Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ratpick posted:

Is there an RPG out there that is about the major political leaders in a single-party totalitarian state vying for power? Basically, something like Paranoia except with the players as the higher-ups instead of the grunts.

Well there's literally a supplement for Paranoia about playing High Programmers if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Lobster posted:

So I'm about to start GMing a game using FATE Core as none of the Fate adaptation games seemed super interesting to me, and I was wondering how big of a deal it is to mess around with the default skills, since some of them seemed kind of redundant (empathy doesn't seem to have much reason to exist when rapport does aside from being "the mental healing skill"), and I don't really like how like two skills determine your extra stress tracks. I know reworking the skills is encouraged, but I'm also afraid of merging certain ones and accidentally creating do-everything skills; are the core skills pretty finely balanced, or is the encouragement to experiment there to indicate it's pretty laissez-faire?

It shouldn't be that big a deal provided you're clear on what each skill does. Atomic Robo consolidates the skill list even further from the Fate Core default for example into the following:

Athletics
Burglary
Combat
Contacts
Deceive
Empathy
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Stealth
Vehicles
Will

It still has Empathy which you could probably fold into Rapport if you wanted without much being lost. Fate writers' insistence on sticking with the whole "X points in Y skill raises your stress tracks by Z" thing is dumb as hell, and Atomic Robo manages to make it even more convoluted and confusing in an attempt to try and make it less demanding and it's honestly just a mess. Either give everyone the same stress track if you're using a single-track setup and use stunts to mechanically represent someone's resilience in the face of certain types of adversity or if you're using a multi-track setup then give everyone the same number of "points" to assign as they see fit. In Atomic Robo it's easier to just say "you have seven stress boxes split between Physical and Mental, minimum of 2 and maximum of 5."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heavy Lobster posted:

Is there any way to track down various games' subsystems aside from just buying the games outright? We were going to use the gem tokens from Splendor (which deserves all the praise it gets) to keep track of FATE points and thought it would be fun to tie the colors into magic somehow, or maybe give the players some way to translate them from being metafictional to having more solid in-game representations, but the only system I can think that would have anything resembling some sort of bonus plot-loot system would be Anglerre, which from what I know is decidedly too crunchy for what we're looking for.

The online Fate SRD has a bunch of stuff you might find useful, mainly in the toolkit section where it has a whole section on magical subsystems as well as other things. I don't think there's a consolidated free resource of every Fate-derived game ever, but if you've got questions about any of them the Fate megathread is probably a good place to ask.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

In my current FATE game I've cut it down to five skills: Weaponthane (general physical prowess), Lawspeaker (knowledge and logical argument), Chief (leadership, popularity, and emotional appeals), Trickster (lies, sneakiness, and underhanded methods), and Trader (craftsmanship, outdoorsmanship, and negotiation). It's worked pretty well.

I've seen some other Fate games take that sort of approach too, it seems like it should work pretty well depending on the sort of game you're going for.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, the first game I saw it in was JadeTech, and it was kinda an epiphany for me, since I always considered the skill bloat a big flaw in FATE, but also didn't like the Approach system. Maybe it's just the players I was running it for, but the Approach system ended up with players spending a lot of time trying to stretch the definitions of their favored Approaches.

No I agree, I've never been fully sold on Approaches because, like you said, they seem to lend themselves to the game of "how do I stretch everything to fit under the umbrella of my highest Approach?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swagger Dagger posted:

Oh poo poo!

I wonder what this means for the RPGs, they already had super high production values. Maybe FFG can actually keep them in print. The 4th edition line already feels really complete, so if the game just ceases to have new releases it's in a good place.

They'll be releasing a new RPG line where each great clan gets its own standalone game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If they do a new RPG I unironically hope it uses their WFRP3E/Star Wars style dice system.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

Their card games tend to be pretty decent but few of them actually have scenes.

I was under the impression that Netrunner at least was fairly robust in that regard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I legit hope that FFG does use their crazy bullshit dice system for some hypothetical L5R game. One of the interesting things about the WFRP3E game they made that didn't transfer over to Star Wars was the idea of "stances" where you could adopt a more aggressive or cautious stance that would influence your rolls both by substituting more Reckless and Cautious dice for regular ones which had their own unique layout of results as well as unlocking different actions for you to attempt the further along you were along one or the other. It seems like something you could get some mileage out of in a game about dueling and politicking samurai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

He seems to be complaining that what is being presented is not actually that grey despite the game saying it is.

It's the Bioshock Infinite thing where one side is comprised of militant white supremacists using an aerial city-fortress to intervene in foreign wars and exploiting/persecuting minorities and the other side is those very same slaves and minorities getting fed up with all that poo poo, and then suddenly WOAH MAN did you know that BOTH SIDES are actually bad and maybe the truth is in the middle hmmmm

A lot of people think they're making a great "shades of grey" story when they're actually just writing a dumb one where characters act like idiots and assholes not for compelling or interesting reasons but because "how else am I gonna show that this is a serious, mature story?"

• Locked thread