Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

I already have a fast torquey carand I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill

I can see you've never ridden a bike before if you think your car is 'fast'.

Even a midsize entry level bike will out-accelerate a modern muscle car, and actual fast, street legal bikes put down times on regular touring tires that, in a car at the drag strip, would require a roll cage and fire extinguisher to be let on the track and warmed up Hoosier drag slicks to make those times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

clutchpuck posted:

After Alaska, I'm sticking to smaller rides for the rest of the summer... got a 3 day loop planned for the last weekend in July. Day 1 Edmonds to Steamboat Rock State Park, tent camping. I've never taken Badger Mountain Rd. out of Wenatchee, usually I just follow 97/2. We'll see how that route is. Day 2 try to find the longest route from Steamboat Rock to Kettle Falls that includes Keller Ferry. Day 3 blitz WA20 through Winthrop, home.

If there are no wildfires, life should be good.

From experience, the ride on 20 from Kettle Falls back to Edmonds/Seattle is a loooong day. The roads are bendy and turny and awesome. Beautiful ride!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even a midsize entry level bike will out-accelerate a modern muscle car, and actual fast, street legal bikes put down times on regular touring tires that, in a car at the drag strip, would require a roll cage and fire extinguisher to be let on the track and warmed up Hoosier drag slicks to make those times.

The Zero SR, with stock tires, hits 60 in 3.3 seconds.

Cars in that class, +/- 0.1 seconds:

2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SV
2016 Dodge Viper ACR
1997 McLaren F1
2016 Tesla Model X P90D 'Ludicrous Speed'

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
And let's be honest, your bike is garbage unless it posts a sub 3 second 0-60.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

101 PA to Portland will take you longer than you probably expect.

Alt route northbound. Strongly recommend that early part out of Carson. It's longer than 6 hours though https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Por...2d48.118146!3e0

Not a lot of interesting stuff between Portland and Olympia along the I-5 corridor
Noted, I think I'll be good for 8 hours on the bike each way.

Here's what I've come up with, using your northbound route.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Blac...2d48.120766!3e0

Also going to check out NF-11 on Saturday as per your recommendation. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

bizwank posted:

More like 5 cents, but I get your point. Cost isn't really a big factor for me, it's more about not owning another internal combustion vehicle; our electricity (in Seattle) is super cheap and green so I'm trying to use it instead of fossil fuels as much as possible (my next car will almost certainly be a full electric). Also yeah they're super dooper cool. I understand from reading enough forums that I will probably end up dropping my first bike a couple of times so yeah I might start out with a cheapo 250 to get past that stage; I've rented scooters more times then I can count though and never had a problem with balance, nor with learning how to shift things.

I already have a fast torquey car and I'm almost 40, so I'm not looking for a cheap thrill, more of a solution to not driving a whole car everywhere with just me in it. I don't have any reasonable public transit or carpool option with my cross-town commute.

ABS takes the guesswork out of stopping quickly and safely, which is most important for new, inexperienced riders/drivers. Forcing them to learn without it makes about as much sense as suggesting they don't wear helmets or use their turn signals.

As someone who does a 5-mile cross-town Seattle commute (Capitol Hill to Fremont), that trip + your goal = a bicycle.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
rear end in a top hat with an electric car chiming in here:

My Leaf is 5 years old and the range has dropped significantly enough now that I can get to downtown Portland and back ONLY if it's warm and I'm driving very conservatively. The round trip is a little less than 50 miles.

I will not buy another electric car. They haven't nailed the battery life well enough for me. I'd rather use some dino juice and be able to go anywhere (like the beach, somewhere we weren't able to go without borrowing someone's car, for 3 years) with some basic maintenance cost and time. When we bought our motorcycles it was like an albatross was lifted off us. We could just GO places. No worry about the range and where we could plug in.

