Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Either way, stay off I-84.

Very much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well, I failed in getting out for a good ride. Tomorrow will be filled with touch-up paint and filling fixture/picture holes in the walls. I will, however, be having dinner at my parent's house out in Seabeck. At the very least, I can get a Dewatto run in before getting dinner.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Took my wife in the hack out to the coast earlier today. Went to Cannon Beach. Glorious weather and the hack is running well. Melted a tiny bit more of my riding pants but I've got a new heat shield coming that should fix that. The new exhaust is so much quieter than the old TORs, fits my old man image far better.

Saw lots of riders out with full leathers.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
This weekend marks the end of my family responsibilities on weekends, so next weekend we're going camping.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Walker valley was neat today

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Why did you decide to fall there?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Later dan.

Of all my disastrous Walker Valley riding, I don't think I've ever done that one. You try to wheelie and lost traction instead?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Controlled lock-up u-turn to fall; it's a classic

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I've got the synchronized rolling burnout to asspack as well

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:whatup:, PNW motogoons?

Bikes: 2010 Ducati Monster 696 (currently in pieces awaiting turbocharger), 1977 Yamaha XS750 triple
Wife's bikes: 2011 Ducati Monster 696 ABS, newly-restored 1976 Honda CB400F Super Sport with 1963 Duna hack
Pending bike(s): 1975 Honda CB400F for another restoration project
Years ridden: 18
Down for: twisties of all kinds (mid-fast pace preferred, beginner pace doable), leading / sweeping / teaching good group-riding technique and etiquette, Backfire, helping new riders get themselves sorted

My wife is a member of the Rainier Ravens as well, and they tend to do some decent rides. Happy to post them up for well-behaved folks to join. :)

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Walker Valley is still fun, get a dirtbike for the summer if you live in western washington

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I ride walker in the winter when it sucks to be on roads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aww look it da wheelies. Now just gotta shift them through!

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That first one was a 2nd->3rd shift!

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I went and rode Nicolai Mtn. in NW Oregon this past weekend on my wr250r with a bald d606 rear. Everything was super muddy and I crashed a bunch due to loosing traction on climbs. Twice while lifting my bike up, the rug got pulled out from under me due to how sogged out the trails were. Despite that, I still had a blast and have been trying to figure out how to only ride trails and motocamp forever.

I've also come to the conclusion that it is necessary I have a dedicated trail bike. I mean, think of the money I'll save on repairs to my wr250r, right!? If anyone has any leads on a solid trail bike, please shoot it my way. Ideally, I'd like to stick to a four stroke but would do a smoker because of that holy poo poo powerband.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any of you guys been down to Crack in the Ground, near Bend? Seems like there's just miles of gravel farm road out there, true/false?

Is there a good or bad time of year to check that out?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for tires locally, cheap and now, give south bound honda near Tacoma a call. I just got some PR4s down there at prices competitive with web prices, and mounted for $25 a tire. I think I paid $410 altogether after tax.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Is anyone familiar with Motoshed? It meets my needs okay but is overkill and more money than I should spend on renting shop space.

http://www.motoshedseattle.com

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Hey Oregon folks, I want to go camping in the Middle Sanitam Wilderness at the end of July.

Last time I rode NF-11 it looked like folks just pitch tents or set up RVs in the large turn-outs in the 2-lane section. Is that legit? Can I just find some space and set up? Do I need to pay somebody?

I want to check out Crack in the Ground and it looks like Middle Sanitam would be a stop along a 2 night round trip.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

clutchpuck posted:

Hey Oregon folks, I want to go camping in the Middle Sanitam Wilderness at the end of July.

Last time I rode NF-11 it looked like folks just pitch tents or set up RVs in the large turn-outs in the 2-lane section. Is that legit? Can I just find some space and set up? Do I need to pay somebody?

I want to check out Crack in the Ground and it looks like Middle Sanitam would be a stop along a 2 night round trip.

Someone else may know more/better, but my understanding is that "dispersed camping" i.e., not at a campground, just wherever, is legal anywhere in the state forest. I believe Middle Santiam is covered.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

Yes. http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Recreation/pages/Camp.aspx but it's not a state forest, so instead... http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/willamette/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=4206&actid=34 and http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamette/recreation/camping-cabins/?cid=stelprdb5050177 and you need a self-issuing permit. Link here http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/willamette/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5097165 and here but it's available at the trailhead.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
I'm taking the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles this weekend, and riding to either Seattle or Portland (haven't decided yet), so I'm looking for advice on that as I haven't been to either city before, but I'm more interested in the quality of riding there and back. I'm also going to need somewhere to set up my hammock and crash for the night at some point along the way if anyone knows of any good camp grounds that are suited to that. Any advice, suggestions or words or caution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

B.Wales! posted:

I'm taking the ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles this weekend, and riding to either Seattle or Portland (haven't decided yet), so I'm looking for advice on that as I haven't been to either city before, but I'm more interested in the quality of riding there and back. I'm also going to need somewhere to set up my hammock and crash for the night at some point along the way if anyone knows of any good camp grounds that are suited to that. Any advice, suggestions or words or caution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Aww yeah, hammock buddy!

