Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

That's pretty hosed up. Conformity as a moral is pretty hosed up.

It totally works for a lot of places.

Dissenting opinions just give other people a compelling reason to want to gently caress with you, IMO.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Really though, the idea that Eric the Cavalier can just say whatever he likes without any risk of ostracism, derision, or verbal abuse from the rest of his adventuring party is dangerously right-wing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Oh my god, shut up, you're trash.

*nods* Yeah, like that! :haw:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
To put it bluntly, conformity is just good social skills. Conformity with what doesn't really matter, just going along with whatever group you roll with believes or says is a safe plan. Whining and moaning constantly over whatever everyone around you agrees with just causes more problems, and it won't convince anyone. If Eric bitches constantly then he should not be surprised if he gets shat on, either by the Dungeon Master or the rest of his friends.

Just because Eric can, physically, say whatever he likes doesn't mean that it won't cause problems for him. It's a good lesson to teach kids, because it's true.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Right! I never watched this cartoon, but just reading the second paragraph of that quote you'd think they were describing the stereotypical D&D player that doesn't want to go with the rest of the party because reasons and has to be strongarmed into participating in the quest.

More or less, everyone in the show was whisked off to a fantasy world at random. So being a little pissed off is understandable, but if this were happening in someone's game, Eric's player would be kicked out of the game, and if this was something that happened to actual people, the Eric of the group would've probably been murdered or something.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

The thing was, the D&D cartoon tended to make Eric -right-. Most of the time, if they'd listened to him, they'd have gotten the gently caress home instead of playing along with their psychotic hobbit kidnapper.

Yeah, but that's because, as was established, the writer resented the message but was forced to write it in regardless.

There are plenty of other shows that played that message straight.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

The Deleter posted:

The cafeteria at work has a small bookshelf where people leave books they've read. I wandered over to it today and found, to my surprise, a copy of Elminster.

Didn't make it past the first paragraph before I felt compelled to put it down. Correct decision?

Ed Greenwood wrote a story about a viking dude leading a slave revolt against dark elves, and somehow managed to make it incredibly boring.

R.A. Salvatore wouldn't have hosed up that premise, no sir.

Forums Terrorist posted:

alternatively perhaps kids should be encouraged to state the relative merits of their proposed course of action so people get why doing what they want would be better

Provided they also get told they are trash for trying to do so, for added realism. :iamafag:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

There was a Forgotten Realms book about a swashbuckling thief/mage type, set in Ravens Bluff, that I remember enjoying even after leaving beyond the rest the licensed books.

I think the Forgotten Realms book I liked the most was the one where a bard in the Moonsea teamed up with a swordsman from Kara-Tur to find some magic cloth that was stolen from the latter's family.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I disagree, Undertale is basically a million times better and funnier. MGS5 ain't got poo poo on this.

Both things are fun, actually.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Saguaro PI posted:

The first Witcher is a game that gives you a conflict between a rag-tag group of freedom fighters trying to stop their races being genocided and a xenophobic religious order and then goes "there are no good or bad options, it's all shades of grey". gently caress the first Witcher.

The xenophobes had the advantage of having Seigfried, an extremely friendly NPC only in it to hunt monsters as its face, whereas the freedom fighters had Yaevinn, who tries to rob a bank and all your dwarf friends advise keeping away from him. Then again, the former group was just a front for the actual villains of the story, while the latter are just one part of a bigger movement. The Scoie'tal get a better shake in the second game by having an elf leader who's willing to be friends with humans that aren't total shitters, and is on much better terms with your dwarf buddies.

Basically it's a group of baddies that has a nice guy who is treated as a useful idiot front and center, while the other side is less villainous in its aims but is led by a tool.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 22, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

01011001 posted:

This is the case more so than any strange reductionist interpretation. On top of that, the "useful idiot" gains prominence if you actually take that path, though the organization isn't wildly better for it in the end.

Not that it matters much because both serve the main goal of reflecting how you think Geralt considers himself (human vs not, and to what degree), and because it doesn't really matter after the first game.

