Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
Why not the northwest? We've got our own set of riding challenges: Consistently wet weather, completely boned construction and infrastructure (particularly in Seattle), The Cascade Loop, cool forest trails, and the need to start a few riding clubs to scare the techies moving in. Post here about PNW riding tidbits/concerns, routes, meetups, and cool stuff as it pertains to Washington/Oregon/Vancouver, why not?

Bike: 2013 Brammo Empulse R
Years ridden: A few months
Down for: Not going 100mph across the 520 bridge in the rain

PNW Goon Riders:

Washington
Squirrel Burger - Greater Seattle Area
NipplesTheCat - West Seattle
Gay Nudist Dad - Capitol Hill
EkardNT - Bainbridge Island
Spiffness - North Seattle
clutchpuck - Edmonds
Pope Mobile - Kitsap Peninsula
Slim Pickens - South Seattle
Worthington - Covington
ChewedFood - Olympic Peninsula

Oregon
ant mouth - Portland
Keldoclock - Portland
Lynza - Near Portland (Rural)
Beaucoup Cuckoo - Portland

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Highway 20. Ride it. That is all.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
All of Highway 20. Past Tonasket.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Some day I will :allears:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Also, if you're near Ballard and not in on it, third Wednesday of every month is one of the biggest monthly moto meetups around: https://www.facebook.com/backfiremoto

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Vancouver (the hippy/beaver infested one) counts, right?

I'm always down for a rip up the sea to sky highway and beyond on a weekend.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Some day I will :allears:

That's where it gets good. Tonasket to Kettle is really fun and scenic.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Bike: 2007 Aprilia Tuono
Years ridden: ~7 Years
Down for: Anything. I'm new to this big dumb place.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Bike: 2012 Yamaha Zuma 125, 2008 Genuine Stella yeah that's right just scooters
Years ridden: 11 goddamn years of scooters
Down for: <60mph

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
Bike: WR250R
Years ridden: 6
Down for: Any and all dirt roads, trails, single track, exploring/trespassing, being/not being a dong.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011
Bike: '06 GS500
Years ridden: 1
Down for: Continuing my buying paralysis streak. I'm never moving up to a better biek...

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Bike: bikeless pleb
Hours ridden: 18
Down for: new rider advice, talking about electric bikes

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I'm planning on riding out at the end of the month with a friend for a 3 day ride starting somewhere south of hood and ending up at maryhill/goldendale wa. Any PNW folk have any suggestions as to a route?

I'm thinking slabbing it to detroit lake then west to olallie, north from there to barlow rd, then... north.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
N Fork Rd / NF-19 out of Oakridge/Westfir past Box Canyon Guard Station, past Cougar Reservoir on Aufderheide Dr, to 126 near Rainbow. haven't done this yet, but on the list.

Quartzville / NF-11 from Sweet Home to 22 south of Marion Forks. incredible, 20 out of 10.

McKenzie Pass watch for gravel at apexes

Beaver to Willamina fun coast connector up to McMinnville area, very roller coastery.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Keldoclock posted:

I ride an electric sportbike (Brammo Empulse R). They were just bought by Polaris and are clearing out old inventory, so depending on where there's a dealer, you may be able to get a recent model for a song. I got mine at over half off due to clearance and being preowned (and also there was a fire at the shop so they knocked even more off the price). In Seattle at least, Seattle E-Bike near the stadium is the place to go to check them out.

Content: May be planning a ride up from Seattle to Vancouver or Victoria at the end of the month. Will need to stop a few places to charge my bike. Any must-see places along the way? I'm thinking a leisurely ride along the 9 North.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 12, 2015

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If you're going over to Victoria, there's a bunch of short, ridiculously fun roads close to town, or the Port Renfrew loop if you have ~300km of range. Around Vancouver, any of the local ski hills have pretty entertaining roads leading up to them.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Bike: Ninjer 300. Green, of course
Years ridden: Coming up on 2 years full-time riding
Down for: talking about bikes, looking at bikes, riding bikes, finding out fun places to ride bikes, talking poo poo about squids

We just recently did a week down to Cali (Yreka) and back up 101 and some of the connecting little highways between the coast and Crater Lake. Last weekend we went to Maupin out I84 and then 216 (I think, I'm horrible at remembering highway names). Then we came back out to the coast on the Umpqua River Hwy, which is frickin' gorgeous and everyone should ride it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

North Seattle
Just riding dirt currently
Plenty
Riding dirt bikes (Enduro, mostly, Walker Valley / Tahuya / Eastside goodness)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bike: Pack Buell
Years ridden: 10ish
Down for: pavement or gravel roads, with scenery, away from the city

I need to get a better dirt bike and get back out to Walker regularly

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

I really wanted to do McKenzie Pass after seeing it for the first time last year. That landscape is surreal. I think it may be too far south for our timeline this time around though. I'm going to add the rest of these to my ever growing to-do list though. Thanks!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Should probably post my info:
South King & Seattle area. Kitsap Peninsula.
Riding 8ish years
Street
Down for whatever.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with Evergreen Motorcycle Training? They are unusually easy for me to get to.

