Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"Best" is pretty subjective, considering WA has some really amazing parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I went to neah bay this morning

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I went to neah bay this morning

gently caress the police graffiti and your 701 is on two wheels? Poor form man... poor form.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are you the guy who blaps his SM around Perrinville?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I'm up in lynnwood a lot but not with the husky. I fart around sultan mostly

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
For anyone that rides in Portland, I'm asssuming/hoping you know about Germantown road. I somehow road the entirety of it (just off of 26 to the St Johns bridge) without a single car in front of or behind me.
It was amazing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://gfycat.com/SomeArtisticHound

Just cruising along by the Baker Dam with some folks.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

For anyone that rides in Portland, I'm asssuming/hoping you know about Germantown road. I somehow road the entirety of it (just off of 26 to the St Johns bridge) without a single car in front of or behind me.
It was amazing.

Judging from how much my coworker bitches about his commute over Germantown Rd, I'm not inclined to believe your fanciful story without photographic proof.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I take Skyline>Germantown every night to go home (west). It's pretty awesome in the event that I don't get behind some cock-knocker from who works at Intel and is being super cool by going maybe 25 the whole way.

It's also one of the most fun rides in town, imo. You can go up Skyline for real fun if you're feeling like doing some twisties. There are some little offshoot roads (Mcsomething.. I forget the name) that are super twisty and a lot of fun.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HotCanadianChick posted:

Judging from how much my coworker bitches about his commute over Germantown Rd, I'm not inclined to believe your fanciful story without photographic proof.

Sorry, I only have a Sena 20S, not a 10C. No video or photos! v:shobon:v

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
i don't understand how you guys commute in Portland. poo poo's painful

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Verge posted:

Well, I take some blood pressure medication so I don't have a ragestroke in the morning on 26. Then, in the evening, I take Skyline to Germantown to Cornelius Pass to the highway to home, and it's generally loving cool and blissful and wonderful. Well, except the highway bits, although some days are better than others.

Plus, there's always :420:.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I used to live in Seattle, and while it's no LA, traffic is worse in the emerald city than here.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Pope Mobile posted:

I used to live in Seattle, and while it's no LA, traffic is worse in the emerald city than here.

Seattle is miserable to drive/ride in.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Verge posted:

I work from home, the commute is still tough

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ADINSX posted:

Seattle is miserable to drive/ride in.
Eh, 30ish minutes east or west gets you some nice roads. I'm from the Kitsap Peninsula, and there's some nice riding out there,and the ferry isn't expensive for motorcycles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
He's right though. I haven't had any real business being in Seattle proper for over 10 years and I am happier for it.

And yeah, just outside or even on the edge of the metro there's some nice riding. I just discovered Prospector Hwy on the way into Stanwood last weekend. Gorgeous little run by some farms along the edge of the Stillaguamish delta. Just following the Stilly up is full of nice roads.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 16, 2016

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

Verge posted:

This is a large amount of why I both live and work in Beaverton. That, plus looking at rent numbers in Portland makes me depressed.

I'm a super new rider though, just tried out the freeway for the first time today. Went great, think I may have waited longer than I actually needed to, but oh well. I have way more fun on the bike than I ever do in the car. :D

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Daemoxx posted:

This is a large amount of why I both live and work in Beaverton. That, plus looking at rent numbers in Portland makes me depressed.

I'm a super new rider though, just tried out the freeway for the first time today. Went great, think I may have waited longer than I actually needed to, but oh well. I have way more fun on the bike than I ever do in the car. :D

Yep! It's awesome. If you get a chance, do the Hagg Lake loop (Scoggins Valley Hwy). It's curvy but not insane, and a lot of fun (and also beautiful) and you don't have to pay a park fee unless you decide to park and do stuff.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Daemoxx posted:

freeway safe, city scary

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Driving in Tigard and Lake Oswego makes me loving insane. The quality of driver is a good two or three notches worse around here.

I wish I could carry a little baseball bat around and knock side-mirrors off of cars when people are on their phones in LO. In most places like like 3/10 people and around here it seems like it's more like 6.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I went and looked at the Oyster Run in Anacortes since it's only 15 minutes from my house.

There were a couple motorcycles there.

And there's my tiny motorcycle in front of a tiny house.

You can see the copy of "Steps To Jesus: The Ride Of Your Life" that was on my seat when I came back to my bike. Somebody must have recognized that I'm one of those heathen Suzuki riders.

Reindeer Flotilla
Mar 14, 2006

I RAN "COMEDY" THROUGH GOOGLE AND THIS IS ALL I GOT! ZULUZULUZULU!

Was going to do the Oyster Run with my wife, but her bike is in the shop with an annoying issue where it sometimes dies while making turns, and I'm nowhere near good enough a rider to double up yet.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Nvm replied to something months old

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
October has been poo poo so far. Typical, I get a new motorcycle and Oregon decides to push my poo poo in with the coldest, rainiest start to fall we've seen in a few years.

Also :whatup: Lynza, I didn't know you ride motorbikes. Or I forgot.

