Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also true. It's good to see where and how it all started.

It still manages to be among the best of the Apocalypse engine games tbh. Most of the extra mechanics added by other games (the 7-8 I've messed with at least) tend to end up as bloat that detracts from the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apocalypse World is better than Dungeon World.

+1

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It shouldn't be that big a deal provided you're clear on what each skill does. Atomic Robo consolidates the skill list even further from the Fate Core default for example into the following:

Athletics
Burglary
Combat
Contacts
Deceive
Empathy
Notice
Physique
Provoke
Rapport
Stealth
Vehicles
Will

In my current FATE game I've cut it down to five skills: Weaponthane (general physical prowess), Lawspeaker (knowledge and logical argument), Chief (leadership, popularity, and emotional appeals), Trickster (lies, sneakiness, and underhanded methods), and Trader (craftsmanship, outdoorsmanship, and negotiation). It's worked pretty well.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I've seen some other Fate games take that sort of approach too, it seems like it should work pretty well depending on the sort of game you're going for.

Yeah, the first game I saw it in was JadeTech, and it was kinda an epiphany for me, since I always considered the skill bloat a big flaw in FATE, but also didn't like the Approach system. Maybe it's just the players I was running it for, but the Approach system ended up with players spending a lot of time trying to stretch the definitions of their favored Approaches.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

For those of you that GM: do you use music to enhance your game at all? If so, which albums/artists/stations do you rely on most?

In PbP or IRC games I do, but I find it gets in the way in livegames. I almost invariably go for music without lyrics.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Alternately we'll just ignore the language question altogether and assume everyone is a polyglot just to make things simpler.

When I was running my Ars Magica pbp set in the same region, I just went with 'Everyone important speaks Latin, Arabic, or both', unless I wanted to make a point otherwise.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I wonder what this means for the RPGs, they already had super high production values. Maybe FFG can actually keep them in print. The 4th edition line already feels really complete, so if the game just ceases to have new releases it's in a good place.

Yeah, but the rules are kinda weird and mediocre. 50/50 chance if FFG makes it better or just shifts it into a different kind of mediocre.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Good news, everyone! Eoris books are not laced with drugs!

:psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

What's Fantasy Flight's track record like? I heard they bought L5R and I'm wondering if that means a new edition with a bunch of new fiddle little rules.

Their core mechanics tend to be good, but I've yet to see any of their games without at least two or three glaring mechanical flaws that scream for house rules.

e: Oh card game wise no idea. Thinking about the RPG.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can get a small private army pretty easy even as a starting Rogue Trader crew.

The mass combat/mass starship rules for Rogue Trader are pretty decent and are possibly the best designed ruleset in the entire game. The game would probably been a lot better on the whole if it focused more macro like that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Man, there are a lot of whiny little bitch posters in this thread.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Here's a suggestion: if a poster makes a joke that isn't to your taste, ignore it rather than start a page long fight about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is a Fate thread that covers that as well, since it is powered by Fate.

It's powered by an early, rough version of FATE. Some advise: don't let everyone be a full wizard, the system can't really handle it. Make everyone a focused practitioner or mild supernatural of some kind.

• Locked thread