Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Serf posted:

Best experience so far has been getting my first PBP off the ground and running. I'm having such a blast that I'm considering starting a Roll20 game to try out Strike!

If you decide to do the Roll20 thing, lemme give you some advice that should make things go a lot snappier in combat (and snappier combat keeps people engaged and the general mood optimistic); Have your players make macros. This is useful for a few reasons.

1) You simply push a button on your bar and it automatically rolls your ability for you, which is a nice little timesaver [CountTip: click the little "In-bar" box next to your macros in the Settings menu to do this]
2a) It will presumably be a new system for many/all of you, and having a macro which barfs out the entire text box, effect and all, lets people immediately know what your power does without you having to explain it or cross-referencing the book.
2b) This gets people learning the system quicker since you're associating names with powers every time you hit your macro or see someone else's. This helped me internalize the game immensely.

This probably sounds like a huge chore though, especially if you've done things like Veggiesama 4e macros in Maptools. Fortunately you couldn't be further from the truth. To make a macro that looks as clean and useful as this:

All you have to do is c/p this into the macro box (which again is found in-game at the top of the the "My Settings" tab):

quote:

&{template:default} {{name=Cant of Inexplicable Lust}} {{attack=[[1d6]]}} {{damage=3}} {{effect=Pick a creature. If possible, the target must attempt to move adjacent to that creature on its next turn.}}

And it's easy to customize. Say you instead wanted to make an at-will that does 2 damage and grants the next ally to attack the target Advantage (like the Warlord's "Knock Him Off Balance" for instance). You'd simply change the "name=Cant of Inexplicable Lust" to Knock Him Off Balance, the "damage=3" to 2, and the "effect=[...]" to the Advantage-granting thing. If you just paste the above macro and tweak it as needed it takes like 3-4 minutes to make a full macro suite for a max level character. You can add as much as you want too, here's an example macro from the Psion class I've been designing/testing:

Which has this as the macro text:

quote:

&{template:default} {{name=Focus: Shatter - Encounter}} {{Range=Melee or Ranged 5}} {{attack=[[1d6]]}} {{Trigger=An enemy is Bloodied.}} {{Target=The triggering enemy.}} {{damage=4}} {{effect=Target makes a saving throw. If it fails, it is Taken Out. If it succeeds, it is Blinded until the end of its next turn.}}

Quite a bit more complicated, but still easy to understand.

If you go for this I highly, highly recommend you do the same for your monsters as a GM. In 4e this was a huge pain and notable time commitment, but since enemies in Strike have few abilities and macros are so easy it shouldn't be that big of an issue.

e: It's also useful for non-rolled abilities like your Role powers, hitting a thing that just outputs "Mark: Mark one enemy until the end of its next turn" is super easy and seeing that on your bar is a good reminder that you can do it.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Serf posted:

Well shoot now I gotta run it. Thanks for this!

go for it! The system almost feels custom designed to work in Roll20 honestly, it's crazy how well it fits in. The one thing to note is that the book assumes you'll be generating more action points (using Complications and Kits) than you probably will be in an online session, just because it's logistically more difficult to do via text. Skype or Mumble alleviates this somewhat but if you're a pure roll20 game then at the very least I recommend emphasizing to your players that they can hand out a single free AP per session to someone whenever they do something cool, since those precious APs are a bit more rare otherwise. Also you can stockpile up to 3 APs between sessions, for some reason I never remembered this for like my first year of playing, so generating surplus AP at the end of a session or whatever isn't a waste.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also consider starting your players at level 2 if they have any experience with D&D 4e because the level 1 characters feel a bit plain if you're used to that sort of combat already, the extra Encounter Role action does a lot to spice it up (and it means you're closer to level 3 so that's cool). If you're worried about the non-combat stuff that comes from leveling up just tell your players to design for level 1 and after a session or two they can level their non-combat side to 2 once they figure out what their Fallbacks/etc should be.

e: Also also make your game Monster Hunter so I can play in it.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 1, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Serf posted:

I would, but I've never played a Monster Hunter game, so I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there any way to have hidden information, as a player, in Roll20? Specifically something you can put on the table and later reveal. I know you can make a custom deck of cards but that seems cumbersome, but may be the only option.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What are you trying to hide from me???

It's for a project. Do NOT ask what the project is.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Walker posted:

I think the free-form stuff is turning some of my group off, they seem to want things with clearly defined mechanical effects. One thing that has specifically been mentioned as a net positive in D&D's favor is the massive spell list. Not the kinds of spells, just that there are a lot to choose from, apparently.

I need more friends.

Just play strike with your friends

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Monster Hunter and Professor Layton soundtracks are both great rpg music.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Character themesongs are incredibly important.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Arivia posted:

My pathfinder game tonight had one point where the players seriously thought about having an entire army piss into the mouth of Winson Paine's character to drug test them all. It was the Whizzard come to life!

i am totally shocked that pathfinder players are hosed up deviants

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Their card games tend to be pretty decent but few of them actually have scenes. I guess for L5R its safe to assume many of the players from the CCG will carry over, but I don't think i"ve ever met someone outside of a convention who plays the game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i cannot fathom a world where a jrpg, or a jrpg-inspired game, is the goty

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Monster Hunter X is coming out in the west next year, and in its home nation this year, so GOTY is already taken for both those years unfortunately.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The concept of GOTY is frankly kind of stupid. Different games are good for different audiences, and gaming covers so many different audiences nowadays that it makes no sense to declare one game superior to everything else.

wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fosborb posted:

I find it especially interesting that, from the beginning, *World games have dismissed the legitimacy of the asexual in all its forms.

same, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
late september has wonderful weather

• Locked thread