Yeah. Though I think the real lesson, what with the neutral option being arguably the best is, 'don't let yourself get involved in strangers' feuds'

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

ettin: FRIEND TO MURDERERS??????????? OR JUST MURDERERS OF GOOD TASTE

also aaaa plague of hats that's p. heartwarming

It's true, Plutonis has a deep bond with Ettin that only being buds on Steam can bring.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
:stare:

This thread is starting to get a little weird

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't remember that, but aren't you the retard who got mad about some dumb poem in a video game?

The Pillars of Eternity one? Yeah.

I think bans on BadWrongFun lost all meaning around the time Rand Brittain got banned by Arivia "because I'm in a bad mood" from what I heard.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

For the dire crime of thinking Elminster is good, I hereby strip you of your rank and privileges. May goddess have mercy on your soul.

It's okay, I think Exalted is good, so stones, glass houses, etc.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

BrainParasite posted:

All humanity should be slowly and painfully executed in random order. It's the only fair and permanent solution to societal problems.

Same but it should also be televised for the amusement of the ones whose numbers haven't come up yet.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

Please continue to be mad that I'm removing people like you for being creepy and offensive. It's funny.

No, I mean that's literally what I was told later on. You said to him: "I'm in a bad mood and that's all the justification I need." I don't know if it's true that's why you banned him or not, but I can't really be mad if it was, it's a private channel.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

George R.R. Martin was in reference to the aspect of the Witcher where every female character is half naked, more HBO than the books, and Geralt getting around.

Sarpkowski is a hack, yeah, but I think the games' writers were able to tell good stories with the characters and the setting they were given.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

I swear when I find the guy who keeps putting up those anime posters on my Mother Base I am gonna throw him overboard. I'll bet its Huey. Its Huey isn't it? gently caress Huey.

I can't say no to a free 500 GMP every time I come by.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Apparently if you take them down consistently enough a soldier will complain that they're expensive, who keeps doing this.

And remember that Kazuhira Miller is the japanophile on board. My money's on him being involved in producing them.

Kaz is actually Japanese, so he gets a free pass. Dude's just celebrating his culture.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

for someone who claims to think bwf bans are meaningless you sure can't let poo poo go haha

I still burn with childlike curiosity over whether or not it's true :unsmith:

quote:

the answer will be revealed in my new thread, "[Ask] me about my Phantom Pain AU where Quiet and Ocelot's models got swapped and Ocelot really loving likes Weird Anachronistic War Criminal Idolmas"

swapping ocelot with D-Dog is funnier.

Swapping D-Dog with Quiet is terrifying

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

look at this fuckin bad opinion haver

quiet moving and acting like d-dog and soaking up War Criminal Solidarity Tummyrubs or w/e and occasionally pulling an electric knife out of her bikini top to shank ppl but in a cuddly nonlethal way is basically ~MY FURSONA~ and also amazing

I just meant having a doggy do sexy poses at you is traumatizing D:

D-Dog I raised you better than this. I'm your puppy-daddy and you are grounded young hound :(

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ningyou posted:

idk i wouldn't really argue with getting treats and walks and pettings and a comfy doggy bed shaped like mother base and a little d-walker chew toy that i sniff at once and then ignore forever because so dulllllllllllllllll

for some reason i can't bring myself to care about using or upgrading d-walker when i have cute murderpuppy and cool+slightly embarrassing gal pal

The problem with D-Walker is that you have no bond with it, and it was built by Huey "Judas Iscariot" Emmerich

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

otoh pet play is extremely the poo poo

what have i done

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't ask me, you're the one living in a shotgun shack.

Same as it ever was :smith:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Tell me about it

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Isn't Snake sprinting with the sprint upgrade faster than D-Horse, too?

Also, bringing captured vehicles with you on missions or free roam has zero deployment cost, unlike D-Horse itself. :psyduck:

Basically D-Horse is irrelevant as soon as you get the cargo Fulton

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Slimnoid posted:

Is he researching what I think he's researching?

It's the Yellow Sign, you uncultured buffoon!!!!!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

....I never made that connection until now.

Speaking of Krull there is a GBS thread about it too.

The Glaive looks nothing like the Yellow Sign AAAAAAa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

I always wondered how the Yellow Sign drove men mad. Now I know.

:3: nyohoho

• Locked thread