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org

I'm thinking about using them to get my sidecar/trike endorsement. I may also sign up for a two-wheeler class too if it ends up being any good.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't used Evergreen because of scheduling, but I have taken a different learner's course here. Only thing I would recommend is if you have you have your own motorcycle, find a parking lot between classes and practice like crazy. The classes are nice but they allot zero time for free practice, it's pretty much all just drills and then "here's the test, hope you were able to nail it the first time!" So if you're struggling with one particular kind of skill, and the drills weren't long enough for you to learn as you go, you're kinda boned.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Delta-Wye posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Evergreen Motorcycle Training? They are unusually easy for me to get to.

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org

I'm thinking about using them to get my sidecar/trike endorsement. I may also sign up for a two-wheeler class too if it ends up being any good.

Washington uses independent contractors to provide rider education. Quality can vary significantly between sites. Evergreen Safety Council is the only source of sidecar/trike rider training, at least in the PNW. From the site it looks like Evergreen Motorcycle Training is related if not the same group.

You'll probably have a great time and learn lots. Take the classes and report back what you experienced!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bike: ducati monster 900, husky sm610
Riding for 18 years
Down for: street rides and dual sport once old man river ships my drat gaskets.

If anyone here isn't familiar, the next backfire moto will be in Ballard this Wednesday the 16th. Even with meh weather there should be a lot of cool bikes to check out. It's by Hilliard's brewery and starts at 4 if you decide to go, I'll be riding the monster there.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I moved into an apartment with a garage and I'm thinking about getting a vehicle. I've always loved the look of the Urals and am thinking why not feed my third-life crisis by getting a russian piece of poo poo with a sidecar?! I'm supposed to go get my WA license Thursday and I figured I should sign up for the sidecar training class once I qualify for in-state tuition. It's only $125 and according to the website, they provide the rig and a weekend's worth of training both classroom and on the bikes. I know about the way the state structured training and testing and figured the quality varied significantly between sites and was hoping someone could chime in on whether this place is worth it.

Anyways, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since I was young (like 12?) dicking around on a minidirt bike so it's going to be a bit of a trip. If I like it, I can further consider getting one and I'll have my endorsement already. If not, it sounds like a fun weekend anyways and I could simply not use the endorsement.

Either outcome is waaaaay better than buying one and realizing I hate it :shepspends:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be at Backfire, likely. If you see a Brammo Empulse R with ridiculous Givi saddlebags, give a holler.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Delta-Wye posted:

I moved into an apartment with a garage and I'm thinking about getting a vehicle. I've always loved the look of the Urals and am thinking why not feed my third-life crisis by getting a russian piece of poo poo with a sidecar?! I'm supposed to go get my WA license Thursday and I figured I should sign up for the sidecar training class once I qualify for in-state tuition. It's only $125 and according to the website, they provide the rig and a weekend's worth of training both classroom and on the bikes. I know about the way the state structured training and testing and figured the quality varied significantly between sites and was hoping someone could chime in on whether this place is worth it.

Anyways, I haven't ridden on a motorcycle since I was young (like 12?) dicking around on a minidirt bike so it's going to be a bit of a trip. If I like it, I can further consider getting one and I'll have my endorsement already. If not, it sounds like a fun weekend anyways and I could simply not use the endorsement.

Either outcome is waaaaay better than buying one and realizing I hate it :shepspends:

Riding a bike with a sidecar is basically 0% like riding a motorcycle. The sidecar is a big weight, which you'll notice in corners, and you will not be doing any leaning.

That said, sidecars are awesome. I think HNasty (or nSAP?) has built them, so he might be able to give you more/better specifics.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Once you fly the chair high enough to hit steering reversion it steers and handles like a very lopsided two wheeler. :v:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Skier posted:

Once you fly the chair high enough to hit steering reversion it steers and handles like a very lopsided two wheeler. :v:

I like the cut of your jib.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Backfire was fun. Got a lot of questions about the Empulse. Curious to see if I can make it up to Anacortes on Friday on a single charge by taking SR9 up.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Keldoclock posted:

Piaggio makes a three-wheeled hybrid-option scooter. Yes, it leans like a motorcycle and you steer it like one, too. Piaggio m3. I'd buy one if they came with a under-bar engine vs swingarm mounted. I like me a saddle. They're under 10k

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

Piaggio makes a three-wheeled hybrid-option scooter. Yes, it leans like a motorcycle and you steer it like one, too. Piaggio m3. I'd buy one if they came with a under-bar engine vs swingarm mounted. I like me a saddle. They're under 10k

Yeah, one of my old coworkers has one, and he loves that thing. Apparently he's had trouble finding a reliable service place, though, so hopefully you can/want to do your own basic wrenching. Or you know someone reliable.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Verge posted:

I don't think the hybrid MP3 ever made it stateside.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I'm in Portland and have been riding for a few weeks. Would be down to explore with some people or get up to no good. I'm riding a KLR650.