I'm near Portland (about 25 miles west). There's good riding to be had here! Also a ton of campgrounds that should have trees you can hang from. Most proper campgrounds will have some trees (YMMV) and you can generally camp free in the national forests, and anywhere that grabs your interest.

I do more of my camping toward the beach and on the western side of the mountains, though, so hopefully someone else can give you some solid advice. I'd recommend taking highway 101 down if you can. It goes along the ocean and it's generally a really gorgeous ride. The weather's good right now, too.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you go to Seattle, all the good riding is mostly east or south anyways. But when you come into port Angeles, going up hurricane ridge is fun(and $10 or whatever the park entry fee is) and after that, head west and follow 101 along the coast until it loops back to I5. Continue to whichever city from there.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
I think in the interest of avoiding Seattle traffic I'm just going to hit 101 south along the coast towards Portland and see how far I can make it, with a few potential places to camp in between. I don't care for spending too much time in the city, just need somewhere I can buy some cigars and liquor to bring home with me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Seconding Hurricane Ridge as a cool little detour if you have the time.

Most of 101 through Washington is not real scenic. Mostly forestry land. Gets nice past Raymond though.

If you have time in Oregon, check out NF-11. Get to Sweet Home and go through town eastbound. Look for Quartzville Road, turn left there. Keep going. When you get to the highway, left takes you back toward Salem and Portland.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
And if you head to downtown Portland, go to Rich's for cigars. There's a liquor store a couple blocks from there.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
So my plan is to arrive in Port Angeles on Friday morning, ride Hurricane Ridge then head west towards the coast and south on 101 to explore Portland for the afternoon, where I'll be spending some money at Rich's cigars. Then I've got a place to stay in Vancouver, so I'm thinking I'll crash there and try to do a nice day trip loop in northern Oregon to do on Saturday, then I'll head back up I-5 through Tacoma on the way home Sunday morning, unless anyone has a better alternative route. I try not to do more than about 6 hours on the bike per day. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

B.Wales! posted:

So my plan is to arrive in Port Angeles on Friday morning, ride Hurricane Ridge then head west towards the coast and south on 101 to explore Portland for the afternoon, where I'll be spending some money at Rich's cigars. Then I've got a place to stay in Vancouver, so I'm thinking I'll crash there and try to do a nice day trip loop in northern Oregon to do on Saturday, then I'll head back up I-5 through Tacoma on the way home Sunday morning, unless anyone has a better alternative route. I try not to do more than about 6 hours on the bike per day. Thanks everyone for the advice.

You really don't want to do I-5. It's the least interesting road you can take for hundreds of miles in any direction, and is boring as hell on a bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
101 PA to Portland will take you longer than you probably expect.

Alt route northbound. Strongly recommend that early part out of Carson. It's longer than 6 hours though https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Por...2d48.118146!3e0

Not a lot of interesting stuff between Portland and Olympia along the I-5 corridor

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

B.Wales! posted:

If you're going further North to Seattle, take 512 to 167 to 405. You get an awesome view of Rainier at a bunch of points and you skip Tacoma entirely. Always skip Tacoma.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I-5 through Washington is boring as gently caress. It's only somewhat interesting in southern Oregon/northern California.
Use clutch's alternate route.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

So, given the Zero's ABS and direct drive, would it be a good starter bike for someone who will be doing mostly city riding? I have a 5 mile commute and can charge at home and work, and I figure if I get to the point that I want to do any road trips I can add the power tank and plan around charging stations (or just buy a second bike). I like the idea of an electric for the lower cost of operation/maintenance and I don't really care about engine noise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just to get these out of the way -- the cost of operation is not going to make any difference for you. A 5 mile commute will cost like 35 cents of gasoline on a Ninja 300, or 15 cents of electricity on a Zero. And since modern gasoline engines are so reliable that you can expect no major failures from a starter bike as long as you own it, all the Zero gets you out of is oil changes and chains. (i.e. you'll still have to do tires and brakes).

That said, I think a Zero would be a fine starter bike if:

- you're okay with not learning to operate a clutch and gearbox, like every other motorcycle in the world has
- you're okay with dropping and damaging a $10,000 motorcycle that you may be making payments on
- you leave it in eco mode for the first several months, because they have torque output ranging from "middleweight supersport" to "more than a literbike"

Basically they are super cool and would make great commuter bikes, but the financial reasons to buy one are bullshit, they're pretty expensive for something that you should expect to damage at least a little bit, and if you plan to try other motorcycles later (as everyone does) you're hurting yourself by not learning to shift.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I also wanna point out that batteries, historically, are not very shock resistant. I don't know if Zero has confronted this but it's the big reason I didn't buy one. Of course, like Sagebrush said, the cost for either a 250 or a Zero are both close to negligible, they give you the fun of ridiculous acceleration for quite cheap and you don't have to bother with gas stations, which for me is a pain in my rear end. It's not about the money, it's about the loving CLERKS NOT LETTING ME DO MY THANG! (Oregon)

Also, am I the only one that feels that new riders should have to go without ABS? Am I just being one of those anti-future fogies?

