Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm learning campaign cartographer and it's really, really hard. Part of that is me not having a mouse to work with at the moment but it has less of a learning curve and more of a learning brick wall.

So far all I've managed to do is a Dracula Dossier-style map for a Night's Black Agents encounter, it took like 2 and a half hours and was not really worth that time.

I'm going to bring a mouse and my knockoff Wacom tablet to school tomorrow and see which one of those works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Covok posted:

I like Torchbearer. Would I like Burning Wheel?

Yes, but because it's an amazing design, not because you like Torchbearer.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ratpick posted:

There's a video game set in Glorantha called King of Dragon Pass. It's sort of a hybrid strategy/RPG game that has it all: going on hero quests to re-enact mythical stories for blessings from the gods, ducks, cattle raids and trying to keep the myriad deities from screwing your tribe over. It's pretty much abandonware at this point, and it's a pretty good game for getting a good glimpse of the stuff that makes Glorantha cool.

It's also aged surprisingly well: it was released at that time when games were moving towards using 3D graphics for everything but was done entirely in really pretty 2D.

Seconding this. If you want something to read, Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes or Pavis: Gateway to Adventure are good.

Guide to Glorantha is by far the best Glorantha resource, but it's basically a textbook and it's a billion pages so it's not really good for an introduction.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FMguru posted:

Whoa.

FFG just bought L5R.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Looks like the plan is to wind down the current CCG then relaunch it in 2017 as a Living Card Game.

Oh poo poo!

I wonder what this means for the RPGs, they already had super high production values. Maybe FFG can actually keep them in print. The 4th edition line already feels really complete, so if the game just ceases to have new releases it's in a good place.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Somehow I doubt it. Mongoose Traveller is apparently getting a new edition though.

I picked up the beta for the new mongoose traveller, and it's a nice refinement of the first edition. Not sure it's worth picking up if you either hated the first one or already have all the books for it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Helical Nightmares posted:

How does it compare to Stars Without Number?

The systems are totally different, Stars Without Number is better if you like retroclones. I think the system generation in Traveller is better, but I really like the faction turn in SWN.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What kind of changes have they made?

Jumping from space scale to personal scale combat is a lot easier now, since they've more or less unified all the different systems they were using. They've also simplified the damage rules a lot. Ships have a power rating you have to worry about now, so you get stuff like having to cut the power to the engines to keep shooting all your weapons if you've taken damage or you've jury-rigged way too many guns onto a ship.

Character generation is still random, but they're including support for other methods. I haven't noticed any sort of "you're dead, start over" stuff for bad rolls. They've consolidated some skills where it made sense.

Instead of a bunch of dice modifiers, they basically took Advantage/Disadvantage dice from D&D 5th.

It's 90% the same, honestly. The biggest change that has older fans mad is that they've consolidated all of the shipbuilding rules and moved them to a different book instead of having basic rules in the core and advanced rules in a supplement.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

HitTheTargets posted:

What's Fantasy Flight's track record like? I heard they bought L5R and I'm wondering if that means a new edition with a bunch of new fiddle little rules.

It's p. cool that they're gonna continue the card game, I guess. But calling it a Living Card Game will never not sound ridiculous.

They make good card games, Netrunner is probably their best.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Way to spoil the poo poo out of a side-story they obviously haven't finished.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the responses.

As a follow-up, are there games (or supplements to games?) that'd let you play with mass combat right away? It seems like most such systems assume you'll be a single-person adventurer for a half-dozen levels before you leverage your earned riches into buying an army, so I was wondering if a game has ever experimented with starting you off as landed noble/force commander right off the bat.

And yes, I know there's a pall of "just play hex-and-counter wargames or miniature mans games" hanging over this, but you know, narrative

GURPS, Reign (kinda), I think Pendragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

owned

• Locked thread