Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer

Sometimes I think smartphones have eroded the concept of 'terrain knowledge' or whatever in cities. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's kind of interesting. Like I remember the roads around where I grew up far better than the ones I've lived at longer here in the future. Once you get off the narrow corridors Google Maps sends me everywhere on, it's kind of an odd feeling of alienation for a city you've lived in a long time.

Oh I googled it and here's an article about it.

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2013/03/how-google-maps-changes-pedestrian-behavior/5134/

Talking about how over-dependence on google maps changes the way people experience travel / spatial orientation in a city. Kind of interesting. My grandpa always said, the first thing you do during an invasion is unbolt all the street signs so the invaders won't be able to as easily use maps and get around while the locals can still do so, but for some people at least that's not as true anymore I guess.

Still doesn't mean it's bad or anything, just kind of an interesting change. The convenience is probably worth the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Qwerinty posted:

i use the phone to find my way once, then learn the terrain and signs and improve from there.

you're like a cyborg... augmented by technology, not defined by it... :psylon:

• Locked thread