I'm with Gay Nudist Dad on this one. Sounds like a bicycle would be perfect, and the carbon footprint on that is (probably) less than an electric car (where do the batteries go when they die?). Maybe someone up your way can hook you up with a cheap motorcycle so you can see if you'll like it. It's not much like a scooter, honestly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Braincloud posted:

From experience, the ride on 20 from Kettle Falls back to Edmonds/Seattle is a loooong day. The roads are bendy and turny and awesome. Beautiful ride!

It is, and the scenery is better westbound than east

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 1, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Great day for a ride. Hit 6 out to Tillamook and met up with some family. Now we're at rockaway beach and going to track North on 101 until cannon beach then hit 26 back two Portland.
Forgot how piggish the bike gets when riding two up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Pope Mobile posted:

Great day for a ride. Hit 6 out to Tillamook and met up with some family. Now we're at rockaway beach and going to track North on 101 until cannon beach then hit 26 back two Portland.
Forgot how piggish the bike gets when riding two up.

Wave as you pass Banks!

... I'll know.

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008
Had an awesome weekend riding through Washington and a bit of Oregon. Thanks everyone for the advice, my route turned out perfect and I will definitely be back to see more.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do any NF-11?

B.Wales!
Nov 17, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Do any NF-11?
I had planned to, but realized I was due for an oil change and didn't have enough rear tire left to do it and make it home safely. Next time I will be going to San Fransisco and spending a lot more time in Oregon.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

B.Wales! posted:

I had planned to, but realized I was due for an oil change and didn't have enough rear tire left to do it and make it home safely. Next time I will be going to San Fransisco and spending a lot more time in Oregon.

Let me know next time you're in OR, I'll buy you a beer. Or hook you up with :420:, whichever.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that BackFire is tomorrow night in Ballard, down by Hilliard's brewery.

I'll be down there with my dad, who rode his 1947 Nimbus all the way here from Michigan. I might be there on a TS400, but I think the jetting might be too lean. Come drink some beer and check out tons of bikes!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slim Pickens posted:

Just a reminder that BackFire is tomorrow night in Ballard, down by Hilliard's brewery.

:(

I have another tire to put on and dinner with mom tonight

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slim Pickens posted:

I'll be down there with my dad, who rode his 1947 Nimbus all the way here from Michigan. I might be there on a TS400, but I think the jetting might be too lean. Come drink some beer and check out tons of bikes!

Oh thanks for the reminder, I definitely want to check that out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slim Pickens posted:

Gonna see if I can make the CB400F rideable tonight.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I've missed the last two months due to working late and travel, so, goddamnit, I will be there. Probably hopefully on the scooter in my avatar.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Gonna try to make it down to this thing. I'll be the guy on an old Japanese bike with a Gringo helmet and bubble shield.

Do I need to put a tape X on my headlight for this

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dog Case posted:

Gonna try to make it down to this thing. I'll be the guy on an old Japanese bike with a Gringo helmet and bubble shield.

Do I need to put a tape X on my headlight for this

And your tightest raw denim.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Whats the sweet spot time for showing up to backfire? Their website says 4 to 10 but obviously most people don't hang out for 6 hours. I was going to try and hit the gym after work, will the party be over if I get there at 6:30?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

ADINSX posted:

Whats the sweet spot time for showing up to backfire? Their website says 4 to 10 but obviously most people don't hang out for 6 hours. I was going to try and hit the gym after work, will the party be over if I get there at 6:30?

There will still be lots happening at 6:30. Parking may be a bitch to find.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We just got here, my duc and my dad's nimbus are parked on 50th

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Missed you guys but saw the bike, it was a show stopper everyone loved it. I liked the full sized passenger seat, looked surprisingly comfortable if you can ignore that rubber band suspension.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I went to the thing, I saw the motorcycles, I ate a reindeer hotdog.

I creeped on Slim PIckens' dad's thing.

Plenty of ratty weird hipster stuff.

Complies with the latest SNELL standards.

Half The Gear All The Time

A guy using a crazy steadycam thing to film a large plastic model with painted weathering.

Then I went home.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dog Case posted:

Complies with the latest SNELL standards.

