Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

To start things off, why not a quick discussion on your best gaming experience this year, so far?
Got a Legends of the Wulin game going, which is always great fun. We each independently managed to tie ourselves to a different one of the four banes, which has guided the story in a really odd but interesting way since only one of us is actually a full member of any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

Four banes?
The four organizations that are essentially the premade antagonist groups. LotW is unique in that you get specialized xp to buy into "loresheets", which are sets of assorted plot points related to a given group or location or the like. At chargen you usually get a handful to tie your character to the setting and mechanically represent your backstory, and we ended up with a 4-way split between each of those antagonist groups.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Crotch posted:

Periodically check on Roll20 for a random 4e game to pop up. Apply for the game but never hear back from the DM because there are about 20 players for every one DM. Repeat this process four or five times until you finally get in a game. Then despair as you realize just how godawful the average person on the internet is at DMing (and that's not even getting into your fellow players).
And really, the bolded bit is the worst part. So many people claim they want to DM, then can't loving show up on time. Or at all. Or they show up and then say "oops, forgot to plan a session tonight!" Or their brilliant story idea is literally some ripoff of a ripoff anime's plot with the serial number kind of scratched at. And then you find someone who can show up with a fully formed original thought, and they're a furry who wants to drag you into their magical realm every other session. Or they want to run something that would be right at home as a Cthulhutech module.

People in general are disappointments but at least lovely players are easily replaced.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jimbozig posted:

If I forget (or "forget") to prep a session, that doesn't slow me down beyond having to quickly GIS a map to drag into Roll20.
Same when I GM, and improv capability is the hallmark of a good GM. But I've had a few that go "I forgot/didn't have time to plan anything, so tonight's session is just gonna be you guys chatting IC." And that can be a fine session sometimes, but every third session? Not so much.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Sagan posted:

For those of you that GM: do you use music to enhance your game at all? If so, which albums/artists/stations do you rely on most?
Only on IRC, and Immediate Music has pretty much all of the dramatic scene music you could ever want. Especially "boss fight" type music.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

grassy gnoll posted:

Tell us about Partycat again, grandpa Winson.
:fiesta:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Excuse me sir. That's clearly a hubcap buckler

:frogout:
+1 AC, +2 AC vs. Toyotas.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

potatocubed posted:

"Feedback should be positive. We like constructive criticism."
And with one short line they destroy any and all hope I had in them producing something even vaguely playable.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Esser-Z posted:

Now I'm reminded of something I want to use in a game sometime: basically inverting the DUG TOO GREEDILY AND TOO DEEP trope. Instead of dwarves mining too far and finding hell, the demons/devils expanded too high and found dwarves. Now, the circle of llife/death/afterlife is being disrupted as the dwarves push into Hell and claim its resources for their own.
There's a board game based on exactly that premise except it's the knights templar instead of dwarves.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zephirum posted:

Has anyone tried to fit D&D 4E's monster design model into 3.x or Pathfinder? I've seen XP budget tables online but no codified role templates, etc.
The super secret tech way of making 3.5 monsters past like level 4 is this:

HD: PC's level x2
hp: 20 per HD. (edit: level ~12+ you might want to double this if your PCs actually spec for damage.)
Size: however big/small you want.
init: make it up.
saves: whatever the wizard's spellcasting mod is +10, -1 if they took spell focus and +/-3 depending on if it is/not beefy/fast/smart.
AC: highest PC attack bonus +8. touch AC should be about 5 less.
attack: whatever your tank's AC is -11. +/-3 depending on how scary the fight should be.
attacks: however many your full bab guy has, +/-1.
speed: fast enough.
special attacks/qualities: get creative, save DCs are whatever the highest PC save is in that category +9.
skills: who cares.
feats: if there's a feat you think is cool, it has that. Otherwise, who cares.
environment: right here, right now.
treasure: that thing one PC really wants, plus some gems and whatever for the others.

There, you now have infinite 3.5 D&D monsters. Your only limit is your imagination and ability to describe things.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 21, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can follow everything else, but that seems like a LOT of HP. A level 2 monster would have 4 hit dice, then 20 HP per hit dice for 80 HP total?

EDIT: Also how about damage/hit?
A lot of times hp doesn't even matter because the casters will just geek the main target with a Save-or-die/suck and at that point it's basically "how many CdG attempts do you want to force?" When it does and any PC decides to go for damage, they can usually shell out a huge pile of it.

Damage I forgot, should probably be something like "the biggest HD+con score in the party" with ability scores of "whatever will let it stay up against a single ray of enfeeblement/shivering touch/etc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ryoshi posted:

Did....did anyone, at any point during the creation of this book, ever, actually try
Nope.

• Locked thread