what you've been through, and while I'd be interested in a M&M game, the setting you're going to use is way too Iron Age for my tastes

Helical Nightmares posted:

:catstare: Ok. I have never heard of this before and it is a singular piece of ... well lets call it "art". Thanks for posting it.

Agreeing with Kai here. High Programmers has rules for this RPG/card game that is supposed to model how High Programmers spread influence through the Paranoia world, embezzle funding for secret projects, and pit secret societies against each other and the Computer. The consequences of all these shenanigans actually explains quite well why the Paranoia universe is so screwed up. IIRC the rules looked fairly complex and interesting.

Look up Man After Man sometime, in many respects it's way more disturbing than All Tomorrows is

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So I'm about to start GMing a game using FATE Core as none of the Fate adaptation games seemed super interesting to me, and I was wondering how big of a deal it is to mess around with the default skills, since some of them seemed kind of redundant (empathy doesn't seem to have much reason to exist when rapport does aside from being "the mental healing skill"), and I don't really like how like two skills determine your extra stress tracks. I know reworking the skills is encouraged, but I'm also afraid of merging certain ones and accidentally creating do-everything skills; are the core skills pretty finely balanced, or is the encouragement to experiment there to indicate it's pretty laissez-faire?

Additionally, how difficult would my players' lives be if I made mental stress a sort of insanity/general composure thing rather than keeping it as a more separate emotional wellbeing thing as it seems to be in the core rules?

drrockso20 posted:

Look up Man After Man sometime, in many respects it's way more disturbing than All Tomorrows is

Man After Man always struck me as sort of low-key absurdist, which I don't get from All Tomorrows (which I didn't know existed until you linked it, thanks!). That might have more to do with MAM being a product of its time though, since All Tomorrows hits on more contemporary body horror vibes and I don't really know enough about the kind of speculative pseudoevolution MAM coexisted with.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Lobster posted:

So I'm about to start GMing a game using FATE Core as none of the Fate adaptation games seemed super interesting to me, and I was wondering how big of a deal it is to mess around with the default skills, since some of them seemed kind of redundant (empathy doesn't seem to have much reason to exist when rapport does aside from being "the mental healing skill"), and I don't really like how like two skills determine your extra stress tracks. I know reworking the skills is encouraged, but I'm also afraid of merging certain ones and accidentally creating do-everything skills; are the core skills pretty finely balanced, or is the encouragement to experiment there to indicate it's pretty laissez-faire?

It shouldn't be that big a deal provided you're clear on what each skill does. Atomic Robo consolidates the skill list even further from the Fate Core default for example into the following:

Athletics
Burglary
Combat
Contacts
Deceive
Empathy
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Stealth
Vehicles
Will

It still has Empathy which you could probably fold into Rapport if you wanted without much being lost. Fate writers' insistence on sticking with the whole "X points in Y skill raises your stress tracks by Z" thing is dumb as hell, and Atomic Robo manages to make it even more convoluted and confusing in an attempt to try and make it less demanding and it's honestly just a mess. Either give everyone the same stress track if you're using a single-track setup and use stunts to mechanically represent someone's resilience in the face of certain types of adversity or if you're using a multi-track setup then give everyone the same number of "points" to assign as they see fit. In Atomic Robo it's easier to just say "you have seven stress boxes split between Physical and Mental, minimum of 2 and maximum of 5."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Kai Tave posted:

It shouldn't be that big a deal provided you're clear on what each skill does. Atomic Robo consolidates the skill list even further from the Fate Core default for example into the following:

Athletics
Burglary
Combat
Contacts
Deceive
Empathy
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Stealth
Vehicles
Will

It still has Empathy which you could probably fold into Rapport if you wanted without much being lost. Fate writers' insistence on sticking with the whole "X points in Y skill raises your stress tracks by Z" thing is dumb as hell, and Atomic Robo manages to make it even more convoluted and confusing in an attempt to try and make it less demanding and it's honestly just a mess. Either give everyone the same stress track if you're using a single-track setup and use stunts to mechanically represent someone's resilience in the face of certain types of adversity or if you're using a multi-track setup then give everyone the same number of "points" to assign as they see fit. In Atomic Robo it's easier to just say "you have seven stress boxes split between Physical and Mental, minimum of 2 and maximum of 5."

Awesome, thanks! Our skill list ended up looking a lot like that with a few renames for flavor, plus dividing up crafts into Old Tech/New Tech (main hook is extradimensional incursions leading to magitech) as well as making the magic separate from Lore because being well-read equating to being good at magic was always one of my least favorite D&D tropes. Also good to know the stress track thing is basically whatever works, as we were planning on having 3 for each and then a single "make it count" 4-box that could be used for either.

Is there any way to track down various games' subsystems aside from just buying the games outright? We were going to use the gem tokens from Splendor (which deserves all the praise it gets) to keep track of FATE points and thought it would be fun to tie the colors into magic somehow, or maybe give the players some way to translate them from being metafictional to having more solid in-game representations, but the only system I can think that would have anything resembling some sort of bonus plot-loot system would be Anglerre, which from what I know is decidedly too crunchy for what we're looking for.

• Locked thread