This is one of the Soldiers of Destiny some of whom just did the Scooter Cannonball for charity. 3700 miles in 11 days on 125cc. They are Good Dudes.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Just got my first bike after taking the Evergreen BRC - thought they did a great job.

Ridden for: Two weeks
Bike: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (brand new, great deal plus ABS since I currently suck at motorcycles)
Down for: Riding around my neighborhood for a couple of weeks to get used to riding, then whatever.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Hey, alright! Welcome!

You have the right idea about tootling around for a while. Also, don't do what I did, which is go on a group ride with a bunch of people on some extremely hairy roads when you've only been riding for 3 weeks.

Get comfortable, start doing some gentle twisties, keep up your slow-riding practice in a parking lot, and try to ride every day. Even just a little each day will help you keep all the good stuff they taught you in BRC in mind.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A good time to practice out on the road without a ton of traffic to deal with is crack of dawn on a nice Sunday. Ride out to Snohomish and Monroe the back way -180th to Broadway Ave to Springhetti Rd. and Old Snohomish-Monroe road are nice and easy and pretty scenic.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Seattle friends I am considering renting a bike and doing some riding while I'm there.. any cool rides in particular to be aware of? (<150 miles from Seattle proper otherwise i get charged extra hehe)

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/635/Routes/Whidbey-Island-Wonder.html#sthash.u2DMCTEQ.dpbs

This one looked interesting, also was considering going out to the Rainier Vista but that idea is less appealing because of the 2 hour highway drive

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Between Deception Pass and Anacortes is Mt. Erie. Go there if you're out that way.

Or...

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1603/Routes/Sultan-Basin-Road.html#sthash.dFVVckfL.dpbs

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1262/Routes/Ben-Howard-Road.html#sthash.py7YYrxk.dpbs

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/749/Routes/Highbridge.html#sthash.3ZJXwFgw.dpbs

You can connect all three in a nice half-day ride.

Sultan Basin Rd. has a 7 mile gravel section to Spada Lake, which is pretty cool, about where the tight corners start.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I just moved from Wisconsin to northern Idaho, a couple hours from Spokane. This place is loving amazing.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Can anybody I'm the BC/Washington area recommend any good biking roads to hit? I'm doing a 2.5 week road trip through that general area and am looking for some cool twisty roads to see.

I'm from the prairies so the only twisties I see are along rivers.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EduardoEspecial posted:

Can anybody I'm the BC/Washington area recommend any good biking roads to hit? I'm doing a 2.5 week road trip through that general area and am looking for some cool twisty roads to see.

I'm from the prairies so the only twisties I see are along rivers.

Hurricane ridge?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Read this thread, it's short and it's got a few suggestions.

clutchpuck posted:

After Alaska, I'm sticking to smaller rides for the rest of the summer... got a 3 day loop planned for the last weekend in July. Day 1 Edmonds to Steamboat Rock State Park, tent camping. I've never taken Badger Mountain Rd. out of Wenatchee, usually I just follow 97/2. We'll see how that route is. Day 2 try to find the longest route from Steamboat Rock to Kettle Falls that includes Keller Ferry. Day 3 blitz WA20 through Winthrop, home.

If there are no wildfires, life should be good.

I'm back from this. It was a really great ride.

Steamboat Rock State Park is probably the best State Park in WA even if you just want to chill out and sleep in a tent.

It's really loving big.

This ferry was small though.

The former captain of the Sanpoil was riding his Harley across that day.

Friday and Saturday were HOT. I think we saw 103F in Coulee City Friday and it was like 101 in Kettle Saturday. Dry heat, at least.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If thought steamboat rock was very bland as a park. Great camping spot but that's about it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ever hike the rock?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Didn't have a chance. Was only there for one night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Didn't even do the park's "thing", thought it was bland...

The swim area with the sand bar in the punch bowl is probably the best public swim spot in the state too. The water is crystal clear and there aren't a bunch of lake weeds everywhere.

• Locked thread