Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I just got Automation to work under Parallels on my Mac, so I'm pretty much good to go. Crappy graphics performance, but the sucker works. Got a couple noob questions over the rules and their corresponding things in the game though (possibly covered in the previous thread, but I can't easily find what I'm looking for):

• I can't find anywhere to set the fuel tank size. Is the weight stated just the empty weight (the one that has to be above the minimum weight for the class), and as much fuel as fits below the upper limit will just be added to the car when simulating the race?
  • For the Open class, is there actually a minimum engine displacement requirement, or is it just "if you're below this you're stupid, it's unlimited!"?
  • Does the "trim" stuff (8-tracks and seats and crap) and the prestige and other such values have any effect on the cars performance for this race, other than giving me some ballast when I'm underweight and providing the necessary safety level?
  • When I'm doing the tyre sizes, I'm often not allowed to do the width I want, even if I've increased the wheel diameter to get to the proper profile. I end up just clicking around at random and sometimes it's suddenly allowed, or the value I want just plops into place. I can't really see the correlation between the various values (including ride height and brake size). Wheel arches seems to have some kind of random effect, but it doesn't make sense to me. What else affects how wide/large tires I can fit? Is it just buggy as gently caress?
  • Is there a convenient way to see the total amount of quality points spent on a car? Something easier than going through all the screens and summing it up...
  • Is there some way to fit a decently sized engine into the only available mid-engine body for 1975? Transversal or longitudinal, I can only put a puny lawnmower-sized engine in it before it complains about it being too big. Are there some tricks I'm unaware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, seņor Chips.

After failing a while, the trick to getting it running wasn't too difficult in the end. I spent a lot of time trying to get experimental graphics stuff working in VirtualBox (that a rumour said would support Pixel Shader 3.0) but never got anywhere. Tried it out in Parallels instead, and it just worked (due to having much better graphics support). Crappy performance, but it works, and doesn't seem to be more buggy than it is for everyone else. And I guess the glorious graphics isn't why you play this anyway.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I eventually managed to get a not-entirely-horrible V6 in there. Probably going to be worse than an FR setup with a better engine though. I'm fully realise how not good I am at this.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I've had almost no time to tweak and tune things, but I'll throw what I got into the pool and hope for a solid bottom-3rd finish. Touring and Sportsman, less decisions to make there...

• Locked thread