Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

My best gaming experience so far this year was a FATE game about crazy races all sharing an archipelago world that didn't really get far off the ground because people stopped posting.

I wish I had more gaming experiences.

Hey this was from ages ago but sorry this died. :( I might resurrect it someday.

Also my best gaming experience so far is 13th Age with my friends, having them fight off an invading undead army and kick a necromancer off his tower. Now my players are going to try and take down the Empire simply because it's the Empire, and also chasing Lady Satan into hell because she tried to steal something of theirs. It's a blast but I keep thinking that switching to a system with way less rolling and superfluous stats, like Strike. Also thinking of picking up Dungeon Saga for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Plague of Hats posted:

Honestly, the skill list is probably the worst part of Fate Core. It's bloated and fiddly and doesn't feel nearly as DIY as the rest. It really doesn't fit in with the rest of the system.

I don't mind Fate's skill system - the list is fairly short, generally doesn't contain fiddly or superfluous poo poo like "use rope" or "swim" or whatever the gently caress, and you can make your own. I don't like how they're tied to the Approaches. It's not enough to have a common/narrative sense approach for using Skills, they have to have a list of HOW they can be used, and I have to look that poo poo up every time instead of just going "Okay, I've got Contacts, so I could create an advantage by getting my boys to put the squeeze on him" or something. A better way to construct/present it might be to have the Approaches as things you do, and then adding the Skill bonus if its relevant, rather than having to look up a Skill and then figure out if you're allowed to do what you want with it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TurninTrix posted:

Just to clarify, Approaches in Fate are a different thing to what you're talking about (the Four Actions).

I do dig your idea a lot, though I feel if you're going to abstract skills to that extent, might as well toss them out and take the relevant bonus from your Aspects instead. Or take the same tack as FAE does with the Approaches. :v:

Whoops! Yeah, that's right. I agree with your assessment there actually - Fate kind of assumes something is being added to the roll, or rather, that you start with the skill's value and the roll modifies THAT, so making the skills situational results in weird cases where you might not add anything at all, so having the Approaches is probably best.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's always a Scorpion trick.

Always.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The cafeteria at work has a small bookshelf where people leave books they've read. I wandered over to it today and found, to my surprise, a copy of Elminster.

Didn't make it past the first paragraph before I felt compelled to put it down. Correct decision?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Good to know.

There's also a bunch of Michael Crichton on there, but it's the Lost World and other stuff that isn't Jurassic Park.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Aced my probation at work, got a HWK-290 for X-Wing on the way. Life is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm very upset that the Shadowrun contact option of shark lawyer isn't a shark who is a lawyer.

• Locked thread