Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My brother got us to play Spyfall the other weekend, which was really tense and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Error 404 posted:

There isn't any single experience, but playing pbp on sa continues to own.

I second that. I feel like I could really start a few more and still keep up, and the players have been great so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

I hate to say it, but the gaming den's term "master of ceremonies" is growing on me for super-lite drinking game rpgs to keep away from the "game master" slash "dungeon master" terminology.

It just seems differently nerdy in a more appealing way.
Depending on the kind of game you're playing, being the GM can really be more of a "facilitator", as in the players are really doing a lot of the writing themselves, you're just poking and prodding and filling in key details.

Countblanc posted:

is there any way to have hidden information, as a player, in Roll20? Specifically something you can put on the table and later reveal. I know you can make a custom deck of cards but that seems cumbersome, but may be the only option.

You can designate some parts of the map as being under the "fog of war" until you reveal it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, he probably sent that out to everybody. I'm of a mind to write him back to tell him to go right the hell ahead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

I think at some point one of his products was in a popular bundle, so now when he sends an email to 'everyone who has one of your products' he hits almost everybody.

Oh poo poo, I remember now - I bought the OSR Bundle of Holding for Scarlet Heroes and Labyrinth Lord and it came with Death Frost Doom

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Was that exploring a Dwarven ruin or something to do with giants?

Here's the SA/Fatal and Friends write-up:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/rulebook-heavily/death-frost-doom/

Basically it's supposed to be an exploration of a mountaintop dungeon, except it's filled with the tabletop equivalent of cheap jump scares, lolrandom monkey cheese bullshit and "horror" that's really just "oh we don't explain any of it, isn't that weird? it's totally weird"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Couldn't you just write down your NPC's planned action in spoiler tags and come to an agreement that they won't read it until it's supposed to be read?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apocalypse World is better than Dungeon World.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to play a Fighter Glaive in Numenera, with exciting abilities like:

quote:

Pierce (1 Speed point): This is a well-aimed, penetrating ranged attack. You make an attack and inflict 1 additional point of damage if your weapon has a sharp point. Action.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I thought Qelong was a pretty cool setting from the F&F review. There are some parts to it, but it's more because it's hitched onto the LOTFP wagon than anything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was more that GOG managed to break its copy protection even after the original developers themselves said they couldn't do it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
She's a lady, and she's in gaming, and that's really just about all the reason the uglier parts of the hobby needs for people to start flinging poo poo. It's barely even worth discussing their purported reasons for why (not a "real" gamer etc)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Walker posted:

Content: I'm trying to sell my 5e-loving friends on 13th Age. How would the more eloquent of you make the case for 13A over D&D?

The rules actually support grid-less combat that works.

Class design more closely resembles 4e insofar as everyone gets an interesting thing they can do every turn, without 4e's complexity and bloat. The martial classes can still be kind of weak and/or limited, but not to the degree of a 5th Ed Fighter or Ranger.

The item treadmill is, as in 5e, also excised

The escalation die mechanic solves a LOT of problems with D&D-esque combat. If you can engineer fights where the escalation die never really comes into play, then you're just about matching 5th edition, but finishing faster every other time.

As a DM:

Monster construction and encounter construction is dead-simple

A cap of level 10 but allowing the players to add their level to most rolls allows for a mundane-adventurer-to-epic-hero arc without 3.5/4e's "need full per-level skill DC chart", but also without 5e's very limited scaling

Monster vs player math is laid out well and doesn't result in swingy, unintentionally deadly encounters

No more huge spell list that takes up half the book and is a pain in the rear end to reference, ditto no more monsters that rely on looking up spells in the spell list.

Some of these things might bounce off of your players as things they don't really care about, and some of these things they won't see as positive points (and that they don't see the opposite in 5e as negative points).

Evil Mastermind posted:

:sympathy:

An internet friend told me once that the "gamer culture" in his part of the country is basically that people everything they can do spelled out on their sheets, so when the GM asks what they're going to do the first thing they automatically look at their sheets to see what they can do.

That's not really a bad thing per se. Limiting your actions to what you can do on your sheet prevents analysis paralysis.

It can also serve as a good reminder of what you're capable of doing once you enter a context that might not be easy to remember all the time. That is, if you're actually strong enough to be at Dynasty Warriors-levels of "can kill an army entire in a few swordstrokes" power, it's good if you have it written down on your sheet that you can actually do that, since it might not convey the idea so well if you're still just rolling to-hit against AC and your character level just happens to be in the double-digits.

