Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Triglav posted:

I'LL NEVER BE A loving SUIT

Dog-Collar Labor, a favourite old Web2.0ism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Dog-Collar Labor
            /
           /

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

"I want everyone to know I'm not a suit" - guy wearing a suit who works entirely at corporate sponsored media events

he's also the chief editor, I.e. the boss of everyone at the verge. but not a suit

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The Turdge

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
the verge ran a thing on miley cyrus on monday that was the dumbest loving article i've ever read

also lol @ online journalism just publishing whatever the gently caress, miley cyrus has nothing to do with the verge's mandate but they'll do anything for clicks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hell, same

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yellow journalism pays for investigative journalism, just as summer blockbusters pay for arthouse flicks and pop records pay for indie records

i'm fairly ignorant of vox properties to know if there's a margin i'd care about, though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best was when they talked poo poo about how the mobile web was so slow.

then someone analyzed their site and it was like 14mb of trackers and analytics and 800kb of content.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
lol if you dont get your bleeding edge tech news from BGR & Valleywag like normal peole

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

wow, the verge's css is 500kb. that's impressive. then they load another 200kb css for typekit fonts

the html alone on this page is 270kb with 1743 elements. the article is five paragraphs

and this is months after their parent company declared "performance bankruptcy" and started cutting nonessential code

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

holy loving poo poo this is amazing http://nextshark.com/nilay-patel-apple-watch-review-bracelet-tantrum/

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

right ?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

yeah he loving melted down, it was great

and defending that dumb bullshit as "personal style" and saying anyone who doesn't like it is ignorant is incredible. so your personal expression is that you're a hot topic kid from 2002, got it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i read an article from the verge, i read the red text and then realize i've been hoodwinked into reading the same sentence twice

every time

i stopped reading the verge a long rear end time ago because of this (and a whole bunch of other obvious reasons)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

have you guys literally never seen a blockquote before? I mean their design for them is particularly bad but this has been a standard practice in articles for most of a century

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Phoenixan posted:

whenever i read an article from the verge, i read the red text and then realize i've been hoodwinked into reading the same sentence twice

every time
the goddamn onion started doing this recently, not in a funny way, just exactly this

like you have the opportunity to insert a joke from a different draft of the article or a passersby-were-amazed thing but nope just the same sentence twice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

have you guys literally never seen a blockquote before? I mean their design for them is particularly bad but this has been a standard practice in articles for most of a century

block quotes are typically not a sentence you literally just read a second before

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

block quotes are typically not a sentence you literally just read a second before

its cool when the blockquote comes before where the sentence is located in the article so its way out of context.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

its cool when the blockquote comes before where the sentence is located in the article so its way out of context.

thinking outside the block

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

what is the verge

like what is its mandate

pram
Jun 10, 2001
http://www.theverge.com/forums

lol

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

what is the verge

like what is its mandate

"aol bought engadget and we don't want to be suits :qq:"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the thing that pisses me off the most about the verge is their stupid loving videos autoplay. and if theres two on a page well u better believe theyre both playing :buddy:

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
my friend's samsung edge randomly posted photos from his phone to slack. fortunately, it was just a lovely landscape image.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

the thing that pisses me off the most about the verge is their stupid loving videos autoplay. and if theres two on a page well u better believe theyre both playing :buddy:
they don't autoplay in safari :smug:

(thanks battery saver)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Blackula69 posted:

what is the verge

like what is its mandate

a cross between engadget and buzzfeed and a toilet and 10 exabytes of tracking per page

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Triglav posted:

yellow journalism pays for investigative journalism, just as summer blockbusters pay for arthouse flicks and pop records pay for indie records

Yeah I keep looking for those good impartial reviews and stories. Still looking. Gotta be paid for many times over by now.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

it's good business to never do anything worthwhile and just keep churning out crap

it's just plain smart

but i think stories like this are the verge's Effort Posts? http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9240151/trosa-drug-rehab-center-therapeutic-community

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I read a good article today but it did provoke a macroaggression :o:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I'll keep it brief. I'm among the probably very, small minority who wants and good specced 6.5-7 inch phone.

Very small bezels, big battery, 1080p screen is fine, expandable storage, decent camera.

The only ones to hit the nail on the head are the Huawei MediaPad X2 and the Huawei P8 Max. Neither of which made it to the U.S.

Now Lenovo's... Phab phones (ridiculous name but who gives a f***) again, basically hits the nail on the head. No U.S availability. $#%&@#%

Closest I've come to what I actually want is the Sony xperia z ultra 6.44" (bezels were a little too big, mediocre battery, mediocre, low brightness screen, Mediocre camera with no flash,touchscreen issues) Samsung Galaxy mega 6.3" (atrocious specs even for the time) and most recently the Sony xperia z3 tablet compact 8"which had all the U.S. bands and great specs pretty nice battery life but no flash on the camera and in reality, 8 inches is too big especially with the huge tablet bezels.

Anyone else with me here, or do I just sound like a crazy person?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yeah

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like a small bezel and a big beautiful battery

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this is written by two white guys? cool

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

the only good Verge article was on the death of the Palm OS

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

maniacdevnull posted:

ug what the gently caress is wrong with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMmN0HIXAY

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

a good article.

its a form extremism.
to give it credibility, and more importantly legal weight, is spineless appeasement.

I'm shocked that people have the temerity to make the demands they do (adjust the corpus of human knowledge to satisfy my (insert a selfish concern here).

it's a pollutant

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
the virge

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

https://i.imgur.com/myoMkrn.jpg

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

I'll keep it brief. I'm among the probably very, small minority who wants and good specced 6.5-7 inch phone.

Very small bezels, big battery, 1080p screen is fine, expandable storage, decent camera.

The only ones to hit the nail on the head are the Huawei MediaPad X2 and the Huawei P8 Max. Neither of which made it to the U.S.

Now Lenovo's... Phab phones (ridiculous name but who gives a f***) again, basically hits the nail on the head. No U.S availability. $#%&@#%

Closest I've come to what I actually want is the Sony xperia z ultra 6.44" (bezels were a little too big, mediocre battery, mediocre, low brightness screen, Mediocre camera with no flash,touchscreen issues) Samsung Galaxy mega 6.3" (atrocious specs even for the time) and most recently the Sony xperia z3 tablet compact 8"which had all the U.S. bands and great specs pretty nice battery life but no flash on the camera and in reality, 8 inches is too big especially with the huge tablet bezels.

Anyone else with me here, or do I just sound like a crazy person?
:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Triglav posted:

i remember making fun of cracked's listicles before buzzfeed even existed. they were like the popularizer of online listicles. the only difference between their listicles and modern listicles is they still write a paragraph for each list item

oldest on archive.org (they ran robots.txt before this)
https://web.archive.org/web/20061027114617/http://www.cracked.com/
buzzfeed at the same time
https://web.archive.org/web/20061105113712/http://www.buzzfeed.com/

the point of the video they did was that they don't do them because buzzfeed started it, they do it because it works even though they hate them, so they just take normal articles and convert them into the listicle with a clickbaity headline

• Locked thread