If the OP sees this you can add me to the list for Portland riders. Now that I have a bike with fancy heated grips I'm going to see if I can stomach riding all winter.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

October has been poo poo so far. Typical, I get a new motorcycle and Oregon decides to push my poo poo in with the coldest, rainiest start to fall we've seen in a few years.

Also :whatup: Lynza, I didn't know you ride motorbikes. Or I forgot.

If the OP sees this you can add me to the list for Portland riders. Now that I have a bike with fancy heated grips I'm going to see if I can stomach riding all winter.

Friendo, you gotta sack up. Get you some warm dry gear and ride all year!

Your bike is too rad to sit all winter.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh neat, a rainy thread.

Today I ordered a pair of gore tex gloves from Revzilla. So loving ready for this poo poo.

Bike: 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 II
Years ridden: A few months
Down for: Ugh, goons...

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, blast from the past. Hey Fender. You got a Guzzi as your first bike? That's pretty freaking awesome.

You aren't the only one to give me poo poo either, Lyn. Every one of my co-workers ride throughout the winter. I have good cold weather gear, I just need to get a rain suit.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Get your old man suit, PDX people: http://www.aerostich.com/popup16or .

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Skier posted:

Holy crap, and like just a few blocks from me too. Definitely going to this tomorrow or Saturday.

I just wish I had the scratch for a 'stich right now, but getting one would cost more than my current bike cost, soooo... :(

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Got myself a ZX6R and maybe I'm just being optimistic but this king keeps water off me way better than my KLR did.

Also, sup guys. Looking for jobs in the rain on a motorcycle almost sucks as much as having a lovely job you don't like.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

Skier posted:

Ewwww, Gresham!

I'd be down if I hadn't spent a lot on a Klim set. Eh well, I think I did alright.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Holy crap, and like just a few blocks from me too. Definitely going to this tomorrow or Saturday.

I just wish I had the scratch for a 'stich right now, but getting one would cost more than my current bike cost, soooo... :(

They are worth it and you can use them on any bike

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Holy poo poo, blast from the past. Hey Fender. You got a Guzzi as your first bike? That's pretty freaking awesome.

You aren't the only one to give me poo poo either, Lyn. Every one of my co-workers ride throughout the winter. I have good cold weather gear, I just need to get a rain suit.

Yeah, someone has got to be the guy who ignores the hive mind and does whatever the gently caress he wants. It's a pretty great bike; no regrets.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

They are worth it and you can use them on any bike

Let me rephrase that: I will buy a $1000+ suit after I can scrape together cash for a new rear tire to replace the bald one I currently have, and get a clutch and brake lever that aren't snapped off/bent from the PO's crashing of it. Also maybe once I can get some new plastics for the tail so my subframe isn't just hanging out in the air with no way to lock my passenger seat.

I really want a nice waterproof one piece for commuting, but it's kinda low on my bike priorities at the moment.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This next few days should be interesting considering I have no alternative to riding my motorcycle to/from work.
Luckily the snow isn't sticking, but I'm more worried about ice in the coming days. Portland!

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

This next few days should be interesting considering I have no alternative to riding my motorcycle to/from work.
Luckily the snow isn't sticking, but I'm more worried about ice in the coming days. Portland!

Been riding since summer in Eugene. Just be easy with leaning and stay off the paint good buddy.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Speaking of icy roads, for Seattle-area goons, I suggest you bookmark this: http://www.atmos.washington.edu/SNOWWATCH/

Surface temperatures. Naked numbers are "1-2 meters up," boxed numbers are actual road surface, and boxed italic numbers are elevated road surfaces.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's a small subform, but crosspost:

The WA lane splitting bill passed the house. It's now moved to the Transportation Committee.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/03/02/motorcycle-community/lane-splitting/

quote:

Should the bill pass all of the hurdles in its path it will allow for lane sharing at speeds of up to 25MPH and with a maximum differential speed of 10MPH.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5378&Year=2017

Here's the digest:

quote:

Allows the operator of a motorcycle to overtake and pass
in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken, but
only on the left-hand side of the vehicle and only in the
left-most lane of traffic and only if certain conditions are
met.
Prohibits an operator of a motor vehicle from
intentionally impeding or attempting to prevent an operator
of a motorcycle from operating the motorcycle as permitted.
Requires the department of transportation, when it has
opened the use of the shoulder of a limited access facility
for public transportation vehicles, to allow motorcycles to
use the shoulder during the same time periods and conditions.

Even if it passed, I'd still give it some time for motorists to get used it being legal. The problem I see with this bill is that it will only be allowed on divided, numbered, state highways, and only in the farthest left lane.
Based on the number of idiots I came across who thought that this passed last year, we'll probably see more bikers raging about those drat cagers and getting tickets for not legally splitting. poo poo, one guy I talked to swore up and down that it was legal, you could split in any lane you wanted, and could split at 60+. Spoiler: He was a gixxxr bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Anyone doing the group ride with the Cretins in Seattle this Saturday? I'm on the fence about it, I've never done a group ride before but it might be fun

• Locked thread