Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

mycot posted:

I don't think you're getting the point of the comment; read the first part of the sentence, then the second, and you realize that the "there is no good or evil" moral is bullshit because there totally still is.

Uh... um... I don't think you'd have to say "well maybe aristocracy has some good points" in order to suggest that the Russian Civil War wasn't a battle of good in the form of the Bolsheviks versus evil in the form of the Whites. Or to point out how the American Civil War, despite the massive, massive good of the destruction of slavery and the Confederacy, wasn't a case of the good Union versus the bad Confederacy either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

orangelex44 posted:

Possibly stupid question: Is there a thread anywhere for random gaming/comic/nerdy conventions? I know a couple of the biggies get threads in this subforum, but is there something either here or elsewhere for the dozens of more local ones (or non-tabletop-gaming ones, for that matter)?

Start one. I dunno how long it would last, but my local-local convention is coming up soon.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

TG Poster: Oh my god everyone. It turns out that this game has some really deviant and sick poo poo! I read all of this gross and creepy stuff and it's really bad! So bad, I had to read it twice because i couldn't believe my eyes!
Me: *Shrugs while tabbing back to Exhentai.org whilst swirling a cup of brandy*

Let the people have their latest Emmanuel Goldstein.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

You sound like you went to school specifically to become a first-year Philosophy student. If you didn't, please get off the Internet and go outside more.

I don't know if this is you LARPing wilderness encounters or what, but you following me around and whacking me with a verbal wiffle bat is starting to really perturb me.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ryoshi posted:

Wasn't there a time when you were banned from the chat threads, or was that just a marvelous dream of some lost utopia?

I agree, the world would be a better place if a bunch of people were no longer in it, as a consequence of my actions. Well, not in the particular case you're offering, but as a general rule, it's good.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

You're right, these forums and the world in general would be a better place without you or Plutonis in them. :byewhore:

This attempt at owning me by agreeing with all the reprehensible distortions I make of people's posts is kinda lackluster. You need to work in some overly-specific intimations, I feel. Like, suggesting you'll beat me to death with copies of my favorite RPG, Rolemaster. Or making oblique threats against my pet frogs.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

ah yes if only we opened our hearts to I'm A Gimmick Poster And My Gimmick Is Racism Guy and an abrasive weirdo

My gimmick is threats of violence, not racism.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Davin Valkri posted:

Plutonis, help me out here. I've recently seen you post in the Ask/Tell military history thread. You're clearly capable of asking questions sincerely, you want to learn more about things and people, you're plenty knowledgeable about the history of South America. And then you post here and...you...just...

...why? What do you gain from being a troll and posting "ironically" and saying mean things and just being a jerk on this particular subforum? Why not act the way you do on the military history thread on the forum as a whole? Same with all the other people who leave those one-line snipes and talk down to other posters so condescendingly. If you're capable of posting sincerely, why not just...do so?

I do it because I am not actually a human being, but a set of mystical instructions programmed into a statue by a Harappan sorceress to automate the process of mystical initiation. Acts of vandalism and the collapse of the Indus Valley civilization have warped these instructions to the point where I go around being a gadfly to provoke hypocritical, angry, and/or funny reactions from people on the Internet. It feels pretty good to get this off my chest.

Also because most of the people who I snipe at are uninterested in any kind of conversation or discussion they don't totally control, and I consider that to be unjust, and every day I wake up and say to myself, "Today, that boulder is getting to the top of that hill."

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

Nope. I'm the feminist who cares about the messages we send in media and acts to fix them. Nice try, though.

There's only one feminist who does? Sounds like feminism needs to get its house in order.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Traveller posted:

And then Effectronica hoped someone died, the end

Wroth as you are, your powers of English disperse, in such fashion that you twist a lament that feminism, among the noblest and most righteous causes of all human history, has fallen into so weak a state that only one feminist cares about the continuation of patriarchy through media, through the culture of the populace and of the elite, and an expression of hope that feminism will regenerate and the unjust, villainous, and infamous male-supremacist society we live in fall before its banner and be totally disintegrated, and the reign of justice come into play for the first time in human history so far as we know or can reasonably speculate- that this, you turn into an expression of blood-thirst. Well, shame on you.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I'll be frank here, and say that my dislike largely stems from the attitude on display. In this, prejudicial statements are OK to make, and prejudicial beliefs good to hold, against people, except in the particular cases of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, classism, and so on. That is, these definitions of people are essential. I hold a different belief, which is that prejudice is always wrong, and always will be wrong, and racism and sexism are merely what happens when you encourage prejudicial thinking and acting, creating a vast hierarchy of evils which are committed against all of humanity. I doubt that Traveller or anybody consciously believes that race is inherent to humanity, and that's the only reason why it's wrong to be racially prejudiced, but I do feel that that's the only way people's actions make sense, not just here, but in many other cases.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, so you believe that some other prejudice is at play in these forums. Now we are getting somewhere. I don't know where that somewhere is but we are getting there.

What sort of prejudice do you feel are unjustly tolerated here?

That's not what I said. I said that people are quite willing to engage in prejudicial thinking, and to enact that prejudicial thinking by making various comments, such as about how nerds are all one thing, or that the world would be better if certain posters were dead, or interpreting everything a certain poster says through a monomaniacal lens. Most of them profess opposition to racism, to sexism, to homophobia and transphobia, and so on.

So, either we believe that prejudice is part of those things, or we don't. The latter case is hardly sustainable, saying as it does that there is nothing racist about the use of racial slurs. So racial prejudice is part of racism, sexual prejudice part of sexism, and so on. Furthermore, we can see historically how prejudices are enacted in order to generate racism, homophobia, etc. (sexism dating too far back to really see in progress, though we can see its advance through the enactment of prejudices).

But we see people engaging in prejudicial behaviors, and these are underlain by prejudicial thinking. Therefore, they must believe that there are certain types of prejudice that are acceptable and certain types that are unacceptable. This in turn either requires a convenient set of acceptable prejudices that Occam's Razor slashes apart, or a belief that only certain prejudices are unacceptable. The likeliest explanation is simply an unconscious belief that sex and race are "real" categories it's wrong to be prejudiced against, while other categories are "fake" and it's OK to be prejudiced against them.

But race and sex are totally arbitrary in the sense that they are mere descriptors that have no value beyond their literal definitions which is not generated by discrimination. They are also arbitrary in the sense that they are categories that are placed on top of real human differences (though this is not so obvious with sex as with race, it's still quite true) and similarities. There is no way to say that prejudice is okay in certain situations without generating a specific set of categories against which it's OK to be prejudiced, which has not happened and still would be fairly weak, I suspect.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Ningyou posted:

look at this fuckin bad opinion haver

quiet moving and acting like d-dog and soaking up War Criminal Solidarity Tummyrubs or w/e and occasionally pulling an electric knife out of her bikini top to shank ppl but in a cuddly nonlethal way is basically ~MY FURSONA~ and also amazing

Yeah, nothing hosed up about treating women like animals.

• Locked thread