Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A recent session in my ongoing 4E campaign went really extremely well: we hit an excellent balance between combat and noncombat parts, I hit upon a puzzle idea that was both a perfect mechanical representation of "summon a spirit" because it worked according to actual occult principles and fit perfectly with the grid-based movement system, and my players were proactive, steered the action and came up with a really clever plan to solve a problem which may be an everyday thing for a lot of people but I take my small victories over their tendency to get bogged down in pessimistic overplanning where I can get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is Dorian Gray, technically, a lich?
You hear the sound of four months' worth of - as it turns out, subpar - undead adventure notes being crumpled up and thrown away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of the Shadow of the Colossus soundtrack during battles. There's a nice dynamic ebb and flow to it. Most other fantasy soundtracks I found were uniformly pompous or the old standby of chorals without much melody. In theory Final Fantasy music would be great, in practice it loops after a few seconds and when a combat takes an hour...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man, this guy I used to play with had the biggest thing about theme songs. When he DMed he'd bug me about what my character's theme song was for weeks after the game was already well underway. Eventually I said something just to get him to shut up and he never used it. When he played he joined our existing party and when the DM introduced him he was like "hold on!", fiddled with an MP3 player and played a tinny version of what was recognizably some FFVI character's motif while dramatically placing his mini on the table.

Good guy but am I glad we moved past his RPG style.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The hubcap shield makes that story. Dude was just hoping to find a better one in the loot parcel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Guys, this is super boring, you all can summon fire and magic wolves and all I can do is swing my sword, and half the time I don't even get to do that because you solve all the problems with one spell."
"Shut up, Eric, it's called verisimilitude."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ningyou posted:

wellllllllllllllll i will never not be glad i didn't loving listen to the tapes in ground zeroes
That's not even the worst thing on those.

Arguably, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm picturing Monstrous Regiment, but starring the stoning crowd from Life of Brian.

• Locked thread