What tends to be not good is if a game has too few skills, or too many skills and too few skill points (because it then becomes excessively exclusionary), or in D&D's case, if the "narrative control" tokens are only handed out to a subset of the classes and then the implications it carries with projecting some nasty limitations on what the other non-caster classes can actually accomplish.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Walker posted:

But where will I go to discuss character optimization and whether shrouds disappear before or after the attack that invokes them?

Easy, play 5e where there's barely any charOp to be had!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

Oh wow, I thought that kid was supposed to be the embodiment of "that guy" y'know the one who you hang out with but all he ever does is whine and just be generally very contrarian? It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I remember thinking "yeah, I know a couple dudes just like this guy" and thinking it was stunningly accurate.

Right! I never watched this cartoon, but just reading the second paragraph of that quote you'd think they were describing the stereotypical D&D player that doesn't want to go with the rest of the party because reasons and has to be strongarmed into participating in the quest.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

I heard the Andromeda Strain was good. Never read it myself.

I thought Airframe was pretty good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't care about MGSV or Witcher 3. :(

I've been playing Din's Curse a lot. I don't think I've bought a single 2015 released game yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

The super secret tech way of making 3.5 monsters past like level 4 is this:

HD: PC's level x2
hp: 20 per HD. (edit: level ~12+ you might want to double this if your PCs actually spec for damage.)
Size: however big/small you want.
init: make it up.
saves: whatever the wizard's spellcasting mod is +10, -1 if they took spell focus and +/-3 depending on if it is/not beefy/fast/smart.
AC: highest PC attack bonus +8. touch AC should be about 5 less.
attack: whatever your tank's AC is -11. +/-3 depending on how scary the fight should be.
attacks: however many your full bab guy has, +/-1.
speed: fast enough.
special attacks/qualities: get creative, save DCs are whatever the highest PC save is in that category +9.
skills: who cares.
feats: if there's a feat you think is cool, it has that. Otherwise, who cares.
environment: right here, right now.
treasure: that thing one PC really wants, plus some gems and whatever for the others.

There, you now have infinite 3.5 D&D monsters. Your only limit is your imagination and ability to describe things.

I can follow everything else, but that seems like a LOT of HP. A level 2 monster would have 4 hit dice, then 20 HP per hit dice for 80 HP total?

EDIT: Also how about damage/hit?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are there games whose primary combat system resembles that of mass combat?

That is, a lot of mass combat systems boil down each side's various combat factors into a single number, plus terrain, leadership and other modifiers, compares the two numbers into a ratio, then the die roll inflicts damage to both sides simultaneously, with the final ratio influencing the results: that is, if the force ratio is 2-to-1 in your favor, then rolling average still gives you favorable results.

To be clear, the characteristics I'm looking for are:

1. The results are inflicted simultaneously to both parties, rather than IGOUGO
2. The results are based on a differential between the two sides' relative strengths
3. Because of both 1 and 2, it's likely that even the winner will always take damage no matter what

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the responses.

As a follow-up, are there games (or supplements to games?) that'd let you play with mass combat right away? It seems like most such systems assume you'll be a single-person adventurer for a half-dozen levels before you leverage your earned riches into buying an army, so I was wondering if a game has ever experimented with starting you off as landed noble/force commander right off the bat.

And yes, I know there's a pall of "just play hex-and-counter wargames or miniature mans games" hanging over this, but you know, narrative

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Road infrastructure has degraded in the post-apocalypse so it's a (pot)holey war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think my friends would like it if I ran this Lasers and Feelings hack with them, but I'm not really familiar with that genre, or anime in general, really.

What would be a good immersion, or one might say Appendix N for such a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Went to a boardgame cafe today, got to play Forbidden Desert, Betrayal on the House on the Hill, Dixit, Coup, and the DC Deckbuilding Game.

Forbidden Desert was great - it's cooperative play which I prefer and the sandstorm mechanic keeps things tense and moving.

Dixit looked incredible, the art is just all sorts of cool and ambiguous.

Coup was a nice palette cleanser in between games for how fast it plays.

The DC Deckbuilder game we had to cut-off after half an hour, but I thought it was super-easy to learn and was intuitive and I would've wanted a full run-through.

It was Betrayal that fell really flat for me. It was my second time with the game and again the second time where the Haunt took way too long to trigger and the completely random house lay-out made the outcome way too pre-determined. The traitor managed to end it mercifully quick, but I could tell that it could have dragged on for another hour of fiddly die rolling.

• Locked thread