Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd imagine the jeep trails are doable on a big bike too. I mean, in 1st gear with the clutch halfway in.

But there are definitely a million cool places to ride up near Darrington. Rat Trap Pass is here (no idea about conditions now, it's probably snowy pretty low, I've stopped due to snow there in late June before) https://www.google.com/maps/dir/48....297b621!1m0!3e0

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GriszledMelkaba posted:

A 610 might be a handful for anything but the fire roads at walker valley. Get an electric start 250 and rage

A WR250 is somewhere in my future, serving double duty for MX and trails :allears:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rode the Ulysses out around Monroe for a bit. Passed a guy on High Bridge Road going the other way on a Grom. Day: made.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

Rode the Ulysses out around Monroe for a bit. Passed a guy on High Bridge Road going the other way on a Grom. Day: made.

There are plenty of those dudes out there. The eastside Ruckus/Zuma/Grom crews lead a big ride out of Duvall every September that winds around and ends in Monroe. It splits into a "fast" group and a "slow" group (it's all relative). The fast group the last couple years has had a few stunt-caged Groms and featured plenty of stoppies.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Story time: [someone I know] was driving and noticed the motorcycle rider in front of them had riding overpants that were flailing in the wind, about to fly off. He high beam flashed him, etc. to no avail. Rider flipped him off and brapped away. Few miles down road, there were the pants. They're a really nice brand and they fit me so I'm keeping them unless, of course, I can find the rider. If you're the rider, describe them or something - get in touch with me. Until then, I'm wearing your ridiculously comfortable pants (as overpants, of course). Normally, I'd be less inclined to wear someone else's gear but you flipped off [someone I know] so I think in this case we're square. ^.^

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Eh, gently caress 'im. Free pants!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sounds like SWIM just got a nice pair of riding pants. Or not nice. I don't know if I'd trust a pair of pants that came off while i was wearing them and i didn't notice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Um, were these pants like, strapped to a rack or something? Because I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone's pants can fly off in the wind while they are being worn :psyduck:

e: were they like chaps or something? Do they button up on the sides?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Um, were these pants like, strapped to a rack or something? Because I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone's pants can fly off in the wind while they are being worn :psyduck:

e: were they like chaps or something? Do they button up on the sides?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L_9-X2_vpo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I thought about those, but I can't imagine tear-away riding pants. "Whoops, I'm going down, good thing I have my *rrrippppp* well, poo poo, I guess I don't"

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Coydog posted:

Sounds like SWIM just got a nice pair of riding pants. Or not nice. I don't know if I'd trust a pair of pants that came off while i was wearing them and i didn't notice.

They're Thor and they were on a rack or something.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Hey thread, I just registered for the 2/27 BRC in Kent. Time to spend all my money then go get slammed into on 405!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

concise posted:

Hey thread, I just registered for the 2/27 BRC in Kent. Time to spend all my money then go get slammed into on 405!

Yeah! Woo! Go hog wild!

Good luck, and try not to deathgrip the handlebars.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Fear the box maneuver!

Actually, don't. Just drag your rear brake.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
The box isn't that bad if you can work on your clutch control before you have to do it. Clutch control is super important and will be useful forever.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Alright I passed, but my phone somehow died from the cold on Sunday. Also my gloves didn't do poo poo for me once they were soaked through while it was 35deg out. Anyone have recommendations for actually good all season gear?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You can still find these in stock on ebay and amazon, in various sizes. I've found them to keep my hands warm and dry in a downpour in the high 30s. Plus, they are cheap. I got my sizing from a revzilla listing, and went from there. I really like them.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/36747/i/tour-master-cold-tex-2-0-gloves

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Yeah, any Goretex-esque material for water problems and get either a beefy pair of gloves or a set of hippo hands for the cold part. My go to combo is:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-steve-classic-gloves
http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Hand-Mitts-Black-65-025-010402-11/dp/B009XIRD00

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just realized the Desert 100 was happening and what it was, but far too late to participate or spectate. I might try it next year. Anyone here racing?

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

Instead, I'll be out for a ride with my buddy this Sunday if anyone's interested.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

If you're up in walker valley can you pick up my rear axle nut for me?

check your nuts and bolts!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

If you're up in walker valley can you pick up my rear axle nut for me?

check your nuts and bolts!

:stonklol:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm in Seattle and recently got a bike! So I'm up for some weekend rides, nothing too intense.