Need to practice wheelies.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Lynza posted:

Yeah, one of my old coworkers has one, and he loves that thing. Apparently he's had trouble finding a reliable service place, though, so hopefully you can/want to do your own basic wrenching. Or you know someone reliable.

I've heard terrible things about the Seattle area Vespa dealership, which sells (and maintains) Piaggios. Apparently they're fine to sell the thing but poo poo CS and techs. I don't know if that's universal - I always think of scooters as a non-tinkerer's bike so that'd be lovely.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Verge posted:

I've heard terrible things about the Seattle area Vespa dealership, which sells (and maintains) Piaggios. Apparently they're fine to sell the thing but poo poo CS and techs. I don't know if that's universal - I always think of scooters as a non-tinkerer's bike so that'd be lovely.

Yeah this tends to be true.

When Triumph of Seattle was still Lynnwood Cycle Barn and sold scooters, most people I knew went up there for official Piaggio/Vespa dealer service - a 45+ minute trek by scooter so it wasn't really easy to drop your bike off there. Shows how badly people wanted to skip Vespa Seattle. But they lost the scooter dealer licenses for Piaggio/Vespa and for Genuine when they moved to Seattle because Vespa Seattle and Scoot About (Genuine) had the claim and wouldn't accept the competition.

If you do need a shop to work on a scooter in Seattle, you've got options. Fritz Repair (works on anything, just one guy, no bullshit, only place I'll take my bikes), Seattle Cycle Center (also works on anything), Triumph of Seattle, Moto International (sells Aprilia, may take other Piaggio-family scooters). There are some other shops around that take scooters that I just don't know anything about, like Rainier Cycles. Avoid Vespa Seattle (aka Big People Scooters) and ESPECIALLY avoid Scoot About (Genuine//Chinese scooter/Royal Enfield dealer) who are probably worst in the area.

Scooters are just as much a tinkerer's ride as anything else. They're mostly dead simple, single-cylinder with belt-driven CVT, so there's not much to get wrong on them. Maybe my perspective is skewed on scooterists though since everyone I know is in it for the hobby, not just the cheap transportation, and so work on their own bikes - whether just for maintenance or for customization/performance.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah this tends to be true.

When Triumph of Seattle was still Lynnwood Cycle Barn and sold scooters, most people I knew went up there for official Piaggio/Vespa dealer service - a 45+ minute trek by scooter so it wasn't really easy to drop your bike off there. Shows how badly people wanted to skip Vespa Seattle. But they lost the scooter dealer licenses for Piaggio/Vespa and for Genuine when they moved to Seattle because Vespa Seattle and Scoot About (Genuine) had the claim and wouldn't accept the competition.

If you do need a shop to work on a scooter in Seattle, you've got options. Fritz Repair (works on anything, just one guy, no bullshit, only place I'll take my bikes), Seattle Cycle Center (also works on anything), Triumph of Seattle, Moto International (sells Aprilia, may take other Piaggio-family scooters). There are some other shops around that take scooters that I just don't know anything about, like Rainier Cycles. Avoid Vespa Seattle (aka Big People Scooters) and ESPECIALLY avoid Scoot About (Genuine//Chinese scooter/Royal Enfield dealer) who are probably worst in the area.

Scooters are just as much a tinkerer's ride as anything else. They're mostly dead simple, single-cylinder with belt-driven CVT, so there's not much to get wrong on them. Maybe my perspective is skewed on scooterists though since everyone I know is in it for the hobby, not just the cheap transportation, and so work on their own bikes - whether just for maintenance or for customization/performance.

I'm probably wrong about the tinkerers impression. I always saw motorcycle as passion sacrificing utility and scooter as functional. Thank you

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Have there been any updates to the Washington lane splitting bill because holy poo poo downtown Seattle gridlock at 4pm will never not be a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Squirrel Burger posted:

Have there been any updates to the Washington lane splitting bill because holy poo poo downtown Seattle gridlock at 4pm will never not be a nightmare.

Killed.

• Locked thread