Almost forgot the other reason I stayed off Zero's: insurance is through the roof on those things, get a quote first.

Verge fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 30, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Verge posted:

I also wanna point out that batteries, historically, are not very shock resistant.

:confused: They're solid-state. What issues are you thinking about?

Verge posted:

Also, am I the only one that feels that new riders should have to go without ABS? Am I just being one of those anti-future fogies?

I think new riders should still practice threshold braking, but no, it's an extremely valuable safety feature and I don't think there's any reason to avoid having ABS on your first bike.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Just to get these out of the way -- the cost of operation is not going to make any difference for you. A 5 mile commute will cost like 35 cents of gasoline on a Ninja 300, or 15 cents of electricity on a Zero. And since modern gasoline engines are so reliable that you can expect no major failures from a starter bike as long as you own it, all the Zero gets you out of is oil changes and chains. (i.e. you'll still have to do tires and brakes).

That said, I think a Zero would be a fine starter bike if:

- you're okay with not learning to operate a clutch and gearbox, like every other motorcycle in the world has
- you're okay with dropping and damaging a $10,000 motorcycle that you may be making payments on
- you leave it in eco mode for the first several months, because they have torque output ranging from "middleweight supersport" to "more than a literbike"

Basically they are super cool and would make great commuter bikes, but the financial reasons to buy one are bullshit, they're pretty expensive for something that you should expect to damage at least a little bit, and if you plan to try other motorcycles later (as everyone does) you're hurting yourself by not learning to shift.

More like 5 cents, but I get your point. Cost isn't really a big factor for me, it's more about not owning another internal combustion vehicle; our electricity (in Seattle) is super cheap and green so I'm trying to use it instead of fossil fuels as much as possible (my next car will almost certainly be a full electric). Also yeah they're super dooper cool. I understand from reading enough forums that I will probably end up dropping my first bike a couple of times so yeah I might start out with a cheapo 250 to get past that stage; I've rented scooters more times then I can count though and never had a problem with balance, nor with learning how to shift things.

Verge posted:

Of course, like Sagebrush said, the cost for either a 250 or a Zero are both close to negligible, they give you the fun of ridiculous acceleration for quite cheap and you don't have to bother with gas stations, which for me is a pain in my rear end.

I already have a fast torquey car and I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill, more of a solution to not driving a whole car everywhere with just me in it. I don't have any reasonable public transit or carpool option with my cross-town commute.

ABS takes the guesswork out of stopping quickly and safely, which is most important for new, inexperienced riders/drivers. Forcing them to learn without it makes about as much sense as suggesting they don't wear helmets or use their turn signals.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
After Alaska, I'm sticking to smaller rides for the rest of the summer... got a 3 day loop planned for the last weekend in July. Day 1 Edmonds to Steamboat Rock State Park, tent camping. I've never taken Badger Mountain Rd. out of Wenatchee, usually I just follow 97/2. We'll see how that route is. Day 2 try to find the longest route from Steamboat Rock to Kettle Falls that includes Keller Ferry. Day 3 blitz WA20 through Winthrop, home.

If there are no wildfires, life should be good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bizwank posted:

More like 5 cents, but I get your point. Cost isn't really a big factor for me, it's more about not owning another internal combustion vehicle; our electricity (in Seattle) is super cheap and green so I'm trying to use it instead of fossil fuels as much as possible (my next car will almost certainly be a full electric).

Ok so it's 70 cents per day for the EX250 vs. 10 cents per day for the Zero. You save $150 in gas over the course of a 50 week work-year assuming you ride every day. You'll pay off the difference between your bike and a EX250 in just fifty years! :P

I mean, not to poop on your idea, but you will be saving no money and making no difference to the planet. The only reason to own an electric bike right now is to say you own an electric bike. Which is cool, but make sure you're clear about that.

bizwank posted:

I already have a fast torquey car and I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill, more of a solution to not driving a whole car everywhere with just me in it.

Have you ridden a motorcycle before? :unsmigghh:

Unless you've got something with like 400+ WHP, your car will feel like a slow turd after riding any of these electric bikes.

If you really don't care about motorcycling in itself and you just want something to replace your commute, I would recommend buying a scooter or a small used gas-powered bike. If you're dead-set on an electric motorcycle, I'd suggest the Brammo Enertia, which is more like an electric scooter but should fit your commute just great. If you want a Zero, they're all overkill, so pick and choose for your budget and follow all the other newbie recommendations.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Cross-town Seattle commute is like TDub or CRF250F territory if you want to go cheap with it. Don't worry they don't make cool engine noises.

• Locked thread