Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

To start things off, why not a quick discussion on your best gaming experience this year, so far?
The finale of the 13th Age organized play, which I admit I completely rewrote to make it more interesting for the group. They were level 10 instead of 8, and I changed the last fight from "fight a vampire and some liches" to a Squaresoft boss fight where the vampire grew to enmormous size and they fought its head and hands. The fight was won by the half-orc barbarian both hands at once with a Cleave and leaping in slow-motion into the giant vamp's mouth while raging (and critting). I even had Children Of The Grave playing so it was indeed :rock: :black101: as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For those who don't read the Industry thread but would like a "laugh": Goblinworks (the Pathfinder MMO people) just announced that Ryan Dancey has left the company for "personal reasons". Oh, and that they had to downsize to like four people, but I'm sure that's completely unrelated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Drone posted:

Actually I know jack poo poo about AW but I've been interested in it for quite awhile.. isn't a 2nd edition coming out really soon? Is it even worth it to get 1st edition stuff right now?
There is a second edition coming out "soon", in that it's being worked on. That being said, that's still a great deal for WWW, Monsterhearts, and MotW.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Also, Apocalypse World 1e (if that's what it's being called now) is still a really, really, really good game.
Also true. It's good to see where and how it all started.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What?

quote:

Register Now!!!

For SynnCon September 19, 2015

Come and learn Synnibarr in this one day event designed to teach you how to play.
Raven McCracken and the creators of the game will be there with our team of Synners in a series of events that will lead you through the rules and have you adventuring.
Member of the Synners team will be available while you play to lead you the rules and answer your questions.

What?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Content: I'm trying to sell my 5e-loving friends on 13th Age. How would the more eloquent of you make the case for 13A over D&D?
The big ones I can think of off the top of my head is that it's a lot easier to make your character mechanically unique with the free-form backgrounds and OUT, Icon relationships that tie you to the setting in interesting ways, and that combats are pretty quick.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I think the free-form stuff is turning some of my group off, they seem to want things with clearly defined mechanical effects. One thing that has specifically been mentioned as a net positive in D&D's favor is the massive spell list. Not the kinds of spells, just that there are a lot to choose from, apparently.

I need more friends.
:sympathy:

An internet friend told me once that the "gamer culture" in his part of the country is basically that people everything they can do spelled out on their sheets, so when the GM asks what they're going to do the first thing they automatically look at their sheets to see what they can do.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fosborb posted:

Many systems penalize improvisation to such an extent that if you don't frame your actions within your narrow skills you're just hail marying, burning bennies, or relying on a nebulous rule of cool.

I blame character sheets. 13a doesn't have this problem, for instance, because you decide to do something and then flavor it with a background. With defined skill lists, you decide to do something and then check to make sure it doesn't fit under an untrained skill. Often times it's just faster and less frustrating to start with your set skills as the entirety of your actions.
I don't think it's character sheets so much as the fact that until relatively recently, the idea of "failing forward" or failure being interesting wasn't a huge thing in games. If you flubbed the roll, then you were done and possibly wasted your action/turn/whatever.

So people get locked into the "failure is BAD because it's a stopper" mindset, so have to know what they can do that will not fail. Then you get games like *World where failure is actually interesting and drives things forward and people don't understand that you can play an RPG and not be worried about making a bad roll.

I'm sure that people being punished by killer GMs for bad rolls is part of the equation too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

Whoa.

FFG just bought L5R.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Looks like the plan is to wind down the current CCG then relaunch it in 2017 as a Living Card Game.

That's probably for the best. I imagine it'd do better as a LCG.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Favored Enemy: Hatchbacks

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You know, if you can't handle people saying anything negative about your work, regardless of how polite or correct they might be, you might not be cut out for a creative field like this one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I kind of get the impression that's what they meant, but their statement leans more in the other direction.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

If new Cthulutech is like old Cthulutech, you could actually point out that there's legitimately triggering poo poo in there to sexual assault survivors for example, though.

The writers of Cthulutech have specifically stated that they realized how lovely all the triggering stuff was in the first edition, and are trying to make good in this new one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Now people can go places where they can have a real discussion! Like their Facebook page!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about MGSV or Witcher 3. :(

I do have Splatoon, though. I just haven't played much lately because I've been chewing through Mad Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I kinda want one of these.

• Locked thread