Anyone going to the Vintage Motorcycle Swap Meet & Bike Show up in Mount Vernon? Its on April 23, thinking about riding/driving up with the girlfriend, its only about an hour north of Seattle and hopefully the weather will be nice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whoah, wait, what? Did somebody from SEATTLE use the words "only about an hour north of Seattle" ?

Are you not a King County Flat Earther?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Whoah, wait, what? Did somebody from SEATTLE use the words "only about an hour north of Seattle" ?

Are you not a King County Flat Earther?

Well I just moved here. So recently infact that I don't even get the reference, do people from Seattle not bother leaving the city?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Drive....? For a whole hour?!? :psyduck:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Well I just moved here. So recently infact that I don't even get the reference, do people from Seattle not bother leaving the city?

Lol no. Start getting used to making friends for one day

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ADINSX posted:

do people from Seattle not bother leaving the city?

"Edmonds? It takes me an hour to get from Ballard to Capitol hill, I'm not in it for a road trip!"

Don't worry I don't know a Seattleite self-aware enough to get the reference either.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Originally being from kitsap County, I'm used to driving to get anywhere.
I was :psyduck: when a guy complained we couldn't ship to his house, and Kent to Auburn was too far of a drive.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

"Edmonds? It takes me an hour to get from Ballard to Capitol hill, I'm not in it for a road trip!"

Don't worry I don't know a Seattleite self-aware enough to get the reference either.

The traffic here really is horrendous. I was so disappointed when I read that Seattle considered something similar to California's lane splitting law but ultimately didn't adopt it.

Luckily the motorcycle show is north of Seattle, and I-5 going north doesn't look as bad as south toward downtown (I live near freemont)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Fremont up out north is not too bad. I usually hop on northbound at 50th instead of 45th.

There's the Snohomish show happening next month too. Last year they had The Cossacks perform and that was pretty cool.

Lots of real nice riding out between Snohomish, Monroe, and Granite Falls, too.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Hey neat the PNW has its own cycle thread. Hello cycle thread for the PNW. I almost rode today but couldn't find my gloves, then my wife went home and said we should go get coffee then shop for new motorcycle gear. So I said OK and did that instead.

So that is my PNW riding story. Hopefully it will still be nice tomorrow and I can ride down Skyline into Portland.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Clouds will be moving in tomorrow but it will still be nice. Rain shouldn't start until some time Monday.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Holy poop it was a perfect day for riding today. Here's the trip I took.

https://goo.gl/maps/XJebb8VuKVn

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
It was a glorious day to get out and about. Grabbed the solo bike and did this loop:

https://goo.gl/maps/ysETqdjdXrD2

Found a straight stretch to remove layers and drink water:

Still a little early for some roads.

Managed to hit 50 MPG and found out how rusty I am from only commuting the past many months. Gonna rectify that!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Ok. I have one week left in the Seattle area before moving to Portland. Tuesday after about 11am and Friday morning through about 10 pm are the two days I have to ride.
The question is where I should ride for one last home-to-home ride before moving. I've done hood canal, dewatto/tahuyeha, and us-2 through the northern cascades (among others).
Where do I ride for a day trip?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Pope Mobile posted:

Ok. I have one week left in the Seattle area before moving to Portland. Tuesday after about 11am and Friday morning through about 10 pm are the two days I have to ride.
The question is where I should ride for one last home-to-home ride before moving. I've done hood canal, dewatto/tahuyeha, and us-2 through the northern cascades (among others).
Where do I ride for a day trip?

Home -- Sedro-Wooley -- Arlington Heights -- Granite Falls -- Monroe -- Duvall -- Carnation -- Fall City -- Redmond -- either side of Sammamish -- Home

I love that farmland on the eastern side

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Link high bridge road, Ben Howard, sultan basin, and stop for the view at spada lake. Then take woods creek rd to old pipeline, and work north to granite falls. Take Jonathan road to Arlington and get home from there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Looks like a good ride, but I might need to keep it a little closer to home: schedule has changed this week and I've only got about half a day to ride on Wednesday.
I'm out of South Seattle/rainier beach. Thinking head ne to fall city and hit 203 through carnation then Monroe and back south?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Glad I rode yesterday. Today is looking quite rainy.

So for the next weekend I have available to ride, I'm wondering... should I hit the south side of the Gorge or the north side? Which is the more fun ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Either way, stay off I-84.

I'd do the Washington side from the Couv to White Salmon, then cross the toll bridge to Hood River and take 30 to The Dalles.

Too bad Maryhill Loops Rd. is a closed course but you get some of the same sort of road architecture on 30 south of the river.

• Locked thread